Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Cleveland State University's Wrestling Program
Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 18, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Dan R: It's a money issue. They don't want to pay much for a head coach. Increase the pay and watch the program improve."

There are many excellent assistant coaches out there with good track records in DI- several from Ohio. I have a hard time believing that one of them would scoff at the idea of running a flawed program in a recruiting hotbed for a raise (even if CSU isn't willing to pay top dollar HC money- it's more than an assistant makes). I will never accept the idea that there are fundamental reasons that CSU can't succeed- the right people just aren't involved and the administration doesn't care to change it.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bill Splete added to this discussion on January 19, 2010

Reading the posts so far, there is so much desire to see that successful team at CSU and you have all stated significant reasons for why it has not been that, and very positive roads they could go down to get the program we all believe we could get. With the current university support, the coaches only hope is a grass roots development. He must take local talent, develop them, especially guys who we don't know could be great, and make them AA and then he can start to tap into the some of the marque talent. My biggest advice is get out there, in the schools, tournaments, let everyone know that we are looking for talent. FLo and gohio are great but shake some hands, develope an open door policy to highschool coaches. This school is a great opportunity to wrestle D1 if you believe your of that level, get the education, and develop with the program. Make me the assistant, I'll do it for pennies, and knock on every door in greater cleveland, and I will develop a top 20 team in less than a graduation cycle, and most kids will be with in 100 miles of the school. He needs people that believe in the process, but are very cheap. If he takes a page from coach borelli he may be able to generate the money necessary to develpe the assistant budgets through fund raising. Not and easy road, but if he lays it right he will get the talent. I am not soliciting a job, but the point of working for cheap and for the greater cause. Let's bring back Mike Carpenter as an assistant,

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 19, 2010

I think a more appropriate case for studying would be T.J. Kerr at Bakersfield. Huge amount of success for his limited amount of funds and a regional CalState-school; Budget dollar to AA ratio has been very good in the past. Of course I am speaking from memory and don't the remember the specifics.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 20, 2010

coach Ben Stehura has invited me down to see what he sees at CSU, a potential power with alot of things going for it. I'm heading down to CSU to accept his invitation next week. We always want to be fair, theres things we may not be aware of, i'm always willing to learn. s/BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 20, 2010

Bob: I hope he proves me wrong. I'd love for you to come back and tell us what we're missing.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 21, 2010

Bill- Is Carpenter still coaching at Midpark? When I was in high school, he was there, and then a couple of years after.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on January 22, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"coach Ben Stehura has invited me down to see what he sees at CSU, a potential power with alot of things going for it. I'm heading down to CSU to accept his invitation next week. We always want to be fair, theres things we may not be aware of, I'm always willing to learn. s/BobP"

I have been in there room. I feel for coach Stehura and coach Coleman. My company has an office near CSU and whenever I am in town, I make an effort to get over and watch a practice. Bob, I'd love to visit with you and give my two cents, send me a PM and let me know when you are heading over... I might even spring for lunch.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 22, 2010

well Leo, i'm just going to listen and observe and learn, i wont be doing the talking -- its coach Stehura's time, i think he has some specifics he wants to introduce me to.

Tim Courtad added to this discussion on January 26, 2010

Hopefully Ben and Anthony can get this ship running strong again. Ben and Anthony are both quality people with a strong desire to win. OU was going through the same thing last year and look at what one year does. They now have 5 guys ranked in the nation. We all know CSU has the best recruits right in their backyard, they just need to sign them. Kent figured it out, Notre Dame College did also.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 28, 2010

FYI, i had a very nice get-together yesterday with coach Ben Stehura at Cleveland State U-- at his invitation-- got a complete tour of the "new" campus & surrounding area, its definitely not your old CSU. Then i took in practice.

....A $ 250 million Grand Building Plan is in progress, i hadnt been down there in 3 years or so and wow has there been changes, positive changes.

