Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Dear Lee Kemp
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 6, 2010

My thoughts on Boyle choosing down (as I posted on anthoer site)...

Stupid given the fact that you were pinned around 365 days ago WITH THE EXACT SAME THING!!! Moreover, in the interview PRIOR TO THE MATCH, you mentinoed Triggas' skill on top. Dude...seriously??? And then you pick down????

But, as I mentioned I mentioned... If he was trying to see if he has made any gains in that position, that was a perfect time to pick down. Not to mentino the fact that he will see him, more than likely, in the BigTens. It's nice to know that each practice will have a focal point as opposed to drifting through yet another practice in mid-Feb.

"A motivating loss can be better than a sure-fire win." Tommy Rowlands.

...just sayin'.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason Johnstone added to this discussion on February 6, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Kemp's cousin is a frequent customer to my store. By all accounts, he is a great guy. But he forced me to use the mute button last night.

What I noticed last night that went unmentioned during the broadcast:

1) Joe McFarland made a HUGE mistake by putting Sean Boyle down to start the third. No reason to do it. Boyle looked good on his feet and Triggas greatest strength is top. Even though Boyle had gotten out once, there was no reason to assume he'd do it again. Bad, bad decision.

2) Zac Stevens has really good hip action and it gave Paddock trouble esp. on the mat. Paddock wrestled hard but Stevens was better than expected.

3) Mark Weber did not wrestle hard against Reece Humphrey in spite of Kemp's comments. He looked intimidated and Reece took advantage. Reece was very sharp.

4) Lance Palmer is solid badess. He looks highly motivated. Can't wait to see him take on Metcalf in Iowa City.

5) Jameson gets headlocked and ends up with a reversal. The kid is a rubber band. Not a pretty effort but a W is a W.

6) Colt Sponseller tore apart a solid opponent. I'm not sure Colt has ever looked better. He hit varied shots with different setups. Pure clinic.

7) Dave Rella has picked up his top game alot and he's doing a much better job of getting to a shot. It was a pleasure to watch him manage the match. He's clearly wrestling the best he has in his career.

Dinner guests have arrived. More thoughts to come..."

In response to #1...if you were at the match and watched the conversation between McFarland and Boyle following the second period it started with McFarland saying neutral, Boyle said down and McFarland insisted on neutral but Boyle obviously made his own choice and we all saw what happened from there. Steve Luke and myself were talking about the match and that was the first thing we both said. The next time a 125 from Michigan steps on the mat against Nikko i would venture to say that they won't choose bottom. So no..i wouldn't say that McFarland made a huge mistake, but rather the over-confidence of Boyle was the mistake. He got away in the second, but it's hard to completely shut down a move, especially Nikko's, that win's the majority of the matches for someone.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 6, 2010

Mark, Boyle is a freshman so that was Watts who Triggas pinned last year with that move. But still, everyone knows it's Nikko's signature move.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 6, 2010

I sit corrected.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 6, 2010

A couple thoughts...

1) I wonder what percent of Nikko's pins have come fromthat arm bar/figure 4. I bet it's a huge number.

2) Is it possible that he is the best ever at that particular combination? I mean.. everyone he wrestles has GOT to know it's coming, and yet he still manages to get it often.

3) Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have any success with that move against ranked opponents. I'd like to see him pick up another go-to turn from the top so he has some options when he can't get it. I'm sure that's not anything he and the coaches haven't spent a lot of time thinking about, though.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 7, 2010

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"A couple thoughts...

1) I wonder what percent of Nikko's pins have come fromthat arm bar/figure 4. I bet it's a huge number.

2) Is it possible that he is the best ever at that particular combination? I mean.. everyone he wrestles has GOT to know it's coming, and yet he still manages to get it often.

3) Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have any success with that move against ranked opponents. I'd like to see him pick up another go-to turn from the top so he has some options when he can't get it. I'm sure that's not anything he and the coaches haven't spent a lot of time thinking about, though."

Triggas is also a good thrower and gets some of his falls that way.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on February 7, 2010

I watched the match. I don't know how they fought hard all the time. I think we was trying to be nice and not state that Ohio State was going to steam roll Michigan like they did.

