Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: So I talked with Steve Luke last night...
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 2, 2009

Yeah... He's pretty sweet!

Every Tuesday he does work with a group of youths and a buddy of mine and I decided to go check it out.

Right as we are walking in, Steve is demonstrating the front-headlock series. (This particular style was burying my head in the opponents armpit and rotating with my inside hip down.) As we walk in, we see him with an 8 year-old kind of trying to show the move. But he has to hold up because he'll crush the kid if he applies pressure.

So we actually get onto the mats to walk around and watch and I hear Steve say, "It'll be kind of hard since I don't have a bigger guy to do this on."

Well, don't twist MY arm to be the dummy man with STEVE FRICKIN LIKE!!! No sooner than I step on the mat to watch, I hear his "invite" and in stride I belt out, "I'll do it!" and remove my sweatshirt, phone and keys from pocket.

I plant myself down in front of him knowing what he wants to do and - puzzled, I might add - he looks at me and asks, "Are you loose? Do you want to warm up at all?"

To which I answer audio-ably, "Yeah. I'm good." but in my head I answer..."Dude? You're showing a move to a bunch of 5 graders. It's not like we're about to go live for an hour."

As I type this, I am SOOOO glad I didn't answer with what I was thinking. He slapped that front headlock on me so hard, I thought my head was going to pop! And my shoulder was wrenched!

From there we went to the cross-face cradle - Oh, the joy! - and, again...the joy...the chicken wing.

What a night. So much more to say but I'll end it there. Actually, in honor of Mike Rodriguez - I did pick his brain about his stand up. And did so out of shear respect for your man-crush on his stand up!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on December 2, 2009

only on this forum would you not get ridiculed and made fun of for a post like that....

good work on bein the demo-dummy - i am sure the kids learned a lot, along with you getting your kicks!!!!

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on December 2, 2009

Some where today Steve Luke is sipping Starbucks telling this story...

"all of sudden some dude pops on to the mat and says "show the move on me!" so I asked him "dude are you warm?" but I was thinking to myself "I am gonna pop this guys head right off his body! I'm Steve Frickin Luke!""

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 2, 2009

One of the great threads I've ever read. Well done.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on December 2, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"One of the great threads I've ever read. Well done."

In a way it's reminiscent of the Nick Mangold thread from JJ years ago...

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 2, 2009

Given my man-crush, I fear any contribution I make to this thread will seem weird.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 2, 2009

I bragged about this encounter to just about everyone I came into contact with! Two people looked at me as if had a penis on my forehead. BUT I DIDN'T CARE!!!!!!!!

Zimmer... I hope you're right! I'd love to be "that guy"!

The friend I went with made the joke that Steve Luke was probably going to return to campus and meet up with some of the wrestling guys and tell a similar story. Only, this time, when Steve tells it, the guys on the Buckeye team and staff ask, "Was he reall goofy? Brown hair? About such-and-such heighth...and go by the name "Cruiser'???"

Then the laughter would ensue and I would officially be "that guy"!!!

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on December 3, 2009

Yeah I got to watch the UM VS OSU game with him, he is a really funny dude! He even interviewed me, which was funny!

http://www.gohiocasts.com/event/main/video/id/235969-tOSU-VS-UM-/vid/213503-Look-At-How-Close-We-Are

http://www.gohiocasts.com/event/main/video/id/235969-tOSU-VS-UM-/vid/213463-Steve-Luke-Post-Field-Appearance

http://www.gohiocasts.com/event/main/video/id/235969-tOSU-VS-UM-/vid/213461-Steve-Luke-On-Field-Big-House

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 3, 2009

Zeb: I watched those videos on Monday (I think) and was able to ask him about that experience. He was honored, I'm sure, but he made mention of the two that flanked him...Said they were huge and he commented that the girl was "such an amazing athlete".

From the 10 minutes I had with him, I appreciated his humility. However...word to the wise...nothing makes a fan more fanatical than humility!!!

"I'm your #1 fan... I'm your #1 fan...I'm your #1 fan... I'm your #1 fan...I'm your #1 fan... I'm your #1 fan...I'm your #1 fan... I'm your #1 fan..."

Great! Here comes ANOTHER restraining order!

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 3, 2009

The term bromance comes to mind.

Jason Johnstone added to this discussion on December 4, 2009

i heard Zamaria just came out of the closet

Last edited by Jason Johnstone on December 4, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on December 4, 2009

DOHHH!

Actually I have to apologize to Johnstone because I thought it was him that wrote that but I just found out Pat Zamaria was over earlier today and he wrote it from Jason's name. May this be a lesson to everyone, don't leave your screename signed on. Pat, as you sit at home reading this from your computer laughing with your roommates, remember, I'm a lot bigger than you and we both go to the same college so you better find some good hiding spots.

Stephen Luke

Last edited by Jason Johnstone on December 4, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on December 4, 2009

This thread just keeps getting better and better. :)

I just got home from helping a few kids lose weight for Westerville North's first tournament tomorrow and opened this thread. I talked to Steve, who is now my roommate here in Columbus while he attends pharmacy school, and he explained the whole situation/conversation to me. I left the house at 5 AM this morning, and just returned, and was nowhere near a computer so I had to explain that it couldn't have been me who wrote this completely false statement. I apologize to Steve for leaving my name signed in, but obviously there should be no reason for me to have to sign out of my own screen name on my personal computer. Not only did the comments by Pat Zamaria look bad towards Steve, but they also made me look like a complete tool. I've known Pat for a long time and I'm sure the comments were meant to be all in good fun, but he should just know that the war from last year may have ended, but he should go see 2012 because there is an Apocalypse coming his way, or should i say the green dragons way. I also wanted to say good luck to everyone who is beginning their season tomorrow and also good luck to the bucks in vegas who are leading the tournament heading into the quarters.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next