Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: BIG News, FILA nationals coming to Cleveland !!
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 24, 2009

2010 and 2011 U.S. Senior Nationals and FILA Junior Nationals moving to Cleveland, Ohio, April 21-25

USA Wrestling is pleased to announce that the 2010 and 2011 U.S. Senior National Wrestling Championships and the Men’s FILA Junior National Championships have been awarded to Cleveland, Ohio.

This year’s event will be held at the Wolstein Center at Cleveland State University, April 21-25, 2010. The local host for the event is the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Ice added to this discussion on November 24, 2009

That is great news! This needs to be well supported so others will follow.

Bill Fox added to this discussion on November 25, 2009

Does this replace Fargo?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 25, 2009

This is awesome. I will go for sure if I am available.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on November 25, 2009

We really need to come together and support these events as a community

Great opportunity for our state..... we need to make the most of it

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 25, 2009

This is great. I agree with Mr. Boardwine, we need to make this as big a deal as possible. Doesn't everybody miss having NHSCA Seniors in Cleveland? (For that matter, doesn't everybody miss NHSCA Senior being a relevant even like it was when it was in Cleveland). If we support this the right way, we give them no choice but to stay.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 25, 2009

"Does this replace Fargo?"
------------------------------------------------

No, Fargo is still home of the Junior and Cadet nationals in July. Thats THE BIGGIE for high school age kids.

Akron already had, the last 3 years, the FILA Cadets and University Nationals -- this new initiative will bring the Men's Seniors Freestyle & Greco National Championships to Cleveland (as well as the FILA Juniors which are older than Fargo kids, up to age 20 i think.)

its all kind of confusing but hey thats the way things are now, confusion reigns with NHSCA Sr, Jr, Soph & Frosh nationals, Flonationals, Brute nationals, Preseason nations, on & on & on.

But this CLEVELAND deal is THE BIGGIE for MEN---- thats the one that Andy Hrovat, Dlagnev, Steve Mocco, Jake Herbert, Henry Cejudo, Ben Askren, and the Zadack brothers will wrestle in-- it is our MENs National championsips in both of the Olympic styles. (And womens freestyle too.) s/BobP

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on November 25, 2009

This is one of those events where we need inter-generational support and attendance.

For example, we need the dozens and dozens (maybe over 100) of youth programs that are within a 1 hour drive to bring kids, youth coaches and parents to come out and watch the senior level men and women.

Same with the junior high, high school and college level athletes, coaches, parents and fans.

That is where the bulk of the participation is in our sport. But usually, all these groups do not attend the same events. They only attend the events where "their" person (son, brother, etc.) in the sport is competing.

This is one of those times where we need folks across the generations of participation to make a commitment to attend for the sake of the sport and our area.

Too often, we rely on someone else to go and watch and it causes events like this to have poor attendance.

Glad to have the opportunity here in Cleveland

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 25, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""Does this replace Fargo?"
------------------------------------------------

No, Fargo is still home of the Junior and Cadet nationals in July. Thats THE BIGGIE for high school age kids.

Akron already had, the last 3 years, the FILA Cadets and University Nationals -- this new initiative will bring the Men's Seniors Freestyle & Greco National Championships to Cleveland (as well as the FILA Juniors which are older than Fargo kids, up to age 20 I think.)

its all kind of confusing but hey thats the way things are now, confusion reigns with NHSCA Sr, Jr, Soph & Frosh nationals, Flonationals, Brute nationals, Preseason nations, on & on & on.

But this Cleveland deal is THE BIGGIE for MEN---- thats the one that Andy Hrovat, Dlagnev, Steve Mocco, Jake Herbert, Henry Cejudo, Ben Askren, and the Zadack brothers will wrestle in-- it is our MENs National championsips in both of the Olympic styles. (And womens freestyle too.) s/BobP"

I believe "Fargo" is moving out of the town of Fargo in a year or two...

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 25, 2009

Ben: That is in the rumor stages. The events are up for bid. I've heard a couple of different things but nothing definitive.

Ohio will have the following events of note in late March and through April:
-The last weekend of March will be the FloNationals at Walsh Jesuit
-Early in April (I think the next weekend) will be the FILA Cadet and University Nationals on the campus of the University of Akron
-And the afforementioned US Senior Nationals (FS/GR/WO) and FILA Junior Nationals.

Brad Roff added to this discussion on November 26, 2009

Quote from Josh Lowe's post:

"Ben: That is in the rumor stages. The events are up for bid. I've heard a couple of different things but nothing definitive.

Ohio will have the following events of note in late March and through April:
-The last weekend of March will be the FloNationals at Walsh Jesuit
-Early in April (I think the next weekend) will be the FILA Cadet and University Nationals on the campus of the University of Akron
-And the afforementioned US Senior Nationals (FS/GR/WO) and FILA Junior Nationals."

The FILA Cadet and University Nationals are 4/8-4/11 at U of A. In addition to those 2 tournaments there is also a "FILA Cadet Youth Olympic Games Qualifer". I don't recall having seen this tournament listed before- anyone know what this is about?

All of these quality national level events in our area need to be supported strongly by all. This is an additional unique opportunity to raise the overall perception of NE Ohio in particular and Ohio in general as a venue for national events and we don't want to let it go to waste. I will be there!

Mark Adelman added to this discussion on November 26, 2009

I agree with Joe Boardwine.
I'll be at the event in Cleveland. Most wrestling fans don't go to events without anyone they wrestling in them, but the purists do. I love the sport and am looking forward to attending these events with my son and grandson (he's not 1 yet, but will be introduced to the sport at a young age).
I live close to Mogadore, and while it's early, maybe a train of wrestling fans from this area could all go to Cleveland together. Enjoy some fellowship with other wrestling enthusiasts.
Just a thought. And what are yours?

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8DtpdXZi0M

Last edited by Mark Adelman on November 26, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 26, 2009

I'm thrilled. I loved going to NCAA championships at CSU and the National Duals at Columbus and CSU. I can't wait. Kudos to all who worked to bring these events to Cleveland

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 27, 2009

Jesus, Mark, I have had Alice's Restraunt stuck in my head all day thanks to you.

► Add to the Discussion