Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State starter at 157 pounds
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 4, 2010

Anyone know who the starter will be? Has it been determined?

Also, why is Matt Cathell not competing for Kent? Anyone really know?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Derek Gainey added to this discussion on February 4, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Anyone know who the starter will be? Has it been determined?

Also, why is Matt Cathell not competing for Kent? Anyone really know?"

It looks like both of them will be wrestling. ohiostatebuckeyes.com

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 4, 2010

Hank, I had heard that Cathell is no longer eligible.

John Ice added to this discussion on February 4, 2010

I'm going to try and go to this depending on the weather, Anybody else?

Jason Johnstone added to this discussion on February 4, 2010

Drop the question about who will wrestle 157.....Whomever Tom and the rest of the staff puts on the mat is the best wrestler. It's been going on for the last two years. Tom, Lou, Joe, and J know more about the sport and whats best for the team than anyone on this forum or any other forum for that matter. I'm not commenting on this for any reason other than to let everyone know that the people involved read this bs and if taken the wrong way it could really mess with their head. Support whoever steps out on the mat and let the decisions be made by Tom. Just speaking as someone who knows how it feels to be in this situation and read this exact same conversation over and over and over.

John Ice added to this discussion on February 4, 2010

Thanks for that Jason. Somtetimes we can get overzealous. If I have offended anyone I truly apologize.

Derek Gainey added to this discussion on February 5, 2010

Is this the same Jason johnstone that wrestled for Ohio State?? It sounds like its a different Jason or somebody that doesnt really like the ohio state program. When this person calls Coach Tom Ryan (Tom) ....meaning calling him by his first name and not Coach, makes me think that its not the same Jason Johnstone that just finished his senior year. Thats like A.J. Hawk calling Coach Tressel "Jim". It really sounds like this person is trying to cause more of a stir at 157. People just don't refer to their former coach by their first name a year or 5 years down the road. I really don't think that anybody that COACH Ryan coached would have the nerve to call him "Tom" The real Jason Johnstone would call him COACH................If Coach Ryan told his former or current wrestlers to call him "Tom"........They should still call him "Coach"

Kirk Nail added to this discussion on February 5, 2010

It is pretty common place in college wrestling for athletes to address all coaches by their first name and it is certainly not as big of a deal as you seem to believe. Also, I know Jason well, and I would strongly challenge the assertion that he, "doesnt really like the ohio state program".

Quote from Derek Gainey's post:

"Is this the same Jason johnstone that wrestled for Ohio State?? It sounds like its a different Jason or somebody that doesnt really like the ohio state program. When this person calls Coach Tom Ryan (Tom) ....meaning calling him by his first name and not Coach, makes me think that its not the same Jason Johnstone that just finished his senior year. Thats like A.J. Hawk calling Coach Tressel "Jim". It really sounds like this person is trying to cause more of a stir at 157. People just don't refer to their former coach by their first name a year or 5 years down the road. I really don't think that anybody that COACH Ryan coached would have the nerve to call him "Tom" The real Jason Johnstone would call him COACH................If Coach Ryan told his former or current wrestlers to call him "Tom"........They should still call him "Coach""

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 5, 2010

Quote from Jason Johnstone's post:

"Drop the question about who will wrestle 157.....Whomever Tom and the rest of the staff puts on the mat is the best wrestler. It's been going on for the last two years. Tom, Lou, Joe, and J know more about the sport and whats best for the team than anyone on this forum or any other forum for that matter. I'm not commenting on this for any reason other than to let everyone know that the people involved read this bs and if taken the wrong way it could really mess with their head. Support whoever steps out on the mat and let the decisions be made by Tom. Just speaking as someone who knows how it feels to be in this situation and read this exact same conversation over and over and over."

I'm not sure why you even posted this? This forum often has fans who ask honest questions. Unless something was deleted from this topic the first question seemed sincere and without motive.

I'm a big fan of the team. I, too, would like to know who is wrestling, just like I want to know who the starting back will be for the football team next year. Just like it was always interesting to know if Stanley Jackson or Joe Germain was going to start for the football team in the late 90s.

