Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: PD Wrestling coverage inaccuracies
Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on December 12, 2009

I'm getting a little disturbed about Pat Galbincea's wrestling coverage in the Plain Dealer. His interviews are nice but I don't know where he gets his facts sometimes. In his article about the Comet Classic, he wrote that Solon's freshmen Collica and Thompson were both Junior High state champions. Neither were. In his article about the Ironman tournament he wrote that St. Ed's Heil was a 104 lbs. state champ in junior high. At least he was close to the real 102 pound weight class. He also said that Jamie Clark was the nation's #1 ranked 125 pounder right after he says that he is a 130 pounder. Does the PD need a fact checker, or a new columnist?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

I have been told that Pat will be leaving the PD soon because he is sick of the BS in the department.

I agree that his coverage is just awful, and he is out of touch with the wrestling scene, but if you think the coverage is bad now, wait until he is gone and there is none.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

Live here in Cincy and there is none. You get use to it after a while that's why I took upon myself a long time ago to report it on here and through reports.

I think our only hope is having a website like this and others that are in touch with the scene to be able to report the truth.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

I've always liked Pat because of his interest and accessibility but he's notoriously bad at correctly noting details. Tim Warsinsky does a very nice job whenever he covers wrestling events. He also works hard to be accurate.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

Pat not leaving the PD but in January he is leaving sports for "general assignment" dept at the PD, because he cant stand his boss a female in her mid-20s they brought in from Arizona to run scholastic sports-- go figure that ??

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 13, 2009

Okay- Bob got it right, but I was close.

I too have always like Warsinsky- especially his hockey coverage. He could be a good one, but it will be a shame to see wrestling thrown on somebody who is already overworked.

► Add to the Discussion