Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Northwestern very good recruiting class
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 27, 2009

i know we have some Northwestern fans, knowing Drew Pariano i like them myself, and this is a Very nice class, they got BIG guys !! s/BobP

Using AWN rankings www.amateurwrestlingnews.com

140 5. Kaleb Friedley-Sr, Park Hill, MO
145 4. Colin Shober-Sr, Leesport Schykill, PA
160/171 Pierce Harger, Sr, Moeller --unranked but could be, for sure talented.
171 2. Lee Munster-Sr, Fox Lake, IL
215 4. Alex Polizzi-Sr, Beloit Memorial, WI
285 6. Mike McMullen-Sr, Wyoming Seminary, PA

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on November 27, 2009

let's Go Cats

Nice Job Drew

Bill Fox added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Drew works 18 hours a day, seven days a week and I may be underestimating. He may think about his job in his sleep as well.

It is very, very difficult to put together a class like this at NU for so many reasons. He certainly deserves the recognition, although I realize this is an Ohio forum. I'm sure he appreciates it Bob.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Bill,
Ohio forum or not we like to talk national wrestling here, we try to be fair, and Harger is from Ohio. There is a general interest in Big Ten on here, too.

All anyone needs to do is look at Northwestern pre-Pariano and compare to post-Pariano, he is making a difference there.

(i like their football coach Fitzgerald alot, too.)

Bill Fox added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

One thing to note is that Delguyd, Velez, Herbert, Lang, Fox and Tamillow, 5 of them AA's and 4 of them Ohioans, were recruited prior to Drew coming back to coach at NU. I believe he was there when Precin was recruited, but most of the credit there must be given to Rob Eiter, now Head Coach at Penn who really worked that deal. So, I don't think Drew can actually yet take credit for recruiting an AA. That being said, he can take tremendous credit for coaching AA's others recruited.

So, hopefully this will be Drew's breakout recruiting class, and he will reap some additional fruit with Roddy, Welch and maybe Sulzer, if Keith wants it bad enough. Nadhir is also a dark horse.

Drew did recruit Benefiel which didn't work out- not a good academic fit unfortunately.

Of course, in Welch's case, Drew got a bit of a gift handed to him there by a certain poster on this forum. :)

Regardless, if all goes well, they ought to be heading North next year, hopefully getting back to the level of competiveness they displayed between 2004 and 2008.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

"One thing to note is that Delguyd, Velez, Herbert, Lang, Fox and Tamillow, 5 of them AA's and 4 of them Ohioans, were recruited prior to Drew coming back to coach at NU."
------------------------------

thats true-- i didnt just mean in recruiting though, imo DrewP can coach em too.

Northwestern has alot to sell, combines Ivy caliber education with athletic grant-in-aid which the Ivies don't give. And they are in the best wreslting conference, the Big Ten.

One problem is Northwestern will never have depth, i think they admit less than 2,000 undergrad students per year. But they can certainly have top end quality.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Ah, Mike Tamillow- one of my favorite wrestlers of all time.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Pariano's recruiting success speaks for itself. He's done an outstanding job at Northwestern and has had a lot of success establishing a recruiting presence in Ohio. Keith Sulzer, Kyle Bertin, Brian Roddy, Ben Kuhar, Dustin Fox, John Velez and Matt Delguyd are some of the Ohio wrestlers went on to wrestle for the Wildcats.

He has also been very supportive of this website since we started up.

► Add to the Discussion