I must say Ohio State is looking like they are firing on all cylinders and ready for the home stretch.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on February 7, 2010

I don't see how a great or good announcer for that matter will bring more wrestling fans to the table in any measurable way. I have only met a hand full of people who go to wrestling meets who never wrestled or did not have a child wrestling. If we want more wrestling fans we need to market wrestling boys and girls at a young age and make wrestling fun for them even if they are not successful in a competitive setting. Many of our young wrestlers father's wrestled, how many more fans would we get if sons and daughter's became wrestler's and wrestling fan's because their mom wrestled. More wrestler's will equal more wrestling fan's!
I have never chosen to watch or not watch a single sporting event based on who is announcing. I do also remain a wrestling fan for type of people we are, people who would rather see Lee Kemp,who has given and continues to give so much to the sport announcing, rather than some slick talking announcer who does not have the passion and love of wrestling that Mr. Kemp has!
If I missing some thing let me know, if some one has stats on how many people choose to watch a sport because they just loved the way the announcer did his job, I would be very interested to see them. Or even what percentage of wrestling fans won't watch the sport they love because of bad announcing?
I still have yet watched Mr. Kemp announce a meet but even if he did as poorly as some have suggested, I for one would still want him there.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 7, 2010

I am wrestling, do not weep for me...

Just sayin'.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 7, 2010

I watched the match yesterday on replay, after I read these comments, and I have to admit that no particular phrase stood out to me. Maybe, for some reason, it struck a chord with some folks and they notice it more. Sort of like when you hear someone use the phrase "you know" over and over again. I listened to a 1 minute interview with Danica Patrick and she used that statement 7 times in less than 1 minute (and yes I was counting).
The comments that got under my skin concerned the lack of knowledge of the rules. This was the second match I watched where the announcers told us that college officials let more wrestling happen past the out of bounds because they call the match differently. No, it is because the rules are different. It has nothing to with us as officials. Change the rules to the college style and we can call it that way too. (BTW, I doubt it will happen as we simply don't have enough room in most cases).
The other comment was concerning the criteria for near fall points. Twice it was stated that 90* is required. Now, I am not a college official but is that rule that different? We need 45* for near fall points in high school with certain situations allowing for points between 90* and 46*.
While I don't think we should have to deal with bad programing, maybe we should just be glad there is some coverage? I would imagine that this is pretty new for the announcers also. Give them some time to develop into a polished product and enjoy seeing wrestling being broadcast.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 7, 2010

Jason--I'm amused that Boyle waved off Joe Mc and chose down. I can imagine that an interesting conversation took place between the two later that evening. My criticisms of Joe Mc were obviously incorrect.

As an aside, have you ever worked with Triggas on his shot counters? You were one of the best situational wrestlers I've seen and Triggas seems lost when guys get in on his legs. I know there's an art to "funking" out of certain situations and that some guys are more comfortable with it than others. It just looks to me like he could use some help with that aspect of his game.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 7, 2010

Hank posts,
"Paddock wrestled HARD but Stevens was better than expected." ------ did Kemp mention it? if not it doesnt count as truly HARD.

this is just another testimony to how HARD it is to define HARD, and to refrain from using the word. i propose a MORATORIUM on using the word "HARD", in fact the next guy to use it will get slammed on here really HARD and i mean it! s/BobP

Jeff Sitler added to this discussion on February 7, 2010

I talked to Lee at "half-time". I told him how the Wrestle Against Autism tournament did last year, and thanked him for the items he sent for the auction. He was very cordial, and told me to email him again and he would be more than happy to send items for the auction.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 8, 2010

Boyle is a true frosh- was Blair Academy's 119 last year, and was Ironman runner up to Jamie Clark after getting by with a hosejob on Inghram in the semis. I am still not over that.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on February 8, 2010

Lee Kemp was a two-time state champion at Chardon High School (1974 and 1975) and then went finished 2-1-1-1 at the national tournament in college for the University of Wisconsin. Interesting, too, that in his national championship match as a freshman, the match was tied after overtime so he lost by referee's decision, a match-decider that the NCAA thankfully does not use anymore.

Scott Casber of Takedown Radio did an awesome biographical interview with Lee called "Lee Kemp: The Journey to Excellence." Here's the link: http://buckeyewrestling.com/index.php?q=node/25210

Lee was originally from inner-city Cleveland, yet his father had a dream of owning a farm and working the land, so when he saved up enough to buy the farm, they moved to Chardon.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next