Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: PREVIEW: 2009-2010 Central Ohio Write-Up (All Divisions)
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 1, 2009

Ladies and gentlemen, the 2009-2010 season is upon us! As we gear up for the opening weekend, I thought I’d write a little something in order to help myself and others to get acquainted with this season’s top teams and individuals for Central Ohio. So here goes…

Top Teams

DI
This year’s top team in Central Ohio for Division I is Marysville. Not only do they return 3 state placers (McCombs, Marsh & Weeks), they also return a handful of excellent wrestlers that can score points at the District tournament (Sparks, Green, Bass, & Philipot) that will contend for one of the top four spots at Darby. Add to that, the possibility of two or three quality incoming freshmen and it could be a recipe for a District title.

The Monarchs start the season at the competitive Eye of the Tiger Duals at Pickerington Central and then follow it up, a week later, with a dual meet tournament of their own. They round out the year going to Troy Christian on Dec. 19th and then head to the Brecksville Invitational.

Other teams that will vie for the top spot in Central Ohio will be (listed alphabetically):

Dublin Coffman
Grove City
Hilliard Davidson
Lancaster
Pickerington Central
Pickerington North
Teays Valley
Westerville North

Teams I don’t trust due to coaching and/or track record:

Hilliard Darby
Mount Vernon
Olentangy Liberty

DII

Divisional rearrangements aside, I think the team to beat in Central Ohio for DII will be (Lewis Center) Olentangy. Already a proven team (4 straight top 10 finishes in the DI District tournament at Darby), the Braves are poised to make their mark on the DII crowd. While they did lose some heavy-hitters in Sabo, DiSabato and Oglesbee, they still have two DI state placers. Not to mention their district qualifiers and, again, the possibility of incoming freshmen.

Olentangy starts the season by hosting a tournament and then, after a match at cross-town rival Liberty, they go to North Canton on Dec. 19th and then it’s off to Medina later this month. Not to mention, their assistant coaching staff is tops in Central Ohio!

Other teams within striking distance of Olentangy:

Big Walnut
Bishop Hartley
Canal Winchester
DeSales
Jonathon Alder
Licking Valley
London

DIII

Although the lines, to me, seem a bit blurred for DIII in Central Ohio sometimes, one thing is clear; West Jefferson is a very, very good team. On paper, they seem to be well ahead of the competition.

Last year they finished about 20 points behind a stout Pleasant squad in a two horse race. What’s crazy about this fact is that every single wrestler RETURNS! (Note: West Jeff entered 13 kids in the sectional tournament…13 qualified for the District tournament.)

West Jeff will find out very well where it fits in with the overall Central Ohio competition when they travel to Pickerington North on Dec. 19th for the Panther Duals. Teams like Hilliard Darby, Grove City, Teays Valley, Pickerington Central and host, Pickerington North will all be there for a dual meet tournament.

Teams fighting to prove their worth:

Amanda Clearcreek
Heath
Nelsonville-York (if they are Central Ohio)
Northmor (if they are Central Ohio)

It's whatever, dude. I hope to do individuals next and soon. I may have missed a few teams so feel free to correct me. Also, I'm not 100% sure concerning some of the divisional alignment shifts.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Mark Niemann on December 2, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Hammons added to this discussion on December 1, 2009

Nice start Coach Nieman... Add Hilliard Bradley in contention in D2 and things are starting to take form...

Gotta love a no nonsense kinda forum...

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 1, 2009

Good call on Hilliard Bradley.

Mark...The only thing that jumps out at me is the listing of Grove City as one of the teams that could be in contention. They're a good team, but I don't see them up with the likes of Marysville, Pick North and Davidson. What's your thinking on that one?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 1, 2009

I looked back at some of the dual meet results and the sectional and district tournament and saw them as a top 10 team. They could be as far back as 15 or even as close as 8, but I my point on that one was more a top 10 feel as opposed to a team that might topple the big 3 (Marysville, Teays Valley and Pick. North).

Matt Schein added to this discussion on December 2, 2009

Nelsonville-York is in the Southeast. They do travel to Heath for the District Tournament.

Matt Hammons added to this discussion on December 2, 2009

very early take on D1

1. Marysville
2. Teays Valley
3. Pick North
4. Davidson
5. Reynoldsburg
6. Pick Central
7. Liberty
8. Westerville North
9. Lancaster
10. Mount Vernon

somebody want to rank d2 for us???

Luke Moore added to this discussion on December 3, 2009

I will try D2:

1. Canal Winchester
2. Olentangy
3. DeSales
4. London
5. Hilliard Bradley
6. Jonathan Alder
7. Licking Heights
8. Licking Valley
9. Hamilton Township
10. Whitehall

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 3, 2009

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"I will try D2:

1. Canal Winchester
2. Olentangy
3. DeSales
4. London
5. Hilliard Bradley
6. Jonathan Alder
7. Licking Heights
8. Licking Valley
9. Hamilton Township
10. Whitehall"

I think Licking Valley and London are a notch or two higher. Also, where is Big Walnut and Hartley?

I look forward to seeing some Jonathon Aldr results this year. They seemed to have built up something nice out there.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on December 3, 2009

I hate to say it Mark, but I think that Bishop Hartley will still need to prove themselves a little bit this year. The Hawks have some quality and are looking forward to the new DII competition but they will need to prove they are for real. I don't think the move to DII is a big jump in competitive levels, they have battled with the likes of West Jeff and Pleasant (two of the best in Central Ohio regardless of division) the past few years and have still managed to take boys to the Schott, but new faces mean new challenges, so the verdict is still out.

GO HAWKS!!!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 3, 2009

Just to clarify, Scott... that list is more alphabetical than anything else.

But I do get your point.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 17, 2009

Not bad so far...

► Add to the Discussion