Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Saint Paris Graham vs. Lakewood Saint Edward
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 23, 2010

Graham wins this one going away 39-20.

Biggest match of the night is the freshman Bo Jordan over Jamie Clark 6-3. Graham looks like hits hitting their stride heading into next weeks epic showdown against Blair.

In a battle of 103 pounders Ryan Taylor comes up big with a huge pin over Dean Heil as Graham got the bonus points when they mattered.

Link to the live blog: http://coachesaid.com/Blog/Brad-Bournival/2010/1/23/St-Edward-vs-St-Paris-Graham-live-blog

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 24, 2010

Was this Clark's first time wrestling since being injured?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 24, 2010

Yes it was. None the less huge win for Bo Jordan over the #1 ranked wrestler in the nation. Outcome could be different if Clark fully healthy and had time coming back from injury. I still don't think any one will touch him in DI this year.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 24, 2010

"The dual has brought congressmen Dennis Kuchinich and Jim Jordan to the gym."

Should have had them wrestle...I'm pretty sure it would be about a 5 second match :)

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on January 24, 2010

Graham is on fire. Caught Blair yesterday at the Final Four. They didnt look great until the finals where they destroyed Bishop Lynch, Collins Hill Georgia was the surprise of the day in losing to Blair by 3.( as well as very impressive all day) CH pinned the 103 and their stud 140 pounder had Villalonga in a cradle that looked like 6 but time ran out.Blair has some holes - more than I have seen in years. Their 130 pounder is injured and I would say doubtful next week against Graham.That Graham dual will be a barn burner.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 24, 2010

Graham 39, St. Edwards, 20

Dual started at 135

135- Isaac Jordan (G) 5-2 dec. Mark Martin (SE) 3-0 SPG
140- Felipe Martinz (G) Fall 1:42 Matt Van Curen (SE) 9-0 SPG
145- Eric Madsen (SE) 5-0 dec. Rob Mannier (G) 9-3 SPG
152- Matt Stephens (G) 6-5 dec. Anthony Salupo (SE) 11-3 SPG
Graham was penalized a team point for Stephens tossing his headgear after the match.
160- Nick Sulzer (SE) 14-5 maj. Kyle Ryan (G) 11-7 SPG
171- Huston Evans (G) 14-2 maj. Jams Suvak (SE) 15-7 SPG
189- Max Thomusseit (G) inj. def. Brent Frantz (SE) 21-7 SPG
215- Mark Meyer (G) 7-2 dec. Ty Walz (SE) 24-7 SPG
285- Greg Kuhar (SE) 2-0 dec. Lucas Williams (G) 24-10 SPG
103- Ryan Taylor (G) Fall 5:57 Dean Heil (SE) 30-10 SPG
112- Edgar Bright (SE) 14-5 maj. Connor Cassidy (SE) 30-14 SPG
119- Nick Brascetta (G) Fall 2:48 Nick Barber (SE) 36-14 SPG
125- Gus Sako (SE) Fall 5:47 Sheldon Kegley (G) 36-20 SPG
130- Bo Jordan (G) 6-3 dec. Jamie Clark (SE) 39-20

Thoughts-
Graham did a good job of controlling momentum. They started off with a solid decision from Isaac at 135.

Felipe then got it "rolling" with that cement mixer variation that he loves to pin Van Curen. It is the same move hit 5ed Van Curen with last year before being DQ'ed. This time he stuck him with it. Felipe is just sickeningly good.

Eds won a big tossup at 145 after both teams bumped their regular 45s to 152. Madsen controlled the match and it's pace the whole way to win over the freshman Mannier.

Graham won the first crucial match as Stephens edged out Salupo. Salupo racked his knee pretty well in the second but was able to continue without it affecting him too much, it seemed. Stephens took the better shots and more of them. He wrestled a very good match. Salupo seemingly conceded a takedown in the first when Stephens had a single up in the air- that was kind of confusing.

Nick Sulzer won big over state champ Kyle Ryan. It wasn't the 18-5 results from the Ironman, but he still majored a defending state champ. This was one of the spots where Ed's could have picked up some momentum, but Salupo losing the previous match kind of hurt that. Sulzer did a great job technically. After hitting all kinds of outside shots in their first match, Ryan physically closed the gap to take that away from him, and came in heavy on the head. Sulzer then proceeded to hit probably four doubles as a solution- good recognition there. I was impressed by how well and how quickly he was able to adjust. Ryan had no answer.

