Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Michigan State Open
John Ice added to this discussion on November 15, 2009

Not many Buckeyes (Fee, Capone and Agazarm) but did notice area high schoolers Brad Wukie and Harrison Hightower winning first round matches. Cleveland State and OU have a lot of guys there.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 15, 2009

I saw a few days ago I saw that Jake Vaughn was also at this open.

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 15, 2009

Upon checking I did not see Vaughan in the brackets. Noticed Capone, in the open division, beat Justin Zeerip. That's a pretty good win.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 15, 2009

The bottom half of the 165 bracket in the FR/SO division is like an all divisions Ohio state tournament.

Dilley - OU
Walters - Findlay
Wukie - ?
McGookey - NIU
Lang - OU

Lang pins McGookey and majors Wukie, has Walters in the semis who beat Dilley 4-1.

Following OU closely.

In the FR/SO division they have the following in the semis:

Ramos
Ciccarello
Silvers
Lang
Sanders

In the open division:

Lindsey
Tucker
Hartshorn

Keyes lost 5-3 to a NQ from App State. Purdue lost 3-2 to Palmieri of MSU (Mayfield)

Ison, Schuth, Weinkam noteable starters out. Finals week in Athens, may have something to do with about 10 people not wrestling.

Hartshorn having a great start to the year. 4th last week beating a ranked opponent, and just beat a returning NQ from IU 14-6.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 15, 2009

Interesting to see Wukie there- and picking up a W before beating beaten by Lang. Too bad Lang stuck McGookey- we could have seen another Wukie- McGookey match.

There are a couple of Preppers here, actually- Harrison Hightower is in the semifinals at 157 (listedas representing Burnett Trained). He majored Lou Greco (Kent State/Austintown Fitch) and advanced when Lewandowski defaulted. He has Adam Miller from CMU in the semis.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 15, 2009

I almost crapped when I saw a Joe Dennis listed representing OU but then realized I was looking at 141 in the Frosh/Soph division.

Hahaha, Pat - me too, when I saw him about a month ago listed on the roster...

John Ice added to this discussion on November 15, 2009

Hightower in the finals.

James Vaughan added to this discussion on November 16, 2009

Jake Vaughan had a slight injury last week at E. Mich and will be back this week.

Mark Adelman added to this discussion on November 16, 2009

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/msu/sports/c-swim/auto_pdf/MSUOpenBracketFinal.pdf

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 16, 2009

Quote from Mark Adelman's post:

"http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/msu/sports/c-swim/auto_pdf/MSUOpenBracketFinal.pdf"

Good results for the two US wrestlers- Hightower gets second and Wukie gets third. Wukie, after getting tagged 10-1 by Lang in the second round, won 4 wrestle backs to place third. In the 3rd place match, he beat Mosier from Purdue, an Indiana state champion who was 3rd and 4th his two other years in HS. He also beat Kyle Dilley.

Lots of placers from OH in this tourney- quick scan gives me the following in the FR/SO division.

Kyle Ciccarello- OU/Brush- 1st
Gabe Ramos- OU- 2nd

Tim Silvers- Eaton/OU- 3rd

Scott Mattingly- Uniontown Lake/CMU- 4th

Brian Stephens- Graham/VT- 1st
Mike Fee- Lake Catholic/TOSU- 6th

Harrison Hightower- University School/VT recruit- 2nd
Zack Cline- Uniontown Lake/CMU- 5th

Kyle Lang- Brecksville/OU- 2nd
Brad Wukie- University School/?- 3rd
Adam Walters- West Geauga/Findlay-5th

Brandonn Johnson-?/Kent State- 3rd

Kyle Sander- St. Charles/TOSU- 1st (13-0, 1:40, and 2:08 were his three match results)

Jeremy Johnson- Brecksville/OU- 3rd

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 16, 2009

Anyone know much about Sanders? He was 4th in the VT Open last week (Open Division) and stampeded through this open, albeit against limited comp.

Just curious. I believe he was 3rd last year in Ohio.

Anyway, great start to his career. He should be able to red shirt this year with Schuth at 97.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 16, 2009

He was fourth- lost to Isley for third after beating Nick Miller in the consi semis. He looks good- and wrestling with Jeremy Johnson and Schuth won't hurt.

Kevin Schlosser added to this discussion on November 16, 2009

Here is our coverage from the Michigan State Open.

Included are photo galleries of all four Ohio D1 teams; interviews with OU head coach Joel Greenlee and CSU head coach Ben Stehura; placements, individual records, and general recap.

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/26504

I stayed in Columbus after the Iowa game so I missed most of the first round arriving around eleven but stayed til the end of the tournament.

Jordan Keller looked great for Cleveland State. After DNP'ing at EMU, won a major and had three straight shutouts to the finals. The kid rarely stops moving, fun to watch wrestle. Expected a little more in the finals but a win is a win. I think Corey Carlo had a great tournament placing third. Picked up a quality win over Anthony Jones, thought he controlled six minutes; and had a nice win over Clay Tucker for third. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tucker and Jones to qualify, don't know what that says about Carlo. Robbie Michaels was banged up last weekend and held out to prepare for EMU/Buckeye Duals/John Carroll. Coaches playing it safe with Effner and working him back in coming off surgery; more important he is wrestling in March than November.

I thought OU did well with ten place winners. In the Open division Hartshorn lost 2-0 in the finals to Everhart from Indiana (2x qualifier). I thought Lindsey looked solid at 141 finishing second. Showing some depth Boing had another good tournament placing sixth after placing at the Hokie Open last week. Nick Purdue came out like a buzz saw in his first two matches but tightened things up against Palmieri and Avery.

In the freshmen-sophomore Kyle Sanders continued to impress and won the title at 197 giving some depth behind Schuth. Lang was tough until the finals until Yates shut him down. (UM people are very happy with Yates development so far) Ciccarello and Ramos made the finals with the winner to be determined in the OU wrestling room. Jeremy Johnson looked a lot better this week taking third. OU should be set at heavyweight for the next 4-5 years with Hartshorn and Johnson allowing the coaches to spend their money elsewhere.

For Kent State only four guys and for OSU only two.

Fee is pretty consistent. He could be a sleeper. Seemed very comfortable on the mat and that is where a lot of freshman not from PA or IA struggle. Would have liked to have seen him in the finals against Stephens after seeing him last week in Virginia, Capone looked great at 174. Nice to see him wrestle in the open tournament. Two quality wins over Justin Zeerip. (although Zeerip didn't seem to be wrestling as well as he did at the end of the season last year) Pete still showed some great mat sense and body awareness.

Johnson probably had the best day for Kent at 174 which should make Andrassy happy. I thought Estep looked improved before he was injured and was impressed by Witt at 174 last weekend. With Kilgore a Lance Palmer-like road block at 184; the Flashes are bound to continue improving at 174 as the season(s) progress.

Thats about all I have to add so now is the time to look forward to next weekend. I am starting and ending the weekend in Cleveland with three trips to Columbus, four days of wrestling, and the Ohio State - Michigan game in the middle. Thursday at Cleveland State for the Eastern Michigan dual, Friday in Columbus for Ohio State - Lehigh dual, Saturday in Ann Arbor to shoot the Ohio State Michigan game, Sunday in Columbus for the Buckeye Duals, Tuesday at Cleveland State for John Carroll, and back to Columbus on Wednesday.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next