Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Q&A with Ohio State head coach Tom Ryan
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 9, 2010

Bob: With a last sentence like that, I vote annoyance!

Change it to Ohio State 110, Iowa 99.5, Iowa St. 91.5... and you'll be the man!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 9, 2010

well Mark, numbers usually don't lie or at least are usually good indicators. Ohio st needs several to wrestle well above their curent rankings to be in contention for top 3. Pucillo can do that for sure.

but aside from Hump, Pucillo, Palmer and maybe Sponseller, i'll include Spon because he has shown flashes the last 3 years and is better on the mat this season-- the other 6 are unproven pointscorers at NCAA. Rella appears to be coming on. But some of the other 5 have to score points and that is unproven.

Don Bork added to this discussion on February 9, 2010

St. Paris Graham is and will continue to be a national power on the high school level. With so many good kids in their program how is it that we have been unable to secure a few for TOSU?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 9, 2010

Not including the Schlatters - heck, include them if you want - how many AAs have they produced?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 9, 2010

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Not including the Schlatters - heck, include them if you want - how many AAs have they produced?"

Maybe just the two Jordans at this point, but I think we are going to see that change soon. It's been within the last 3-4 years that Graham has reached that elite level on a national scale, and they are now producing guys that should do well at the next level. For example, David Thompson, Zach Thomouseitt, and Ben Jordan have all had solid starts to their careers. I feel like I'm missing someone else that is wrestling varsity D1 right now, but I can't remember.

Also, David Taylor is going to win 4 titles. I think in 3-4 more years, Graham will be to the point where, like St. Ed, their alumni are perennially producing D1 AA's.

I know they have had extremely promising wrestlers who have ended up not competing in the past, and I have no response to that but that I hope it doesn't happen any more.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 10, 2010

Brian Stephens is starting as a true freshman for VT and having s solid season.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 10, 2010

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Brian Stephens is starting as a true freshman for VT and having s solid season."

I think that's the one I was thinking of.

Don Bork added to this discussion on February 10, 2010

David Erwin has had a decent carrer and I think he will AA this year. I'd take Martinez and either of the Jordans as well as a few others off this years squad. I'm not just talking the elite, but how about some as walkons or low $ schollys. These kids have had great training.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 10, 2010

"Also, David Taylor is going to win 4 titles. I think in 3-4 more years,"
-------------------

what??!!! did we just re-visit 4 years ago when Dustin Schlater won the title as a true freshman and various posters on here said he'd never lose again. Is this a re-make ??????

4 titles, 4 titles, ye gads, has been done by 2 men in history, i wouldnt put that pressure or expectation on anyone.

Many greats have failed to win one-- thing have to go right, health, injury, no bad officiating, favorable bracketing-- so many things can upset the best laid plans of mice & men

Mark Angle one of greatest hs wrestlers of all-time never made the NCAA finals, Heskett won once, Tom Milkovich once, Fried once, DeAnna never won--- 4 titles pleeeeezzzzz NO MAS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 10, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""Also, David Taylor is going to win 4 titles. I think in 3-4 more years,"
-------------------

what??!!! did we just re-visit 4 years ago when Dustin Schlater won the title as a true freshman and various posters on here said he'd never lose again. Is this a re-make ??????

4 titles, 4 titles, ye gads, has been done by 2 men in history, I wouldnt put that pressure or expectation on anyone.

Many greats have failed to win one-- thing have to go right, health, injury, no bad officiating, favorable bracketing-- so many things can upset the best laid plans of mice & men

Mark Angle one of greatest hs wrestlers of all-time never made the NCAA finals, Heskett won once, Tom Milkovich once, Fried once, DeAnna never won--- 4 titles pleeeeezzzzz NO MAS!!!!!!!!!!!"

I have seen the future, and I tell you it's going to happen! I jest...

In terms of pressure, perhaps it is wrong for me to say things like that, but he has said it himself. Not that he is going to win 4 titles but that it's his goal. Cael said in an interview, "he came here with a goal to win 4 titles, and based on what I've seen so far I think he's on the right track to do that."

Now, I know it will not be easy, and I'm aware of the careers of Schlatter, Fried, etc. In fact, for him to win next year will be an incredible feat. I think he will be in a weight class with Jordan Burroughs and quite possibly Darrion Caldwell, as well as Fittery, Adam Hall and numerous other very good wrestlers.

Even so, I think he has a better shot to do it than just about anyone I've seen since I've been following wrestling (which, admittedly, isn't nearly as long as many people on this forum). Obviously staying healthy is a bit of fortune that he will need on his side.

Consider it a prediction that I know is a bit outlandish and perhaps, but one that I've thought a lot about and make, nonetheless.

another factor, have to hope no super guy in your wt, like Tom Brands was in with Fried--- both Mark Churrella and Mark Schultz were in with DeAnna. Alot of variables, odds way way way way against it. In fact winning TWO is huge achievement-- but i cant say he wont do it. I hope he does.

However hyperbole is a pieve of mine, its everywhere, much more and more today than ever in all sports.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 10, 2010

Ben: Four titles? It's happened twice. Gotta side with Bob. 4x AA is remarkable enough.

I do think Taylor will have a great career.

glad u brought up 4X AA achievement Hank, statistically that is more difficult to do than be NCAA champion, yes its true.

Ohio St U has only had ONE 4X AA, Tommy Rowlands, but 2 more could add names to list this season, Lance Palmer and Mike Pucillo.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2