Jason, this forum helps the team 99% of the time through drawing interest, supporting the team, etc. It has been great to see some of the former team members (like you) post here. Very refreshing.

I do realize there seems to be one overzealous poster about this weight, though. That's the 1% of the time to which I refer. And I think he has already weighed in on this matter in a less than lucid manner.

Roll with it. Just like Jameson and Nemec should.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 5, 2010

I've never had Randy correct me for not calling him Coach Simpson. I think JJ's points are well taken. I doubt that it's an imposter. Ditto on Mr. Nail's comments!

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 5, 2010

I would like to think that guys who wrestle at OSU's level are mentally strong enough not to be bothered by some message board. If they are, the problem is with them and not any poster on here. Last I knew we still do have freedom of speech in this nation.

And if they know they are bothered by this, why would they read it? Not the best of choices if that is the case.

Either way, let freedom ring!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 5, 2010

Touchy subject. Both sides have valid points points.

I think it best to be respectful when discussing both wrestlers and their abilities as both are working their arses off and doing the best that they can. To have sideline enthusiasts, critics, fans second guess the coaches or wrestlers can easily be taken as derogatory.

I think there is relative merit to having people discuss the wrestlers and the ongoings as it generates interest and excitement about the sport. It is when that excitement carries over and and becomes a means unto itself and evolves into something negative that it becomes deconstructive. We don't have to choose sides as this is a public forum but it is good to remain acutely aware of someone's perspective or agenda.

Derek-

I don't know how you inferred that JJ was showing some type of discontent toward the team or coach. I think it is more a case of being in the same situation during the course of his collegiate career and making huge sacrifices for the team. Obviously, he was negatively impacted by postings on message boards, real or implied. Personally, I don't want to negatively impact anyone and apologize if I had done so in the past. I only post to this website as there is some degree of accountability here. That being said everyone has their own motivations for posting and I think we can always do a better job of being more aware of what we post and try to account for others.

Derek Gainey added to this discussion on February 5, 2010

Sorry....i didnt think it was really jason J. At my age i just refer to my old coaches as coach sorry

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 5, 2010

When I was in high school our wrestling coach had a great nickname as a derivation of his real name. He loved it.

Our football coach also had a nickname. . .not derived forrom his given name. . he did not like it. . .we did not use it publicly (as far as he knew).

Jason Johnstone added to this discussion on February 5, 2010

Quote from Derek Gainey's post:

"Is this the same Jason johnstone that wrestled for Ohio State?? It sounds like its a different Jason or somebody that doesnt really like the ohio state program. When this person calls Coach Tom Ryan (Tom) ....meaning calling him by his first name and not Coach, makes me think that its not the same Jason Johnstone that just finished his senior year. Thats like A.J. Hawk calling Coach Tressel "Jim". It really sounds like this person is trying to cause more of a stir at 157. People just don't refer to their former coach by their first name a year or 5 years down the road. I really don't think that anybody that COACH Ryan coached would have the nerve to call him "Tom" The real Jason Johnstone would call him COACH................If Coach Ryan told his former or current wrestlers to call him "Tom"........They should still call him "Coach""

First..I'll discuss the Tom thing....He is a very close friend of mine and if you have a good relationship with someone i think it is ok to refer to them by their first name. To even insinuate that i don't have respect for Tom because I don't call him coach is hilarious. Second...to the point that really really pisses me off....To say that I don't like the ohio state wrestling program is the dumbest thing i've ever read on this website. When people say they bleed scarlet and grey, i laugh because they don't know what it really means to be apart of the greatest university in the world and get to compete in the greatest sport in the world while there. I've done everything in my power to help the program succeed, and now all i can be is a fan. Derek, I don't know you and all you know of me is that i wrestled for the bucks.....so i'll make it very clear for you I have nothing but respect for Tom and The ohio state university. i really don't think it is possible for you to comprehend what that program has done for me or what I did for that program. do some research next time before you open your mouth.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next