Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: The Ohio State University v. University of Minnesota - Third Place Final at the National Duals
Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Berhow let's Corey go, but gets the sweep single, Corey is scrambling to get out, trying to turn the corner, no points.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: The Ohio State University v. University of Minnesota - Third Place Final at the National Duals
Eric Jaynes added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Keddy upset by Ward. Keddy showing no class at the end of the match not shaking hands...reminds me a little of Metcalf. I understand Iowa wins a lot but they do not show a lot of class when they lose.

Berhow tries another shot, kind of sloppy, but gets nothing. Morrison is still after him, getting pushed out by Berhow, Morrison circles back in, playing it smart.

Corey still fighting off attempts by Berhow, throw by for Morrison and gets it for another takedown, looking to ride him out.

Ohio State pulls out the win and takes 3rd with a 26-12 score.

John Taylor added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Did Morrison wrestle Zabriskie in the semis?

Zach Sanders over Nikko Triggas, 10-3
Ian Paddock over Thane Antczak, 6-4
Reece Humphrey over Mike Thorn, 5-3
Lance Palmer over Mario Mason, 7-1
Tony Jameson over Joseph Grygelko, 18-9
Colt Sponseller over Nathan Matousek, 11-1
Scott Glasser over Dave Rella, 8-3
Mike Pucillow wins by forfeit
Sonny Yohn over Cody Magrum by injury default
Corey Morrison over Ben Berhow, 9-4

Ohio State over Minnesota, 26-12

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Corey had a real nice tournament, 3 wins, 1 loss (4-3) to Zabriskie.

John Ice added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Note to Tony Jameson: You Sir are fun to watch!

John, I totally agree. In the past the National Duals seemed to be a springboard of sorts for the Buckeyes. This year I see it as the emergence of Tony Jameson. He went 3-1 over the weekend. He darned near pinned the Iowa State kid in a wildly entertaining match. I like Nemec, but Jameson is so much more dangerous out there.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Don't get me wrong... Pucillo is (in my opinion) a more well rounded wrestler than Ward and should have taken that match. However, Ward is no slouch. He is a physical specimen and this is the second time he has beaten Keddy this year. The Iowa State loss was obviously no fun, but this gives the Buckeyes a look at what needs to change from now until March.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Nice rebound by the Bucks. The team seemed embarrassed about the ISU bout and showed some fire.

I remember now why I enjoyed Jameson so much during his brilliant junior season of high school. That's the wrestler we saw during these duals. As someone else noted, this weekend was his coming out of sorts. Even when he lost, it was not without great effort and two sets of back pts. There's a lot of Ben Askren in Jameson. Give him time and we could be watching someone special.

I also want to acknowledge Ian Paddock's effort against Minny. He showed a lot of mental toughness by coming back from a whipping to win a hard fought match. It's easy for a true frosh to lose his edge and get discouraged when competing in D1. Paddock has demonstrated an ability to stay focused in spite of the difficulty of competing at this level. It's impressive.

Humphrey looked like his old self against an AA caliber opponent. Good win to get him back on track.

I like Paddock's effort also. This kid hasn't matured physically, and it can be tough against older, stronger guys. As a true freshman, I think he is doing all that we can expect from him. He doesn't have the luxury of a redshirt year like a lot of guys (i.e. Mike P.). I remember Reece & Jaggers struggling their first 2 years, only to get better with time. You could almost look at Jameson as a true freshman, since his redshirt year was spent rehabbing, not going to open tournaments and getting valuable experience like a normal redshirt would do.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 11, 2010

"also want to acknowledge Ian Paddock's effort against Minny. Paddock has demonstrated an ability to stay focused in spite of the difficulty of competing at this level. It's impressive."
--------------

Tom Ryan always said Paddock would be special, could be right. Ryan keen eye bodes well for Derek Garcia, if ohio st can keep him from the lure of the OTC which will keep trying to bring him in. Garcia back from football injury btw, is wrestling 171 so i'm not sure his natural college wt 165 or 174 ??

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 11, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Nice rebound by the Bucks. The team seemed embarrassed about the ISU bout and showed some fire.

I remember now why I enjoyed Jameson so much during his brilliant junior season of high school. That's the wrestler we saw during these duals. As someone else noted, this weekend was his coming out of sorts. Even when he lost, it was not without great effort and two sets of back pts. There's a lot of Ben Askren in Jameson. Give him time and we could be watching someone special.

I also want to acknowledge Ian Paddock's effort against Minny. He showed a lot of mental toughness by coming back from a whipping to win a hard fought match. It's easy for a true frosh to lose his edge and get discouraged when competing in D1. Paddock has demonstrated an ability to stay focused in spite of the difficulty of competing at this level. It's impressive.

Humphrey looked like his old self against an AA caliber opponent. Good win to get him back on track."

I'll add that Lance wrestled more aggressively against Mason than I've seen him wrestle all year. Mason wanted nothing to do with Lance but Lance kept coming in an angry fashion. I hope he keeps it up.

Also, what a great weekend for Morrison. Last year, this was sort of the time when he started to get worn down by the size difference and it really started to show as the losses piled up. This weekend, he was 3/3 in those matches and wrestled toe-to-toe with #5 Zabriskie. If he keeps it up he has a good shot to be in the Big 10 finals.

Last edited by Ben Golden on January 11, 2010; edited 2 times in total

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next