Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State vs. Iowa Results
Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on February 19, 2010

So far, thanks to wrestlingbucks on Twitter, the Buckeyes are down 3-12 against the Hawkeyes.

133 - Daniel Dennis dec. Ian Paddock, 3-2
141 - Reece Humphrey dec. Montell Marion, 9-5
149 - Brent Metcalf dec. Lance Palmer, 3-1
157 - Aaron Janssen dec. Sean Nemec, 5-2
165 - Ryan Morningstar dec. Colt Sponseller, 1-0

You can follow on www.twitter.com/wrestlingbucks

Add to the discussion and quote this      

174 - Jay Borschel mdec. Dave Rella, 9-0

184 - Phillip Keddy dec. Mike Pucillo, 3-2

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 19, 2010

What a shame so far. Bucks in almost every match but losing the close ones. Of course it is tough to tell how "close" they really are just from scores but when just a takedown or reversal wins it or an escape gets you to OT, seems like the team was in this.

Paddock much closer to Dennis than many thought. Nemec again beating an opponenet going into the third period then loses like against Kinser.

Sponseller and Pucillo well within reach of winning. Could have been really interesting with a few breaks.

197 - Luke Lofthouse dec. Cody Magrum, 6-1

We'll find out how close some of these matches were on the BTN. However, this dual firmly puts the Buckeyes in #4 when it comes to the rankings.

285 - Dan Erekson pinned Corey Morrison

125 - Matt McDonough mdec. Nikko Triggas, 9-1

The rich just keep getting richer when it comes to Iowa, they get the best and win.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on February 19, 2010

Ouch! Thank goodness Ryan let Humphrey wrestle or it would have been a shutout. Have the Bucks ever been shut out before? That was humiliating. I'm so glad the Big Ten Network didn't broadcast that because I was going to pay to see it. In an interview on Sunday, Reece said that only the Buckeyes thought they could beat Iowa. I have a feeling only Reece thought he could beat Iowa!
The Big Ten championship can't come soon enough. Hopefully, this embarrassing defeat will light a fire under these guys, and they'll get some revenge!

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 20, 2010

The matches I've watched OSU wrestled very well. Iowa is more defensive than OSU in my opinion. I know Iowa fans will pine about Metcalf and Dennis being aggressive, but neither did much at all.

Lance was in so deep on a shot in the first. If he finishes there, who knows what happens.

Morningstar wins, but I'm bored to death by his style and strategy. He clearly just tries to tie up Colt on their feet and take the match to the mat. While there, he barely attemps to score, if at all. I guess he won the match, but he made zero scoring attempts for 7 minutes. (I stopped short of saying Morningstar is embarassing to watch, but if I were a novice fan I would have turned the channel.)

I know Coach Ryan and his staff watch film, but I think they need a different strategy against Morningstar. Maybe take neutral instead of down? At least that gives Colt two minutes back to try and score.

Paddock wrestled very well. Dennis does nothing. I just told a friend at work the Dennis just barrels into people, keeps great position, and does little else. It cost him against Oliver. He did nothing in that match either, but he does go forward so Iowa fans say he's aggressive. I define aggression as attempting to score, not blocking and pushing.

I am not trying to be rough on Nemec, in fact I have defended him to date. He has battled injury this season, obviously. But after that match I say go with Jameson. Nemec just doesn't seem to be in wrestling shape, and I don't know if two weeks is long enough time to change that.

In general Ohio State struggles on the mat against Iowa. Just a generalization.

Regardless, the first five matches were inceredibly close and fun to watch.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 20, 2010

I just think that Morningside ride is pure stalling. At least Colt had a half in when he rode.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on February 20, 2010

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I just think that Morningside ride is pure stalling. At least Colt had a half in when he rode."

That's been his MO among many. But he's a Hawkeye wrestling at home so more than likely he'll get the benefit of the crowd being behind him. I'll admit I've seen a Buckeye or two stalling and the ref taking a long time to call the stall on him when he's wrestling in Columbus. That's what happens when it's a home dual.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 20, 2010

Three 1-point losses and a 2-point loss out of ten matches.

I agree with whoever said that it is tough to tell if it was really that close, but someone else mentioned that they watched it and that tOSU looked good.

About a month to rectify those close matches.

I'm still not sold on moral victories.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 20, 2010

A couple things, the Buckeyes are a very good team that headed into the dual 18-1; Iowa is undefeated for a reason.

Iowa at home, almost never loses. The Buckeyes don't match up well as many studs met up head to head and lost close decisions. Carver-Hawkeye Arena is definitely an advantage to the Iowa wrestler in terms of calls, crowd support, and emotional arousal.

Paddock wrestled well, Dennis wanted no part of upper body wrestling; he grinds and attacks legs. In order for Paddock to win this match, he needs to go upstairs and throw him preferably to his back otherwise Dennis will anklebite him with constant pressure and leg attacks.

Reece looked awesome. I have the feeling that given the right background in life we would be watching Reece on the Xgames and MTV cribs. He is one of, if not the best pound for pound athlete in college sport.

Palmer, tonight was not his night, but I like the odds of beating Metcalf 1 out of 3 times. The odds of Palmer getting his win just keep getting better with each match they wrestle.

Nemec's conditioning was a factor. If it were a two minute bout he would have won. I, too, would have loved to seen Jameson wrestle their guy. It would have been fireworks

Ridingstar beat Colt on a tactical match. Complete ride with no attempt to turn--- boring. All the more reason to make changes to the sport.

Rella was outwrestled. Borschel is likely finalist

Pucillo and Keddy. Two similar body types. Evenly matched. I take Mike when this one is not in Iowa.

Cody got freshmanned

Corey did not stop Erekson's best stuff. Erekson is very good. He is realistically a finalist.

Triggas got outmatched and McDonough is possibly a finalist as well.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next