Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Buckeyes' star recruit, Derek Garcia, wins his fourth state title
John Ice added to this discussion on February 21, 2010

http://thenewstribune.com/2010/02/20/1079484/this-mat-classic-really-lives.html

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Buckeyes' star recruit, Derek Garcia, wins his fourth state title
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 21, 2010

Does he help out at 133 or 141? Or even 149?

How do Ian Paddock and/or Collin Palmer match up against him? Or even Nikko Triggas or any of the other current Buckeyes?

If two of the incoming freshmen start, alog with a red-shirter, we go:

125: Stieber
133: Garcia
141: R/SF Collin Palmer.

Not likely, but I only mention it to point out that for the first three weight classes there are 12 high school state titles. Not bad. But - I get it - college is a whole different level.

ps: Nice work Garcia!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 21, 2010

Mark, Garcia is at 171. Don't confuse the picture of the 135 lb. champ in the article with Garcia.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 21, 2010

Hi. I'm an idiot.

Does he go 165 or 174? If so, who does he slide in for, beat and/or back up?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 21, 2010

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Hi. I'm an idiot.

Does he go 165 or 174? If so, who does he slide in for, beat and/or back up?"

I think he'll redshirt and then the next year we will see him and Demas at 165 and 174. Im sure someone else could emerge at those weights in the next year and a half, though.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 21, 2010

I see Garcia as a 165. He was the Fargo champ at 152, IIRC. Demas could go either way- I would hate to see him have the same fate as Johnstone- forced into a higher weight and not be able to fill out enough. Demas is pretty wiry- so he could be like Johnstone, or he could fill out and blow up.

You never know- the skinny ones can sometimes blow up in size.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 21, 2010

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"I see Garcia as a 165. He was the Fargo champ at 152, IIRC. Demas could go either way- I would hate to see him have the same fate as Johnstone- forced into a higher weight and not be able to fill out enough. Demas is pretty wiry- so he could be like Johnstone, or he could fill out and blow up.

You never know- the skinny ones can sometimes blow up in size."

Demas looks like he is going to do a lot of physical maturing in the next year or two. That's pretty scary considering the physical tools he already has.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 22, 2010

Derek Garcia a BIG catch, only drawback is the OTC wil continue to recruit him to train in Colorado Springs, he's that good.

Answer is Garcia will start next season at 165, Sponseller to 174. Heflin for real, wil be 184.

Buckeyes will be down next season, need immediate help--- AND cant take chance Garcia will leave, have to challenge him right away. NO chance of redshirt unless he gets hurt. s/BobP

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 22, 2010

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Does he help out at 133 or 141? Or even 149?

How do Ian Paddock and/or Collin Palmer match up against him? Or even Nikko Triggas or any of the other current Buckeyes?

If two of the incoming freshmen start, alog with a red-shirter, we go:

133: Garcia
141: R/SF Collin Palmer.

Not likely, but I only mention it to point out that for the first three weight classes there are 12 high school state titles. Not bad. But - I get it - college is a whole different level.

ps: Nice work Garcia!"

Great post. I'm not sure I can let you live this one down for a while. How can a guy who is as into the Buckeyes as you are not know who Garcia is? It was a big deal when they signed him. The Garcia signing along with Stieber and Demas is what took the sting off losing Sulzer and Clark. Don't you remember all the talk on this site? Coach Ryan is going to revoke your #1 Fan status.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 22, 2010

Darn. I saw the picture, saw the caption, went with it. I remember him sitting in a recent magazing on top of a podium somewhere. Looking back, he may have won the 152 or 160 class.

Either way, I messed up. I'm hoping that some on this forum will be able to rise above the error.

To error is human. To forgive shows you are more mature than some give you credit for and truly aren't as bad as you might think or as bad as others have painted you to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 22, 2010

I forgive you for the error, does that make me more mature and less bad then people think I am? Also, does the fact that you're forgiven mean I can't mock you for the error?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2010

From what Bob says, it sounds like this is one possible lineup for next season:

133: Triggas (Paddock should redshirt)
141: C. Palmer
149: Jameson
157: Nemec
165: Garcia/Sponseller
174: Sponseller/Garcia/Demas
184: Heflin/Capone
197: Magrum
285: Hiles

John Taylor added to this discussion on February 22, 2010

I actually like that line up alot for next year. Hopefully it that is accurate.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 22, 2010

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I forgive you for the error, does that make me more mature and less bad then people think I am? Also, does the fact that you're forgiven mean I can't mock you for the error?"

That IS the ANGLE I was going for. I have two days with you in the immediate future. The last thing I need you doing, is asking do I think Filandus Boyd and Artem Timchenko will meet in the finals for 130!?

Or can is Fayette a lock for top 4 at 145?

Yeah... I think I have it coming anyway. In all honesty, I most likely owe you for this.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on February 22, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Derek Garcia a BIG catch, only drawback is the OTC wil continue to recruit him to train in Colorado Springs, he's that good.

Answer is Garcia will start next season at 165, Sponseller to 174. Heflin for real, wil be 184.

Buckeyes will be down next season, need immediate help--- AND cant take chance Garcia will leave, have to challenge him right away. NO chance of redshirt unless he gets hurt. s/BobP"

Bob
is he going to be good enough to qualify for nationals as a freshman or possibly more?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next