Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Dear Coach Ryan...
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

Can you please recruit Cam Tessari and Ian Miller?

Thanks,
The Buckeye Nation

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

Tessari will do very well in college, IMO. He is so slick on top- it just looks like it comes naturally to him. The kid he beat yesterday, Simon Kitzis, was a national prep champ and has a long list of other credentials.
I just think he has the mat presence that even some of our top guys every year are missing.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

Ian Miller has been a stud since his freshman year and gave Taylor a scare last year at Ironman.

Tessari has really come into his own. Right now I think he has surpassed Hunter in terms of talent. He will not be touched the rest of the year. Hunter is the only one that will be challenged as he will have both Robinson and Squire at Brecksville coming up.

Look for both Stiebers to move up a weight for the duration of the season, then cut down for the state series. So no Mitch-Stieber rematch at Brecksville. We will see Squire-Mitch-Robinson, though.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

I would love to see Stieber stay down there for Brecksville because that would put all 4 of them against each other again. Talk about a loaded weight even if Stieber moves up that weight will be a beast.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

Brad Squire wouldn't be a bad pick up for this year, either. Holding Andrew Alton to a 1-point match is thoroughly impressive--in addition to the rest of Squire's very impressive career.

As for Tessari, his performance this summer really opened my eyes to how good he is. I really hope OSU goes after him. Same with Ian Miller. Obviously there are only so many dollars to go around, so I'll just hope they get as many of these guys as possible.

Squire is back to his old self- as Tom Elmer said before his first match "Squire looks like he's god bad intentions man".

He will be good in college- very complete wrestler and very physically ready. He would fit in very well at Kent.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

We had a similar discussion about Tessari earlier this year, with people saying he did not fit into OSU's plans because they have his projected weights covered.

I am of the belief that he is too good to let get out of state, and you can't go wrong having this kid in the room.

I was impressed with Jordan, bumping up 5 classes I thought he contolled much of the match against Miller aside from the 5 pt move at the end of the second. Of course, Miller's big moves are part of what make him special.

Lots of talent in Ohio, that's for sure.

Also - I think Squire would look great in green and white! Would love to see Squire and Lang at 57 and 65 for years to come!!!

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"We had a similar discussion about Tessari earlier this year, with people saying he did not fit into OSU's plans because they have his projected weights covered.

I am of the belief that he is too good to let get out of state, and you can't go wrong having this kid in the room.

I was impressed with Jordan, bumping up 5 classes I thought he contolled much of the match against Miller aside from the 5 pt move at the end of the second. Of course, Miller's big moves are part of what make him special.

Lots of talent in Ohio, that's for sure.

Also - I think Squire would look great in green and white! Would love to see Squire and Lang at 57 and 65 for years to come!!!"

Good comments here- I agree that Tessari is too good to let slip away.

Jordan was very good- I was surprised that he wrestled all the way back to the third place match, but then I remembered that he is a Jordan, after all. As just a sophomore who just moved up five weight classes, that is very impressive. He needs to develop more offense, and he will be potentially dominant when he does.

If you are OU or CSU, you would love to get a Squire. With such a wealth of talent, CSU needs to land a couple big guys or possibly watch their program slip away.

OU just had a good recruiting class and has some good talent in the room. With Ryan Lang now on board as an assistant, they can capitalize on his name and land some good recruits. I think this year and next year are important years for them as far as recruiting goes. Last year's top level national guys in Lang and Johnson can be just a one time thing, or it can be the start of the resurgence of the program.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

--The connection between Oak Harbor and tOSU is strong so Miller--a rising star--appears attainable if Bucks want him.

--Can you fit Tessari into that block which already includes L. Stieber, H. Stieber, Paddock and C. Palmer. Remember, Bucks already committed to H.Stieber and are rumored to want Phillips and Campolattano. Do you grab Tessari over one of them if he wants to come?

--I agree with whomever said that Squire and Kent are a good match.

--Will Bucks chase Campolattano so hard that they lose out on more very good Ohio wrestlers? Campolattano is a marvelous talent but is it too risky to keep chasing out-of-state guys to the detriment of landing the best in-state recruits? I've heard that Bucks have a strong relationship with him but the same was true of Meade and Kindig. Recruiting is a hard biz...glad I'm not in charge of it.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"--Will Bucks chase Campolattano so hard that they lose out on more very good Ohio wrestlers? Campolattano is a marvelous talent but is it too risky to keep chasing out-of-state guys to the detriment of landing the best in-state recruits? I've heard that Bucks have a strong relationship with him but the same was true of Meade and Kindig. Recruiting is a hard biz...glad I'm not in charge of it."

This has happened with Meade, Oliver, Kindig, and Peppelman. You can't fault Ryan for going after those guys hard. However, you must build the fence. A guy like Tessari would be a tough loss, but he really doesn't fit. I think that he is too good to pass up, though.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

Hey I say add Tank Knowles to that wish list . His grandpa was on the Ironman chat yesterday , saying Tank hasn't chosen a college yet.
He's considering Central Michigan .

I think Squires Alton was very close , I felt the ref could have made the match better with a couple stalling warnings, Alton barely engaged in the 3rd period .
And how about Chris Phillips , does any-one know his intentions ?

FWIW, I was told by a Central Mountain person that the Alton's are both a little banged up after all the college opens- including one last week. But yes, Squire looked excellent in the face of that type of competition. Before the finals, I said that Andrew vs. Squire would remind you of Dylan vs. Brian Stephens last year- lo and behold it was eerily similar.

Other odd similarity- Sulzer and Demas vs. Toal and Lang last year- aside from Demas having a win over Sulzer, where Lang never beat Toal.

Knowles is a stud, but kind of a tweener for college, IMO. He really doesn't have the frame to be a 285, and I don't see him making 197 in four or five years. Then again, I thought the same thing about Adam Cogar and that has turned out to be a great pickup for Kent.

Knowles' teammate and training partner McIntosh is the one that the Bucks really like and justifiably so- I was really dissapointed that he scratched as he was one that I was really excited to see.

I really want to say how impressed I was with Nick Sulzer. We all knew he was good, but has come a long way from being a surprise finalist at 112 three years ago. Watch his match with state champ Kyle Ryan,

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235794-2009-walsh-ironman-tournament/227820-160lbs-nick-sulzer-st-edward-oh-vs-kyle-ryan-st-paris-graham-oh

Sulzer dominates this match from the get go. He is aggressive and has good technique, but his conditioning is out of this world. Ryan is breathing heavy early in the second period, and Sulzer doesn't flinch the whole time.

Below is his match with Demas, another impressive performance. As I said in another thread, their rivalry reminds me stylistically of Lang and Toal last year. Both are fabulous wrestlers, but Sulzer was just better yesterday.

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235794-2009-walsh-ironman-tournament/228870-160lbs-nick-sulzer-st-edward-vs-josh-demas-westerville-north

Congratulations to Nick on the Ray Mendoza award for most team points scored. I would love to see him win a state title, but it looks like Demas is at 160 to stay, at least based on his appearance. We will get to see them again in Columbus.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

Miller's a bit on the fickle side, so he needs consistency. He's either going to spend his career in "Sparty-mode" (for those of you college football fans out there) or this will be a break-through year. Medina will be tough at his weight class, as will DII at the state level.

I'm going to disagree about the Squire/Alton match somewhat. Alton initiated the action in the first period to get two takedowns. Then he more or less coasted home. Squire didn't really do anything to create doubt about the outcome in my mind. The two stalling calls were a function of the score as opposed to action imo.

On the other hand, Squire to Kent -- there may be some legs to that.

I don't necessarily like Knowles as a college wrestler - though he is talented. Kind of a small frame, Matt Koz would be a very good reference point here.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next