....For one thing 5 new 4-story dorms are being built as part of this grand plan. A new building hosting the College of Education will open soon. The buildings on Euclid ave across the street have been bought by CSU and will house student-type businesses. When finished will be pretty nice campus type atmosphere i think. The further development of the Euclid Corridor helps too.

...personally coach Ben Stehura is a pretty impressive guy, keep in mind he did found the Limestone College program 7 years ago, a place where he was successful. He is deeply committed & enthusiastic, smart, focused. He tells me repeatedly he wants to "build the CSU program the right way." Meaning no shortcuts, no bringing in guys who have questionable academics or character issues. Those guys are GONE.

....coach Stehura's team so YOUNG, ridiculously young, leadership is a big problem this year.

....CSU has to get over the recruiting hump, easier said than done. Coach Stehura and asst Anthony Coleman, these fellows need to sell themselves to Greater Cleveland & Ohio wrestling community. Need more face to face. If u meet & talk to them face to face you will like what you see & hear. -- i like Coleman, a firey guy who loves wrestling & CSU and tells it like it is.

....coach Stehura tells me its actually easier for him to recruit out-of-state now, perception is everything and in Ohio perception of CSU is Not good, he knows this.

...coach Stehura tells me his AD is committed to CSU wrestling.

*******btw, i know for a fact CSU is biding to host NCAA Div I tourn in 2013 and 2014, the 2 years that will be bid on. i know the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission (i am on the GCSC FILA hosting committee) is puting in a bid for NCAAs---- they already got FILA Mens Sr national championships in both Olympic styles here THIS April 22-25 in CSU's Wolstein center, also the FILA Juniors and University nationals are here in April too.

....CSU is fully funded 9.9 schols and they have money to give to the right wrestlers right now, i was told need a 197 btw. There is athletic schol money and OPPORTUNITY for the right wrestler to make an impact early in their careers.

...CSU is in a good conference, fully funded, has young ambitous enthusiastic coaches, entire campus being upgraded so imo its a better situation than commonly believed to be.

...BTW last year incoming freshman GPA average 3.0, so CSU has changed.

...i empasized to Stehura and Coleman that all fans in Greater Cleveland, imo, are rooting for them to succeed, no one wants CSU to fail. They need to sell themselves & their school, CSU has for sure something to offer. These are my impressions. s/BobP

John Ice added to this discussion on January 28, 2010

Best of luck to Coach Stehura and the CSU program.

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on January 28, 2010

I will be with them this weekend, I will get plenty of interviews and matches to give a better idea who they are.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on January 29, 2010

Bob,

Sounds like the experience went well. My thought on senior leadership and out of state recruits. Would it make sense to bring in some junior college person that could fill that void quickly? He would have to go out of state for that and might give him that chance to get the leadership he needs for a young team. I would love to get some local kids into the program. It is a steal of an education cost wise, even if you have to walk on. I have recommended the program to a couple kids, not only because the cost but the fact that it is d1 and in development. Great opportunity. Best of luck to them.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 29, 2010

When KSU hired Andrassy rather than a more experienced "name" coach, I thought the move reflected a lack of committment by the AD. Perhaps it did...

But we all see how well that turned out.

I hope the CSU situation proves similar. We'll see.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 29, 2010

well Hank, we never know beforehand whats inside a guy to make him a superior coach or just a run of the mill coach. Now i thought Andrassy would be successful because i talked to him several times before he got the job and he told me his plans, his vision, what he thought needed changed. He was ambitious. He just struck a good chord with me.

Ben Stehura needs to become known too, i told him that and he recognizes it. At CSU he is fighting a "perception" problem, those aren't easy to dispell.

right now he has a very young team, with probably not enough talent or leadership. But he has money to recruit the right guys who want to make an impact. He needs a 197, btw.

Stehura needs a Scott Brown campaign, like the Senator from Massachusetts who just shocked everyone by taking Ted Kennedy's seat. Stehura needs to-- proverbially -- like Brown did, "stand outside in the cold in front of Fenway park and press the flesh".

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next