Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Big Ten 2009 - Down Year?
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 23, 2009

It appears to me that several high profile, and very good, wrestlers will be red shirting this season in the Big Ten. This has left some serious gaps in these teams.

Key Redshirts - (off the top of my head with little research)

Penn State -

Quentin Wright
Bubba Jenkins

NW -

Brandon Precin
Brian Roddy (is he hurt?)

Michigan -

Kellen Russell

WI and Illinois seem to be struggling in early season dual action. Other teams such as MSU, Indiana, Purdue will be average as usual, but not outstanding.

To me, this leaves OSU, Minn, and Iowa as the only three top tier teams from the Big Ten this season. WI has top talent, and could be the 4th power, but they were just soundly thumped by Boise.

In a way, this could be great news for the Buckeyes as it should make for an easier path to nationals at some of the weights with question marks.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 23, 2009

After typing that I checked the top 25 on InterMat (based on tournament scoring) and there are 8 Big Ten teams in the top 25.

I still think it's a down year for the conference, but this does illustrate how tough this conference is even when schools like Michigan and Northwestern are undergoing rebuilding seasons.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 25, 2009

There is balance, though. Purdue, long the whipping boy, has developed a solid team this year. Minny is going to be tough as nails, and Wisconsin looks very good (Graff in particular). Lots of redshirts (where is Kirk Tank?), yes, but there is balance and depth.

► Add to the Discussion