Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: New Rules to grow wrestling
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 11, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Wrestling is the proverbial taco cart on the south side of town that serves up the best food, but no one would know it because of cultural and location barriers."

I love the taco cart.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Lou Demas added to this discussion on February 11, 2010

The reason I have yet addressed this topic, is because I have a bias towards Freestyle and Greco. I would like to get rid of folkstyle I think it hurts us at the international level and makes it difficult for many U.S wrestling fans to embrace wrestling at the international level. I would liken it to people who watch college football also tend to watch pro football, they understand it they grew up with it.
Now for those of you have read this and felt it was stupid or I wasted 30 sec of my life writing it, let me say this. You are wrong! When people make comments like thats stupid or you wasted your time writing that, it's like telling someone '' you like chocolate ice cream that stupid, I like vanilla''. The real question is, are we selling chocolate when most prefer vanilla.
Rex gave his idea's on how to popularize wrestling,those idea's could be proven wrong if vast majority did not agree but they could not be proven stupid. Maybe, Rex posted his views to see how people react would in the wrestling community and to see if they saw it the same way, as many had. This is not stupid or a waste of time, this is done in businesses, class rooms and politics all the time.
Now what is a waste of time is writing on an open forum insults or writing you bio, thinking that somehow legitimizes you insults.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 11, 2010

Quote from Lou Demas's post:

"The reason I have yet addressed this topic, is because I have a bias towards Freestyle and Greco. I would like to get rid of folkstyle I think it hurts us at the international level and makes it difficult for many U.S wrestling fans to embrace wrestling at the international level. I would liken it to people who watch college football also tend to watch pro football, they understand it they grew up with it.
Now for those of you have read this and felt it was stupid or I wasted 30 sec of my life writing it, let me say this. You are wrong! When people make comments like thats stupid or you wasted your time writing that, it's like telling someone '' you like chocolate ice cream that stupid, I like vanilla''. The real question is, are we selling chocolate when most prefer vanilla.
Rex gave his idea's on how to popularize wrestling,those idea's could be proven wrong if vast majority did not agree but they could not be proven stupid. Maybe, Rex posted his views to see how people react would in the wrestling community and to see if they saw it the same way, as many had. This is not stupid or a waste of time, this is done in businesses, class rooms and politics all the time.
Now what is a waste of time is writing on an open forum insults or writing you bio, thinking that somehow legitimizes you insults."

I'm just the opposite - haven't seen enough of either Greco or Freestyle to like or appreciate them I guess. (I hate the body hold restarts, and the almost purely defensive-ness of freestyle) I grew up with folkstyle, have followed HS wrestling for years and now follow college, so I know enough to appreciate it. I suppose if they switched HS wrestling to freestyle or Greco, new fans would learn it and like it, but I'd walk away.

Just my $.02.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on February 11, 2010

Rex,

The experiment becomes law. The guys worked much harder with the 20 to 30 second go. Infact, it seemed the bottom guy was really the agressive person. The longer the go the more they rode the hip, hooked a leg and got a bar.

What I love about freestyle and greco is that you must maintain position. If you roll around you give away easy points. I want our kids wrestling it in the summer because they learn that bad position with good people you will give points. With greco it's one of two things. one the novice learns body position and learns how to hand fight and be comfortable in the upper body movements. two it allows the guys that have that knack for the positions to find their voice. It can be a great learning experience to step out side the comfort zone and make it fit.

These changes can work.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 12, 2010

Bill-

I think they could work, too, but I am not naive enough to think that my opinion makes much a difference in the big picture, however, it is fun to be an architect of greater things.

Lesson learned. The content improved and you just gave the athlete an end point, which influences motivation. No more filler. Hooking an ankle and riding hips is just that and it does not win fans for repeat business. Riding is like a filibuster. It serves an end, but how many people tune in to what is being offered.

Also, the minute break in between rounds would take on the quality of recovery and instruction, which takes place in boxing. It is an interesting dynamic that I enjoy because of its' drama. Anyone get sold on Rocky when Mick cut him or does anyone tune in to what the trainers are saying in between rounds during a boxing match. I do. Again it offers a little something extra that affects our senses and interests.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on February 12, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Bill-

I think they could work, too, but I am not naive enough to think that my opinion makes much a difference in the big picture, however, it is fun to be an architect of greater things.

Lesson learned. The content improved and you just gave the athlete an end point, which influences motivation. No more filler. Hooking an ankle and riding hips is just that and it does not win fans for repeat business. Riding is like a filibuster. It serves an end, but how many people tune in to what is being offered.

Also, the minute break in between rounds would take on the quality of recovery and instruction, which takes place in boxing. It is an interesting dynamic that I enjoy because of its' drama. Anyone get sold on Rocky when Mick cut him or does anyone tune in to what the trainers are saying in between rounds during a boxing match. I do. Again it offers a little something extra that affects our senses and interests."

Rex,
Every good idea has to start somewhere! Why not here, with you?

A minute break, would be great for "TV" but it may take away from watching the event live. However this doesn't hurt MMA and Boxing so that's almost an invalid arguement

MMA is forcing the action from the ground to make things mor marketable, maybe wrestling needs to follow suit.

Rocky IV
"He is a man" That dialgoue between rounds immortalized that fight!

On a side note, anyone know what happened with the Matt Hammil movie?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3