Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Rough one for Michigan
Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Michigan just lost to Bloomsburg and American- rough day.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Not good for a Big Ten school but they'll bounce back. It is Michigan. Joe McFarland is going to have the guys ready.

Even if their lineup isn't the greatest for duals, they still have some wrestlers who will score big points in tournaments.

... and they are redshirting half the team this year. They kind of conceded the season to build for the future.

BUT- This should never happen. A big ten school, especially Michigan should never lose to Bloomsburg or American.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Michigan is probably going to struggle this year. For about 3 years now they have been a team with 3-4 legitimate title contenders (Kellen Russell, Eric Tannenbaum, Steve Luke, and Tyrel Todd) but a lot of holes in the other weights. Tann, Luke, and Todd have now graduated and Russell is redshirting.

Maybe they didn't do a good job recruiting for a few years there and so they seem pretty bare right now, but they had a very good recruiting class last year. I think they will struggle this year, but with Russell returning from his redshirt and the aforementioned great recruiting class that is redshirting, they should be pretty good next year or the year after.

Last edited by Ben Golden on November 29, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Michigan will probably struggle a lot this year. For about 3 years now they have been a team with 3-4 legitimate title contenders (Kellen Russell, Eric Tannenbaum, Steve Luke, and Tyrel Todd) but a lot of holes in the other weights. Tann, Luke, and Todd have now graduated and Russell is redshirting.

Maybe they didn't do a good job recruiting for a few years there and so they seem pretty bare right now, but they had a very good recruiting class last year. I think they will struggle this year, but with Russell returning from his redshirt and the aforementioned great recruiting class that is redshirting, they should be pretty good next year or the year after."

They have studs, but some are redshirting. They do have a good recruiting class coming in. However, I think they may have been forced into starting people maybe they didn't want to. Sean Boyle comes to mind. I think they would have liked to redshirt him, but don't have much of an option at 125. With Grajales taking a redshirt, Huntley coming in, Yates redshirting, and Boyle around for 3 more years after this one, they will have firepower.

Doug Noel added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

What happened to Coby Boyd? Redshirt? Or did he leave the team?

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Quote from Doug Noel's post:

"What happened to Coby Boyd? Redshirt? Or did he leave the team?"

I just checked their website, he isn't listed on their roster.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 29, 2009

I don't mind Bloomsburg. They remind me of an Edinboro or even a CMU. Tough kids, great coaching...just come to scrap.

American on the other hand...

Didn't American have a National finalist a few years back???

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 29, 2009

I believe they had the 197 NCAA Champ Josh Glenn in 2007.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 29, 2009

Yes- American had a very good Glenn win a Title in 2007 as a junior. He was a Hodge contendor and undefeated for most of 2008 before stumbling at NCAAs and finishing 5th. He lost of Michalak of CMU in the semis (Phil Davis won the weight), and Hudson Taylor in the consis.

I wouldn't equate Bloomsburg and Edinboro just based on the level of the wrestlers. Bloomsburg has Matt Moley who is a legit AA contendor (he even beat Gregor Gillespie in the EWL finals last year, IIRC). Other than that, they are more like a Clarion or Bucknell. I won't degrade them so as to equate them to Millersville.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 29, 2009

Michigan has varied between good and outstanding for a long time. The last several years, however, they had sub par recruiting classes. In addition, some of the guys they brought in simply didn't pan out. This year would not have been very good under any circumstance and they decided to redshirt across the board and build for the future. Was it a good decision? We won't know for a few years.

Michigan wrestling gets a mulligan from me. Coach McFarland has proven to be one of the best coaches in the country. he'll return them to prominence but it's going to take a few years.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 29, 2009

And both those losses were by 1 point, so it's not like they got pounded.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 30, 2009

I guess there football team isn't the only one losing to teams they should beat.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next