Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: My Saturday Morning/Afternoon
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

I was feeling pretty awful this morning. You know: the ear, nose and throat type. Despite that, I jumped out of bed to go to coach at my first youth wrestling tournament.

What an awesome experience it was!

Thanks to the Lake Catholic coaches, wrestlers, volunteers for running a great novice tournament.

Our entire team is made up of novice wrestlers. This venture into youth wrestling is a first for us at Kirtland.

We ended up with two champs, Austin (8) and Christian (6), and two runners-up, Dylan (9) and Alex (7). Not surprisingly they are two sets of brothers.

Overall we had eight wrestlers attend the tournament. All eight placed and received medals!

The kids had a great time (and that's what really counts)!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brad Roff added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Congratulations, Coach!

Over the years I have been involved with coaching the youth level kids more than any other age group. It definately has it's own but somewhat different rewards than junior high or high school. Is this coaching position motivated from a relationship with one of the youth wrestlers? Grandpa would be my guess. Anyway, giving back to the sport by coaching kids is a wonderful experience.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Thanks, Brad!

There are definitely a lot of youth coaches whose kids are wrestling (or have wrestled) in the youth program. I'm not one of them, though. I have no family ties to any of these kids but I have been part of the Kirtland wrestling program for past ten years. Since I wasn't able timewise to continue coaching at the high school, I'm glad that I am able to coach the kids' club. It's a great experience. Also I would hope that I'm not a grandpa just yet, I'm still only twenty-three! Hahaha.

Brad Roff added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Good for you anyway and thanks for giving your time. The kids can use all the help and support they can get. Too many want to sit on the sidelines (and then usually b.... about everything that's wrong) instead of jumping in and getting wet. You'll have a good background for when you are a Grandpa! I have coached on many levels but the younger kids are a special group and the priorities and focus are much different than the older kids, at least in my opinion.

► Add to the Discussion