Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Graham v. Blair Academy tonight?
Josh Lowe added to this discussion on February 1, 2010

I still think Blair is the best team in the country - is that enough to be #1 ... thank heavens it's not my call.

Blair was without Ormsbee - their normal 135 - at the Ironman.
Blair won the Ironman and dominated the Beast without him. Those are the two toughest events in America.
Blair has seven nationally ranked wrestlers, more than any other team (that's according to the InterMat top 20 a/o 1-22-10).
Blair had six wrestlers wrestling up one weight class from their base tournament weights last night -- they were going for the kill early (because they have some holes in the middle/back of the lineup) and instead got killed.

I think Apple Valley also has an argument.
They have five nationally ranked wrestlers. They also have a lineup that is very limited in terms of holes. At the Cheesehead, which this year featured Brandon (top five team) and Wyoming Seminary (top five-ten team), as well as two other AWN ranked teams in Montini and Simley - they won that event. They also had no wrestler finish below ninth (or was it tenth) - i.e. all wrestlers finished top two in their pool or came back to win the second tier bracket.
The team has also NOT LOST or BEEN OUTPLACED in any event this year -- including as covered in two top ten schedule events this year. They also were somewhat convincing winners of the best event thier state has to offer.

Graham obviously has an argument.
They did after all beat the previous number one in America by winning nine of fourteen weight classes. And it was a statement victory to boot.
They were second at the nation's toughest tournament in spite of being w/o Bo Jordan and Felipe Martinez.
They have a lineup that could tie their record seven state championships from last year.

Some of the statistical sidebars:
A projected Graham v Apple Valley dual is 7-7.
With Taylor getting the upset from Hvolbeck at 103 on Saturday night - those of you that read the Blair/Graham preview posted to InterMat know that a "base lineup" dual would have projected 8-6 in favor of Graham (i.e. without the chasing).
A projected Blair v Apple Valley dual is 8-6 or 9-5 in favor of Blair (AV would have to have a favorable outcome to drag it down to 7-7).
My projection is that Blair still wins the Ironman by about 15 points (instead of 40) with Ormsbee, Martinez, and Bo Jordan all wrestling.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on February 1, 2010

good post, josh

apple valley is very, very tough

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on February 1, 2010

Dan,
Great article and great line about the gym and location right out of Hooisers including the crowd. It was a terrific experience to be there ( I was runnung live posts on the mat.com for people who couldnt be there under my bigfan10 name).Even though I was sitting with the Blair crowd the Graham fans were gracious and knowledgeable. Right behind us were the parents of a 2 time state champ from Graham who lost to Cooperman in the finals of the Ironman and wrestled for Northern Iowa but I cant remember his name- great people. They told me to check out the gallery of champions on the wall( impressive) and shared the rich history.Im pretty sure they said since Jeff took over as Coach they have won state every year since.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on February 1, 2010

I've been to Graham numerous occasions and this by far was the most electric atmosphere I have been in for any dual period. The place was packed and standing room only only added to the effective. It was very nostalgic there especially with the old wood bleachers they have.

The wrestler you reference is Josh Wooten and he wrestled at Northern Illinois. He graduated in 2001 the first year that Graham one the state title in the current streak.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2