Any momentum Ed's had, Huston Evans squashed. I felt Suvak would hold this match relatively close, kind of like Martin did to Jordan at 135. Evans was aggressive and sharp the whole way leading to a very impressive 14-2 win. The Graham kids are all really good on their feet, and Evans is just that, and very physical to boot. He is a very, very, good sophomore.

189 was damage control for Eds. Frantz fought hard before getting hurt in the first and defaulting. This put Graham up 21-7 going into a swing match and with the momentum.

I tabbed Ty Walz to win this match. Mark Meyer did a great job, and he is tough to wrestle. He is so short and knows how to use his low center of gravity. Walz, who is a physical specimen (tall, long, and well built), never really figured out how to get low enough to get a shot under Meyer's hips. He forced shots, and Meyer was able to capitalize and counter for his own takedowns. With the score 5-2 in the third, Meyer took down. Walz decided to go for a turn, and almost had it twice. He is tough on top, but Meyer was able to get a reversal (IIRC).

At this point, Ed's needs a pin from Kuhar, and everybody knew it. I don't think that he shot once in that match. His takedown was off of a Williams shot that he countered. Williams took down in the third and Kuhar rode him out, but was never too close to scoring. Kuhar took neutral in the third, only to hang on the head and not shoot, final score 2-0. I didn't understand his passivity. The times I have seen him, he isn't that active, but they needed a pin, and he didn't go after it in the third.

Turn down to 103- great match. Taylor is just so sick on his feet, he was able to win the takedown war against Heil. Down 6-5 with the clock winding down and the two neutral, Heil went for a throw, but went straight to his back, and Taylor jumped on the opportunity, sticking Heil with 3.5 seconds left on the clock. With 119 looming, this sealed the deal. Great match by both wrestlers- Heil just made a freshman mistake and Taylor was good enough to capitalize.

Eds then inserts backup Edgar Bright at 112 to take on the debut (that I know of) of highly regarded freshman Connor Cassidy. Bright won the war of 9th graders with a great game from neutral, hitting 5 takedowns I think to win 14-5. On top and leading 12-4 with 30 seconds left, he let Cassidy go to give away the major, then got another takedown with short time to seal the major back up. For not being talked about much, he looks very good for a freshman. At this point, it is 30-14 Graham with 3 matches left, so it isn't mathematicaly over- Bright did his part.

Nick Barber wrestled Brascetta tough for the first period, going scoreless, I think. Brascetta caught him in a head and arm and stuck him in the first minute of the second to seal the dual officially. Brascetta really is good. I think even us Ohioans underrate him.

Sako put on a performance against a game Kegley. I felt Kegley would hold this match to a decision. He has wrestled good guys tough in the past- going 1 point with Inghram in the quarters last year at state. Sako demolished him, though, was winning by 12, having hit a cradle or two, and then pinned him with 13 seconds left.

The highlight bout then comes with the debut of Jamie Clark, wrestling the super frosh Bo Jordan. Jordan is pretty well put together for a freshman at this weight. Clark got the first takedown and took a 2-0 lead into the second. It seemed to me that it wasn't the injury that bothered Clark, but the rust. He took a lot of shots, but not all of them were good ones. Jordan is too good to take a bunch of sloppy shots on, and know that eventually one will score. He countered positions well and capitalized well. He is also quite good on the mat. He really is going to be a bull.

All in all, great dual. Graham surprised me- particulary Meyer, Evans, Jordan, and Taylor. Williams 2-0 loss was absolutely huge for the team.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 24, 2010

SPG too mentally tough for very young st Eds team. Key matches 103 Heil messed up when pressure was on, not Taylor. 130 a rusty looking Clark messed up, not freshman Jordan. Even match at 152 Salupo not as good when chips were down as Stephens.

Credit SPG coaches-- Stephens weighed in at 152 and st Eds sent 145 weighin Salupo to meet him. Im guessing Stephens had weight edge here.

three late takedowns that SPG got and st Eds did not get: Heil, Clark and Salupo. If the Eds kids each get those last takedown, st Eds well might win the meet, but didnt happen, SPG kids were mentally tougher on this night.

Bodes well for a now healthy SPG at home next Saturday vs Blair.

Jared Opfer added to this discussion on January 25, 2010

http://www.gohiocasts.com/event/main/show/id/236340-St-Eds-vs-Graham-Jan.-2010-GOhioCasts

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2010

Jared: How am I supposed to get to sleep when that match is waiting to be watched? Cut out the good work!

► Add to the Discussion