Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Coach Tom Ryan's Interview After Iowa
Derek Gainey added to this discussion on February 23, 2010

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/34624

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on February 23, 2010

Great interview , thanks for posting it . I have to admire coach Ryans frankness .
Wrestle off at 57 , fair enough . It would be fun if they put it on Buckeye vision !

Last edited by Rick Wasmer on February 23, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 23, 2010

I am a bit surprised any of the Buckeye wrestlers were intimidated (unless it had been Paddock). For Rella and Morrison to have taken a back seat to Iowa is very surprising...especially for 2 seniors in the lineup.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 23, 2010

all i see is a blank box, what i have to do to listen to the interview ?

Derek Gainey added to this discussion on February 23, 2010

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"I am a bit surprised any of the Buckeye wrestlers were intimidated (unless it had been Paddock). For Rella and Morrison to have taken a back seat to Iowa is very surprising...especially for 2 seniors in the lineup."

I really don't want to bring this up, but some wrestlers might read a few things on this and other forums. Some of the kids can take it and some cant. As you know im a big Jameson fan. Some osu fans don't like it when i talk about Jameson all of the time. I don't know if Nemec reads this stuff but i don't think he blames his season on wrestling forums. On the other hand, maybe and just maybe some of the kids read about how OSU fans said that they don't have a shot at winning. Some wrestlers in college and high school shouldnt read forums or the other wrestlers Bio. Now...for all of my Anti- Derek readers, this is just a response or a guess on what might of happened. I could erase all of this and say Iowa was just better on that day. I think OSU will rebound and shock a few Iowa and OSU fans at the Big Ten Tourney

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 23, 2010

I like the idea of 2 out of 3 matches to determine the Big Ten representative at 157. As they say, may the best man win! I like Tom's comment about Pucillo, I hope he's right.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 23, 2010

good interview, Kevin. ---Ryan told it like it was, i like that. ive been there, Carver-Hawkeye is a very intimidating venue. The ghosts of legends are in that arena.

Ryan made a bold prediction that MikeP will win it all. But 184 is a wide open wt with NO serious favorite.

Palmer & Metcalf both know now, Lance is so close.

impressive Paddock-- Ryan was right about this guy.

Montell Marion is very very good, Humphrey truly wrestled a great match.

Make em fight it out at 157, who wants that spot the most.

Morningstar is a great staller-- but the beauty of NCAAs is that if a guy "has your number" theres still other guys in the bracket who can knock him off, if u cant someone else can.

3 Iowa guys are really special: 125 McDonough, 149 Metcalf and 174 Borschell. Borschell is # 1 imo, not Lewnes who everyone except AWN has # 1.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 24, 2010

Wow, great interview. Love the honesty from Coach Ryan. I wish every coach answered questions like that.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 24, 2010

As much as I appreciate and respect Jim Tressel he is the anti-Tressel. Very candid.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 24, 2010

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Wow, great interview. Love the honesty from Coach Ryan. I wish every coach answered questions like that."

Agree completely. I love when Coach Ryan talks about needing to reach a point where the program puts ten animals on the mat. Then he says: "There's no doubt in my mind that we'll get there."

He made me want to work out right on the spot. I don't feel that way very often--not anymore.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 25, 2010

My favorite commentary was about Sponseller - Morningstar. Ryan hit the nail on the head saying the rules are set up to allow Morningstar to stall against Colt.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 25, 2010

"My favorite commentary was about Sponseller - Morningstar. Ryan hit the nail on the head saying the rules are set up to allow Morningstar to stall against Colt."

Then I guess Sponseller will have to make sure he gets a lead so Morningstar cannot be rewarded for "stalling".

I love when fans in crowds start yelling that so and so is stalling, happens all the time at high school tournaments I attend. If they want to avoid the stalling, have their guy be ahead. That is a sure way to prevent it.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 25, 2010

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

"My favorite commentary was about Sponseller - Morningstar. Ryan hit the nail on the head saying the rules are set up to allow Morningstar to stall against Colt."

Then I guess Sponseller will have to make sure he gets a lead so Morningstar cannot be rewarded for "stalling".

I love when fans in crowds start yelling that so and so is stalling, happens all the time at high school tournaments I attend. If they want to avoid the stalling, have their guy be ahead. That is a sure way to prevent it."

You don't think Morningstar legally stalls? What does he EVER try to do on top other than build up a minute of riding time? As Ryan said, the rules allow for his style of wrestling. This is another example of why riding time needs to be done away with in college. It encourages wrestlers to shut down on top and simply hang on. That would be a positive change to college wrestling, IMO.
By the way, you are correct in your assessment that to force Morningstar to wrestle he simply needs to have the lead.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 25, 2010

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

I love when fans in crowds start yelling that so and so is stalling, happens all the time at high school tournaments I attend. If they want to avoid the stalling, have their guy be ahead. That is a sure way to prevent it."

You don't think Morningstar legally stalls? What does he EVER try to do on top other than build up a minute of riding time? As Ryan said, the rules allow for his style of wrestling. This is another example of why riding time needs to be done away with in college. It encourages wrestlers to shut down on top and simply hang on. That would be a positive change to college wrestling, IMO.
By the way, you are correct in your assessment that to force Morningstar to wrestle he simply needs to have the lead."

Mike, that applies in many sports. If you don't want your opponent to run up the football or basketball score, then have more points than they do. I know it is often easier said than done, but there are ways to prevent things like this.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 25, 2010

Maybe someone can help me with a rule I thought I saw enforced last year. I personally agree with someone who said all Morningstar does is throw the leg in and ride. No doubt about it. Never tries to turn. The same person commented that at least Sponseller was at least trying to work a half and turn. I also agree with that.

Last year, and maybe I'm thinking of high school, I thought if someone parallel rode rather than went perpendiclar trying to score they would be called for stalling. So when Morningstar thows a leg in and just sits there, wouldn't that be a parallel ride or are they only talking about when someone is flattened?

Please eliminate my ignorance (at least in that area).

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next