Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: [Video] 1995 D1 State Finals - 103: Tomazz Wilson (Woodward) vs. Shaun Smith (Massillon Perry)
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 30, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbeYefMmuug

...Shootout! It might as well end 75 to 74

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: [Video] 1995 D1 State Finals - 103: Tomazz Wilson (Woodward) vs. Shaun Smith (Massillon Perry)
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 30, 2009

From a fan's perspective, one of the best State final bouts ever. Both guys constantly looking to score, both guys hitting and being hit with big moves. Nice choice Mark.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 30, 2009

I watched a handful of matches last night...

One that stuck out was a Medina match...1989 maybe... Solon kid versus a St. Eds up-and-comer. St. Eds kid comes out swinging, gets two or three quick takedowns. Obviously he didn't get the message as to who his opponent was.

But, somewhere in the 2nd period, the Solon kid let's it go and starts racking up points left and right. It was a tremendous match. I look to put that up soon as well.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 30, 2009

Mark...You're talking about Greg Genovese (Solon) vs. Rich Hepp (St. Edward). Genovese was a senior, defending state champion (over Josh Robbins). Solon had moved down to DII that year and he would end up winning his second title by tech fall. Genovese had a Sponseller-type motor and often used it to run opponents into the ground. Hepp was a junior, first year starter, but a spetacular technical wrestler. He was behind some guy named Fried up until then. Hepp didn't compete in the State Tourney process that year (some sort of bizzar home accident), but he likely would have been top three. He was a state champ at 160 the following year and a Junior National champion the following summer (over Mollica). He also ended up a two or 3X All American in college.

That's a great bout. Maybe next week?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 30, 2009

I remember watching Wilson v Smith in Dayton and thinking that it was "pro wrestling" the way they threw each other around. Watching it again is a dream come true for this fan. One of the greatest state finals bout ever--no doubt. Both were among the best in the nation at the weight class and they went at it the whole match.

Eric Jaynes added to this discussion on November 30, 2009

I remember watching this match as a kid. It remains one of the most exciting matches I have ever seen at the state tournament. I also remember Ken Haro vs. Eddie Jayne in the first round at the state tournament. Another great match. Great to see all of these old matches again!

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on December 1, 2009

One of the greatest state finals matches ever. I think both guys deserved at least one more set of backpoints.

► Add to the Discussion