Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Brakeman Question
Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on February 4, 2010

When talking about the D1 team race, What does Brakeman mean when he states "The district competition at Ashland – where both St. Edward and Wadsworth compete – may well help Wadsworth". ?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 4, 2010

I think what he means is that the wrestlers of the two teams - depending on placement at the district tournament - will get split to opposite halfs (halves) of the bracket at the Schott. This could set up a St. Eds/Wadsworth final better than if Wadworth and Eds came from a different district, which would gain an extra few points along the way.

Far better to make the semis and get third than lose in the first round and get third. Teams points-wise speaking.

Again, all this is dependant on placement. 1sts and 4ths are on the same side, as well as 2nds and 3rds. So, if an Eagle or Grizzly loses prior to the finals, it will be necessary to avoid placing in a manner that would group them.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 4, 2010

I think what he's saying is that the Ashland District has particular challeges for some of the St. Edward wrestlers: Kuhar, Van Curen and Waltz, while Wadsworth's qualifiers are more heavily favored.

If Wadsworth is able to gain an advantage at the District level, qualifying more to State, then they will have more scoring opportunities at The Schott. If Wadsworth wins it will be due to their tremendous depth, the guys who come through Ashland and take 5th-8th at State. The guys not named Buzzeli, Tavenello, Busson or Squire. Those second teir guys, at Ashland seem to have a "easier" road then their St. Edward counterparts.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on February 4, 2010

Thank you both for the info. I would much prefer the old days like last year when one went to perry and the other mentor. It would make states much more exciting earlier. you would get more head to head matches earlier in the rounds. The late rounds are already exciting.

Mark...I think the fact that both are coming out of the same District is what will make this year's State Tourny one of the most exciting in recent memory. Wadsworth's only chance to be the first public school to win DI in more than 30 years is to keep a couple of St. Edward's potential State scores from ever wrestling on the floor of The Schott. If Wadsworth can win at Ashland then their chances increase to win a week later. But they can't just win Ashland, they need to win at St. Edward's expense.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 4, 2010

Bitter: Those are very interesting comments. And I see your point. If Wads wants to win state, they may have huge opportunities at the district level to help their cause.

I can't help but feel, however, that some very deserving kids will probably fail to qualify for state as a result of these two schools being at the same district. Conversely, some kids with less than "state caliber" skills will be more likely to qualify. While it's always been that way to some degree, it's exacerbated by having the two best D1 squads at the same district.

Hank...I think that the point you make is valid, but that's something that Northeast Ohio wrestlers have been dealing with for decades. I came through the Akron Firestone District in the late '80s/early '90s, and I know that there were wrestlers in every weight class that stayed home but were better than the participants from the SW and Central Ohio Districts. When Mentor was in its hay-day, Cleveland area wrestlers faced the same circumstance year in and year out. It's the nature of the beast when the State is so lopsided geographicaly.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 2, 2010

Now that ashland is in the books, Who helped thier cause more? St. Ed's or Wads? Love to hear your thoughts on this.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 2, 2010

You'd have to say that St. Edward helped their cause more, not just qualifying 11, but by besting Wadsworth at 112 with Bright over Grey and at 152 with Abounader over Wenger. It is important to note that Wadsworth actually qualified one more that St. Edward although the finished runner-up at Ashland.

If everything stays the same this weekend as last, then clearly St. Edward is in the drivers seat...but if you've been around the sport long enough, you know that for some strange reason, a lot can change between the District and the State Tournaments.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 2, 2010

would be truly amazing if this very very young st Eds team beat this very very good Wadsworth team.

tribute to st Eds coaches, didnt let good beating by Wadsworth in state duals ruin their season, they rallied their young guys, 112 Bright was TFed vs Wadsworth (at 119)!! Look at him now.

as Blair's coach Jeff Buxton emailed me after barely beating st Eds over there in a dual, and st Eds without Jamie Clark:

"St Edwards ahead of Collins hill. Don't punish the team that are waRriors . Sted competes against the best and puts it on the line often."

that said, i think its Wadsworths turn this weekend-- i'm not rooting-- but i think its Wadsworth proving they are for real too. s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion