Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: The Ohio State University v. Iowa State University - Semifinals at the National Duals
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

ISU just wanted it more and it showed. Long pushed the action and gave away the MD looking for more pts. Fanthorpe administered a butt whupping. Jensen, a backup, wrestled Humphrey toe to toe (why does Humphrey look like the talented but tentative 133 from his soph season more than the monster from late last year? Wasn't the rationale for a move up to improve his conditioning so he'd constantly attack?)

Mueller went hard with Palmer--although I expected a tight match and Lance was hardnosed throughout the bout.

Jameson was the most fun to watch because he wrestled to win. He's small at the weight but that doesn't stop him from looking to score at every opportunity. I'd call his effort the best of the match.

The most discouraging bouts were Sponseller v Reader and Pucillo v Ward.

Sponseller is losing ground in an effort to keep up with the best guys at his weight. He was whipped in every facet against Reader.

Pucillo was stonewalled in efforts to get to his High C or Front Head. In the past, he'd have looked for his third option--a low single to the opponents right leg. This match it didn't look like it was a consideration. He's lost that edge that made him a nasty buttkicker the last two seasons. I hope he can get it back.

Morrison wrestled hard and well but failed to finish. Sadly, that's a pattern.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: The Ohio State University v. Iowa State University - Semifinals at the National Duals
Greg Debbe added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

I'm wondering when we picked up "Jamitson" and "Mangrum". That announcer probably couldn't pronounce Jones correct.

I'm not sure what was worse, watching the wrestling or listening to him. Actually the wrestling was good (if you are a ISU fan). They came to wrestle today and took it to the Buckeyes.

David Brown added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Couldn't help but notice a difference in size and strength of Bucks vs Cyclones. Pucillo looked tiny compared to Ward. I noticed this against Kilgore this year and Herbert from last year. Magrum of course looked smallish next to Varner (probably everyone does). Colt looks small compared to Reader and Howe. In fact, with the exception of Lance, none of the Bucks ever "appear" to have strength advantages over opponents.
Of course, strength is only one component of the sport but it is one that is manageable. This isn't just a knee-jerk reaction from a disappointing loss, it is something I have noticed in the last 3 years of watching the Buckeyes.
It is always nice when your team has the most physically imposing wrestlers but wins are even nicer. Just got me wondering about tOSU philosophy on developing strength and power. In a couple of those close matches it really seemed to be a difference maker.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Quote from John Ice's post:

"We were onty a few points from away being shutout. The wins by Reese, Palmer and Rella pretty close matches,"

I agree. I didn't really think this was a close match at all.

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Quote from John Ice's post:

"We were onty a few points from away being shutout. The wins by Reese, Palmer and Rella pretty close matches,"

John:

Using that same logic, we were only a couple of points from winning this dual. Tony, Mike and Corey all had winnable matches. When number 2 and 3 meet each other there sre going to be alot of close matches. Six matches were decided by a few points. That's to be expected when two very good teams wrestle. The Bucks did not wrestle their best, but these teams are very close. The Bucks were 5th in this tournament the last two years and finished 2nd in March. This year they will be no worse than 4th in this tournament. This team just needs to keep building toward March.

David Brown added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Greg, agreed on the announcers. Mat #3 has a single announcer and he is doing a great job. Those other guys were driving me crazy.

Gary: Stop making sense. I prefer my kneejerk responses to your more patient observations.

Nice job by Dave. Looked like he was going to lose in OT then he countered out and turned it into a win. Forgot to mention this when - earlier.

John Ice added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

Gary, big differance from almost getting a win and almost getting shutout.

Don Bork added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

It seemed that ISU was more conditioned and wrestled with more attitude in most of the matches. Paddock and Magrum are young, and it shows. They are good wrestlers and may have a bright future, but at this point are not very competitive with the elite wrestlers in their respective weight classes. Tony J. is fun to watch, but after being away from wrestling for a full year he is still feeling his way around. Perhaps after wrestling through the Big Ten schedule and the Touny he may be able to help us at Nationals. As for Mikey P. I wonder if it's just that the 184 class is just that much improved or if he is having issues. Phil Keddy has also lost matches to some of these up and comers, so I'm thinking it may be the former. Coach Ryan has gotten his kids to peak at nationals his first three years and I'm hoping he does so again.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 10, 2010

At 157, I thought Jameson had the 5 point move as I think he exhibited control and broke the 45 plane. I think the referee did not know what he was viewing, granted he had a lot closer look at that angle than me. Reader's technique is clean and he is a stud. Varner is a physical beast. Pucillo's opponent was extremely game. Mike is not wrestling at his highest form and I am hoping he is not getting down on himself for losing a couple situations & the relative inability to get his offense rolling. Iowa State was tremendous with their hand position. That sort of thing makes getting to a leg a very difficult task. Corey wins that one if he does a good job of downblocking or crossblocking Zabriskie. It reminded me of the match against Porter of KSU. Had it in the bag and did not execute. That one would have made the sting of the team loss a lot more bearable. Regroup and drive on

Rex: I think you summed it up well. As to Morrison, I'm of the opinion he's going to finally get it figured out by nationals and sneak in for a low place.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2