Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Defending NCAA champion Jordan Burroughs out for rest of the season
Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on December 23, 2009

Major bummer... I love watching him compete. Assuming he gets the medical redshirt (which he probably will), he'll be back next year. Nebraska will still be tough, but he was obviously a major point scorer.

http://themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=21222

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Defending NCAA champion Jordan Burroughs out for rest of the season
Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on December 23, 2009

Wow...that opens up 157 to some people.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 23, 2009

When I saw he lost to CMU's Brown in OT, I thought it was strange. Too bad, seems like a class act young man from what I've read in his interviews.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 23, 2009

Supposedly he will return at 165 next year- which will make things interesting. I would love to see him wrestle Howe or Sponseller. 157 is now rather open, with O'Connor the best bet, IMO. There always is a possibility of somebody like Ruschell moving up for a shot, if he doesn't think he can beat Metcalf.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 27, 2009

No Burroughs and No Caldwell this season. Perhaps the two best wrestlers in the country. That's the way it goes...

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 27, 2009

Interesting question....

Would OSU be better off in their quest for a team title moving Lance to 157 and have Jameson wrestle 49? Could Lance win a title at 57?

Not sure if he is cutting weight but I think he looks like the biggest 49 in the country.

Any opinions here?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 28, 2009

Ethan: Lance wins with power. I think the move up negates some of that advantage. I appreciate the idea.

Nemec needs mat time to develop. He's been very successful the past two seasons in open events.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on December 28, 2009

AWN's NCAA Division 1 Individual Rankings
Ron Good - Amateur Wrestling News
December 14, 2009

157 pounds
1. Jordan Burroughs - Senior - University of Nebraska
2. J.P. O'Connor - Senior - Harvard University
3. Cyler Sanderson - Senior - Pennsylvania State University
4. Matt Moley - Senior - Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania
5. Adam Hall - Junior - Boise State University
6. Chase Pami - Senior - California Polytechnic State University
7. Steve Fittery - Junior - American University
8. Jesse Dong - Sophomore - Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
9. Bryce Saddoris - Junior - United States Naval Academy
10. Shane Vernon - Senior - University of Oklahoma
11. Neil Erisman - Junior - Oklahoma State University
12. Colton Salazar - Junior - Purdue University
13. Steve Brown - Senior - Central Michigan University
14. Bryan Deutsch - Junior - Northern Illinois University
15. Jonny Bonilla-Bowman - Junior - Hofstra University
16. Justin Gaethje - Junior - University of Northern Colorado
17. Joey Knox - Senior - University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
18. Keegan Davis - Senior - Oregon State University
19. Pat Wright - Sophomore - University of Missouri
20. Kyle John - Sophomore - University of Maryland

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 29, 2009

Dong has really shot up the rankings. I believe he was 15th at the outset of the season. With Burroughs out, I think he has a good shot at AAing this year- which would be great to see. Good training situation for Brian Stephens and next year Hightower.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 31, 2009

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"Dong has really shot up the rankings. I believe he was 15th at the outset of the season. With Burroughs out, I think he has a good shot at AAing this year- which would be great to see. Good training situation for Brian Stephens and next year Hightower."

Bubba Jenkins is transfering out of PSU -- and could land at 157 for this season with the opening of Burroughs -- it'd be interesting to see him at NC St. and training with Caldwell.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 31, 2009

Brady- that is an interesting situation indeed. It seems like a strange move for Jenkins, but I am sure there is a lot there that we aren't aware of.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 1, 2010

"Brady- that is an interesting situation indeed. It seems like a strange move for Jenkins, but I am sure there is a lot there that we aren't aware of."

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/story/1704017.html

(forgot to add the article link in my original post)

According to the article, Bubba won't be wrestling this year. It would be very interesting to see him take some grad classes next year at NC St. Him and Caldwell at 149 and 157 (either one either place) would be a formidable combination. I'd have to think he'd end up some place close to home (VA, NC). I have to admit it'd be really interesting to see him become a Cyclone.

It was nice to read that he wants to finish his degree. With only 15 hrs to do so, it'd be very wise.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on January 2, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 1, 2010

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

"Brady- that is an interesting situation indeed. It seems like a strange move for Jenkins, but I am sure there is a lot there that we aren't aware of."

According to the article, Bubba won't be wrestling this year. It would be very interesting to see him take some grad classes next year at NC St. Him and Caldwell at 149 and 157 (either one either place) would be a formidable combination. I'd have to think he'd end up some place close to home (VA, NC). I have to admit it'd be really interesting to see him become a Cyclone.

It was nice to read that he wants to finish his degree. With only 15 hrs to do so, it'd be very wise."

It is good that he is going to finish school- would be a very unwise decision not to.

Regarding weight classes- I have a hard time seeing Jenkins making 149 again, and Caldwell has been rumored to be moving up for a year or two now. I wouldn't be shocked to see Bubba at 165 and Caldwell at 157. I would think that Caldwell at 149 and Bubba at 157 is more likely, but I could see either possibility happening.

► Add to the Discussion