Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: [Video] 1993 D3 State Finals - 125: Joe Boardwine (Streetsboro) v. Corey Kline (Mapleton)
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 26, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv1ftGY4liE

This one took a while for some reason. Not sure what is going on with my upload process.

But as it turns out, not thinking this third time would work, I figured it was this file so I began uploading the Musser/Vaughn match in order to get something - anything - up this week.

It just might be a twice-as-nice Thanksgiving, folks!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: [Video] 1993 D3 State Finals - 125: Joe Boardwine (Streetsboro) v. Corey Kline (Mapleton)

Should have been DIII. I mistyped.

Winner, winner. Turkey dinner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MmI4vRqNS0 = Vaughn/Musser

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 26, 2009

I'm thankful for you posting these man.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on November 27, 2009

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"I'm thankful for you posting these man."

Yeah. What he said. :)

Thanks Mark. I think that everyone appreciates the chance to view these great matches.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on November 27, 2009

Mark,

This maybe a stupid question, but is that Jeff Blatnik commentating the match and is this the only year he did it?

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on November 27, 2009

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"Mark,

This maybe a stupid question, but is that Jeff Blatnik commentating the match and is this the only year he did it?"

Bill, I was thinking the same thing. I have watched the other state finals matches that Mark has posted, and I did not here him commentating on any of the other years.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 27, 2009

Yes, that's Jeff Blatnik. He did a few of these broadcasts in the 90s. At the start of the show he says he does it as a tune up for the NCAAs that he'll be doing in a couple of weeks.

Mark, any chance you'll be at the "Super Scrimmage" tomorrow so we can swap some more tape?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 28, 2009

Not that you'll read this prior to me being at Whitehall, but I will be there!

Guess who I saw last night? No, seriously...guess? Okay. Shawn Enright!!!!!!!!!! When I saw him, I knew he look familiar but couldn't put my finger on it. So I walked up and asked who he was.

After he told me who he was, I was like, "DUDE!!! I just put "The Stalemate" online!!!

He said he got a call from a buddy of his that it was online so he brokedown and - after almost 20 years - watch it for the first time. When asked if he thought it was a stalemate, he said, "No." ;-)

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on November 30, 2009

Great Match . A couple things about Corey Kline . The guy in his corner is his dad , Tim Kline . Corey won state his junior and senior year . I believe he won a national title for Ashland college in his freshman year , and was wrestler of the year for the division . Corey is head coach at my alma mater Black River .
Back in the 70s Mapleton was our arch rival , and Tim and I wrestled 4 times .After the first match I spent the night in Ashland hospital ICU with a concusion , after the last I had a broken nose . lol Those were great times !
Thanks for the video !

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on December 1, 2009

Mark,

The stalemate in the johnsom enright match was a tough call, but the one that blew my mind was the potentially dangerous call in the second. without that call Johnson might have spent the rest of the second on his back. ref's have tough jobs.

Joe boardwine passes the arm so nicely plus he looked like a 135 out there. I would have like to see what Kline could have done in D1 NCAA, he was a great college wrestler as well.

Rico vs Wineburg Rico got hit with 2 fleeing calls, which maybe one was a good call the other was iffy. I've seen willy wrestle alot and I've been beat by him badly in one match, My only observation is,boy he knows how to win the close ones but it helps when he never gets hit with stalling calls on his feet.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on December 1, 2009

Corey was tough....really knew how to win. Even though he wasn't over powering or incredibly fast.. He always reminded me of Braves pitcher, Greg Maddux - just really good at the little things ...and awesome mat presence.

I was thinking the same thinking in the match with Jimmy and Enright about the second period. The stoppage definitely was helpful for Jimmy..... if you knew Enright.. he was remarkable about being able to string a series of turns together on top into two or three different sets of backpoints. He was rare with that (and also ahead of his time with the funky leg attack defense.)

He put them together just like a great leg attack guy does on his feet. People forget how good he was.... he won the HS Nationals (teched the guy in the finals) a month after JImmy beat him and then 11 months after that - he took 4th at the NCAA in D I.

That also gives you an idea of how tough JImmy was - and how physical he was when you observe the way he pushed him around on their feet.

I remember Jimmy telling me that people told him not to choose down against him - but that his mentality was that 'nobody turns me'. He sort of regretted it after the fact. That's a good mentality. But 1 point probably is not worth the risk with a handful of people (in Enright's category on top (see Joe Heskett, Steven Blunk, etc.)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 1, 2009

Joe "The Razor" speaks...

Thanks for the comments, Joe. I'm always hesitant - even with Rex's match - to read what one of the actual competitors has to say about the posting of a match.

I'd hate to become "that guy" to a runner-up that has quite "gotten over it" shall we say???

FOr some reason I get visions of Ace Ventura, and Ray Finkle's parents, in my head when thinking of this.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 1, 2009

LACES OUT!!!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 1, 2009

Exactly!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next