Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Coach Tom Ryan's Interview After Iowa
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 25, 2010

Gary - neither wrestler had scored when Morningstar was on top. So the basis of your argument is flawed. He stalled to gain the lead.

I actually think riding time is important to the sport as it encourages mat wrestling. Having said that, I would have dinged him at least once.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 25, 2010

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Gary - neither wrestler had scored when Morningstar was on top. So the basis of your argument is flawed. He stalled to gain the lead.

I actually think riding time is important to the sport as it encourages mat wrestling. Having said that, I would have dinged him at least once."

In this case it sounds like it was. Thanks Ethan.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 25, 2010

"Gary - neither wrestler had scored when Morningstar was on top. So the basis of your argument is flawed. He stalled to gain the lead.

I actually think riding time is important to the sport as it encourages mat wrestling. Having said that, I would have dinged him at least once."

I half way agree here. Riding time encourages being on the mat, but at no time does it encourage wrestling. If they rewarded you based upon how many pinning attempts you tried, that would be one thing. Riding time is accurately named because you are rewarded for just staying on top...not working for anything.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 25, 2010

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"

I half way agree here. Riding time encourages being on the mat, but at no time does it encourage wrestling. If they rewarded you based upon how many pinning attempts you tried, that would be one thing. Riding time is accurately named because you are rewarded for just staying on top...not working for anything."

Can, or should, you be called for stalling on top in college when the very act of riding is a form of scoring? No, you might not be working toward a fall but you are working to control the opponent which is a form of scoring in college.

Does the rule say you have to be working toward a pin, or just toward scoring points?

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 25, 2010

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"

I half way agree here. Riding time encourages being on the mat, but at no time does it encourage wrestling. If they rewarded you based upon how many pinning attempts you tried, that would be one thing. Riding time is accurately named because you are rewarded for just staying on top...not working for anything."

Can, or should, you be called for stalling on top in college when the very act of riding is a form of scoring? No, you might not be working toward a fall but you are working to control the opponent which is a form of scoring in college.

Does the rule say you have to be working toward a pin, or just toward scoring points?"

I could be mistaken, but I believe it says the top wrestler must work to turn his opponent. I don't believe it leaves the loophole of "working to score points."

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 26, 2010

Ok smart guys is my question about a parallel ride that stupid?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2