Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Buckeyes' star recruit, Derek Garcia, wins his fourth state title
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 23, 2010

i think its 165 Garcia, 174 Sponseller and 184 Heflin. Heflin geting some recent raves.

cant redshirt Garcia, he will get bored and leave for the OTC who is still hard after him.

Right now Garcia could be 160, not 171, he got hurt in football so when he came back mid wr season he just wr 171 since no one could beat him anyway. He doesnt weigh 171.

Garcia quite a catch, but if i knew better his folkstyle mat abilities which are much different than in freestyle, i could predict his immediate success. But i can say Okla St and Iowa wanted Garcia very much too.

Garcia could be # 1 at 171 instead of Chris Phillips? But hes not truly a 171, this the dillema. s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Buckeyes' star recruit, Derek Garcia, wins his fourth state title
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 23, 2010

Nice to hear Heflin is doing well. I liked him a lot in high school. Strong, quick with good all-around skills. His finals match with Dong was a classic.

Does the presence of Garcia and Demas plus the emergence of Heflin and Capone put less pressure on Ohio State to go after Chris Phillips? Or is he someone you go after as hard as you can anyway?

Bucks need to land at least one stud in the 197/285 area. Obviously, Campolattano would be a great "get."

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 23, 2010

Hank,
imo Ohio st must try hard for Chris Phillips, CANNOT CONTINUE to let elite kids leave Ohio, esp in a hard to find upperwt.

how badly does ohio st need Tessari's wt? so he might leave, thats alone ruins my day-- Phillips pleeeezzz no way can let him get away!

Campolattano a possible, but hard to bet against Penn st & Cael for Campolattano. And i'm sure Brands and John Smith will pay him a visit too.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 24, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Hank,
imo Ohio st must try hard for Chris Phillips, CANNOT CONTINUE to let elite kids leave Ohio, esp in a hard to find upperwt.

how badly does ohio st need Tessari's wt? so he might leave, thats alone ruins my day-- Phillips pleeeezzz no way can let him get away!

Campolattano a possible, but hard to bet against Penn st & Cael for Campolattano. And I'm sure Brands and John Smith will pay him a visit too."

Bob is it a matter of Ohio State, or any school, "letting a guy get away" versus the wrestler chooses another school for any number of reasons that STUDENTS pick one school over the others? Or, with wrestlers of this level, is it always assumed that their college choice is based solely on wrestling?

Very few make a living as adults at wrestling. So it would seem to me that other factors might and probably should come into play. Just as they do with any STUDENT. And at the end of the day, since you don't make a career out of wrestling and the option of leaving school after one year like in basketball to sign a multi-million dollar contract that should set you up for life doesn't exist, shouldn't other factors come into play that Ryan or any other coach cannot control?

It just seems to me that to say he let someone get away is not fair. There are other schools that will do just as fine of a job at the wrestling aspect as Ohio State (despite what the OSU honks might think or want to believe), and if Phillips or any other prospect has other reasons (academics, location, environment) for not attending Ohio State how does this fall on the coach? And who would or should blame the athlete?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 24, 2010

"And who would or should blame the athlete?"
-----------------------------

no one blames the athlete-- he did the work, made the sacrifices, had the success and will choose where he wants to go.

however its called "RECRUITING" for a reason--- the head coach sells the athlete on his wrestling program and college, what they can offer him in opportunities. Ohio St has alot to offer, depending on his career aspirations in both wrestling and in the job world. --- And he is from Ohio after all, he has family and friends and fans here which may or may not mean anything to him.

And of course some kids want to get away, they don't want to stay here-- and for some careers another college might offer him more opportunity. Nothing wrong with hoping a kid chooses your alma mater though.

Fact is as long as Ryan is head coach Ohio St U will have a top program. But i have many friends who coach at other colleges, and when they have success i am happy for them, too.

Ohio St U fans suffered for many many years--- how many times has Lee Kemp said that he would have seriously considered Ohio st if their wrestling program had been at the current level back in his day???? Kemp has said it often. s/BobP

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on February 24, 2010

Mark,
Don't beat yourself up. I remember being on press row during the first round of the state tournament in 2006 and someone walking by me and saying, "Taylor lost!!!" which, since it was right after the end of D3 and the start of D2, I thought certainly meant that David Taylor lost. Needless to say, I was shocked. A Taylor did lose... but the Taylor referenced was two-time All-Ohio heavyweight Xavier Taylor from Swanton, not David Taylor. In the words of Homer Simpson, "d'oh!"

""And who would or should blame the athlete?"

no one blames the athlete-- he did the work, made the sacrifices, had the success and will choose where he wants to go.

however its called "RECRUITING" for a reason--- the head coach sells the athlete on his wrestling program and college, what they can offer him in opportunities. Ohio St has alot to offer, depending on his career aspirations in both wrestling and in the job world. --- And he is from Ohio after all, he has family and friends and fans here which may or may not mean anything to him.

And of course some kids want to get away, they don't want to stay here-- and for some careers another college might offer him more opportunity. Nothing wrong with hoping a kid chooses your alma mater though.

Fact is as long as Ryan is head coach Ohio St U will have a top program. But I have many friends who coach at other colleges, and when they have success I am happy for them, too.

Ohio St U fans suffered for many many years--- how many times has Lee Kemp said that he would have seriously considered Ohio st if their wrestling program had been at the current level back in his day???? Kemp has said it often. s/BobP"

Nothing wrong at all with hoping for the best for your alma mater, as I do mine, but "CANNOT CONTINUE to let elite kids leave Ohio" just seemed a little strong to me. That's all.

And I am sure Kemp is sincere in saying that, though looking back on his post-high school career I wouldn't imagine he has too many regrets with the decision he did make. But I could be wrong.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 24, 2010

"but "CANNOT CONTINUE to let elite kids leave Ohio" just seemed a little strong to me."

i was speaking from coach Ryan's point of view-- not Bob P's. i know how major college coaches think, esp in a top state like Ohio where Ohio St U is the Big Dog. It kills them to lose a top in-state kid they badly wanted.

i'm an adult, where a kid goes doesnt ruin my day, but i care.

yes Lee Kemp's career couldnt have turned out better, i agree-- but he has said that on occassion during his telecasts. s/BobP

""but "CANNOT CONTINUE to let elite kids leave Ohio" just seemed a little strong to me."

I was speaking from coach Ryan's point of view-- not Bob P's. I know how major college coaches think, esp in a top state like Ohio where Ohio St U is the Big Dog. It kills them to lose a top in-state kid they badly wanted.

I'm an adult, where a kid goes doesnt ruin my day, but I care.

yes Lee Kemp's career couldnt have turned out better, I agree-- but he has said that on occassion during his telecasts. s/BobP"

Fair enough. No coach likes to lose their homegrown, in any sport.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2