Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Dear Lee Kemp
Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on February 8, 2010

Lee went to Chardon, not Columbia. No big deal, I just know I never saw him at practice at Columbia. lol

Go Raiders!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 8, 2010

"If I missing some thing let me know, if some one has stats on how many people choose to watch a sport because they just loved the way the announcer did his job, I would be very interested to see them. Or even what percentage of wrestling fans won't watch the sport they love because of bad announcing?"

Lou-

It sounds like you are fairly set in your beliefs, but if you will humor me by listening to my argument, I will have at least planted a seed.

Lee Kemp is by all accounts a great person and great wrestler. That does not make him a great announcer or necessarilly give him the ability to express his passion for the sport through the modality of verbal communication, specifically in front of an audience and announcing a meet. If if it were a bunch of young adults and he was teaching wrestling it would be a different story. He is a relative novice announcing meets as witnessed by his efforts. I am not being mean or cruel, but rather an obvious fact. I, for one, would be willing to give him a mulligan only if he were to commit himself to being a champion announcer. Otherwise, pass the mic.

As for announcers influencing the excitement, passion, and nature of the event. Absolutely. Announcers are affecting those of us who are highly attuned to listening. I am a listener, I listen to audio cds in my car, I tune in to what is being said and affects my thoughts and carries me through the lulls in everyday activities as well as any sporting event. If you think about it, you will find that you are as well. If the announcer has something to say that is valid, informative or interesting, it has added to my overall experience.

The function of attendance is dependent upon a threshold to maintain our interest. There is a synergistic affect between all complementing stimuli that affects our ability and desire to attend to something. To the casual lay observer of a wrestling meet, the wrestling itself may not provide enough stimulus to warrant their attention and will turn it elsewhere (turn the channel) or be unimpressed and likely not give it a second chance. However, an impressive dynamic that excites and allows us to form an attachment to something will increase our likelihood for attendance.

The announcer augments the wrestling which increases 1)likelihood for attendance 2) increases the likelihood in which we develop an attachment to the event.

This is huge, especially considering that wrestling needs to be promoted and for people to be educated about it. It has the visual medium through the BTN, but it needs the auditory component as well. Otherwise, it is like a PB&J without the jelly.

I was like you at one time and was very rigid in my thoughts and had a similar view to you. Actually, I was talking to Chris Vondruska about two years ago about OSU building up the meet between U of M and eventually getting it into the Schott, which I pretty much dismissed at the time as ludicrous although I did not say it. But, in all reality it could happen if things were to change. It would be awesome to wrestle in front of 10,000 for a dual. God knows the wrestlers work hard enough to deserve it, but it it takes gradual change and constant application of principles to get there.

We could take the stance that I am wrestling and don't weep for me. I will survive, but I will just be one component of the MMA equation or we can promote it and get professionals to announce it, like it deserves.

I write this post in Memoriam of Ed Aliverti

Also, The best teams need to be aired as they have the highest quality product, which in turn is the easiest to promote. Preference should be given to Iowa, OSU and Minnesota this year. BTN should highlight the best talent in the conference, first and give the other schools their chance to be on tv against the top teams.
Watching the Superbowl last night was a treat as the level of play will inspire greatness in the next generation of athletes. Lance Moore, 5'9" 190 had one of three receptions that stick out in my mind as the best ever and the immaculate reception was not one of them. That reception further cements in the audience an attachment to NFL football and consequently I am a fan of that guy's football skills.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on February 8, 2010

Rex,

I asked for facts,
If I missing some thing let me know, if some one has STATS on how many people choose to watch a sport because they just loved the way the announcer did his job, I would be very interested to see them. Or even what PERCENTAGES of wrestling fans won't watch the sport they love because of bad announcing.
My asking for facts would imply I have willingness to change a held belief if they were provided. You instead gave your own, what I would consider rigid belief, in the hopes of''likelihood for attendance''
Everyone has rigid beliefs, I am not knocking you for that. I would just like to see something concrete that says, announcer's are such a big part of driving and maintaining fans to watch wrestling that we should throw someone like Mr. kemp under the bus this quickly.
Personally I think if wrestling had activities that that our youth would enjoy at wrestling matches so that when their parents take them they always want to go because of good associations they have there, this would go a lot father at driving fans later in life to wrestling. let's face it many kids get bored when there is know action but spice it up with some before half time and after activities for kids and you will have life time fans. I think if you combine this with attacking more youth to the sport then we may have a day that the announcer's might play a more important role in maintaining a fan base.
I love the sport of wrestling, so Rex if you have something I can sink my teeth into of substance I will be cheer leading for you. Until then, we are just TWO guys who love this great sport with different opinions!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 8, 2010

Lou: I feel compelled to chime in. I have no problem with Lee Kemp doing future broadcasts. He just annoyed me that particular evening because of his insistence that every time Michigan didn't roll onto their backs it was evidence of how hard they were wrestling. Actually, it was so annoying I found it humorous--kind of like the scene in Uncle Buck when John Candy can't stop staring at the huge growth on the face of the school principal. Anyway, it was a simple mistake and easily correctable.

Keep in mind that if more people watched wrestling, and the mainstream media had been paying attention, Kemp would have been ridiculed in a major way. I was just trying to have a little fun on a tiny wrestling forum tucked away in cyber space. No malice intended. It should go without saying that I have immense respect for Kemp. I was just having a little fun.

fair enough.

I don't think I will find those anywhere. I remember the NFL doing a broadcast many years ago without announcers. It was an experimental thing.

I do know that I hated the Griese and Jackson tandem and turned them off and listened to the radio when they commentated on The Bucks.

I had a college professor who caught the Public Access broadcast of OSU wrestling and kept watching as he was amused by Bob Dieli.

As for hard facts. Not so much. Just a process oriented look at how I understand the world to be.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on February 9, 2010

Hank,
I took your original post as good humored, not malicious. More like just making a funny observation. I think had Mr. Kemp read it,he may have laughed also. I took most issue with what I felt were post that seem to over dramatize the role of the announcer in regards to its effect on fan base, without anything more than an opinion, somewhat at Mr. Kemp's expense.
This may not have been their intent but thats how I viewed it.

However, after reading all the post I think I have found the root problem, the use of the word Hard! The Greek language has 3 words just for Love with slightly different meaning describing different types of love agape, eros and philos. In regards to wrestling Michigan we needed more words to describe hard for Mr. Kemp.
1.Hard: trying not lose
2.Hard:trying not to be major
3.hard:trying not to get pinned or teched
4Hard: if wrestling Palmer, Hard trying not to have shoulder dislocated
5Hard: if Wrestling Reese, Hard trying to look as if you have wrestled before.

Since I am a man of limited vocab and the biggest word I try to use correctly on a daily basis is mayonnaise I will leave it up to my fellow poster's if the so choose to come up with these different words for hard.

Rex,

Maybe one day someone will do a marketing study on how much influence an announcer has on fan base at large and small scales and we won't have rely on subjective life experiences.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 9, 2010

Mmmm... Mayonnaise.

What were we talking about?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 9, 2010

Lou: I'm impressed anyone can even spell "mayonnaise"

David Brown added to this discussion on February 9, 2010

I'm not sure about actual statistics or studies but I can tell you that the FloWrestling guy is entertaining as heck and informative too. I will watch matches on there just to listen to him and i know I'm not alone. His play-by-play in the Humphrey match against Hofstra last year is the stuff of legends. WHAT! WHAT! WHAT!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 15, 2010

Dan Gable was good on the Iowa vs MN dual Sunday-- he has always been surprisingly good in the past, too, he shares some keen insights with viewers. When i first heard him years ago i didnt think he'd be this good, but he is-- he does his homework, has a keen eye, doesnt sugarcoat it, and explains it succinctly.

i never once heard Gable say someone was "trying hard".

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 16, 2010

I don't mind Ken Chertow. I watched the PSU/MSU match today and I liked it. Just saying.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 17, 2010

Bob-

Regarding Gable, he is very descript and approaches it from a coaches perspective. I have noticed that he has lost some of his Iowa bias and tends to be more objective than he use to be. When he gives props out, it is because someone deserves them and it is coming from someone who recognizes and verbally describes the nuances of the game. I think he has improved a lot in his capacity as announcer in the last ten years. If you think about, he was a total athlete and then a total coach, neither of which automatically make you a good announcer.

I noticed way too much frustration out of Metcalf. He is getting overly disgusted with himself, his opponent or his performance. Not sure which. Towards the end of the match with Mason, he was becoming overly extended on his shots ( because Mason was in Reverse mode) and appeared to be getting worked up. Frustration is the birthplace of anger. Anger in the wrong context begets mistakes.

Mark-
I like Chertow. He is a knowledgeable, exciteable, salesman/ambassador in his role of announcer.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 17, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Frustration is the birthplace of anger. Anger in the wrong context begets mistakes. "

Mistakes like hate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHa3D-musUw

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 17, 2010

i see Tim Johnson whose pretty good and Lee Kemp are scheduled to do the 11 PM Friday Big Ten network tape delay of Iowa vs Ohio St. ---- i hope Kemp doesnt say "Ohio State is trying hard", that would be the kiss of death.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next