Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Questions for Bob?
Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on November 12, 2009

Bob,
How come Brandon FL no longer comes to the Ironman? Thanks.

Last edited by Marlo Stanfield on November 17, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 12, 2009

Brandon, would love to have them but i am told by reliable source down there maybe some hard feelings from last time they were here about 6 years ago-- i don't think its justified at all, but it is what it is.

since no one has chosen to discuss it with me, my hands are tied.

Do you mind discussing what the hard feelings were about. I just thought last year would've been the perfect time for them to come with all the Taylor vs Grajales talk and all. Thanks.

would rather not discuss publically, its not verified as true anyway. --yes last year with Grajales would have been great-- this year too, they have a top 10 team, maybe top 5.

Do you still have an open dialect with them? I see they go to Cheesehead tournament... I don't know that's like choosing between Halle Berry and Monique, and they chose the fat funny girl. I just don't get it.

originally i think Brandon went to Cheesehead last season because they had connection, star freshman Rossi Bruno was from Wisconsin.

But they won it and liked it, and this year Cheesehead hit gold--- got # 2 Apple Valley, 4 Wyoming Seminary, 5 Brandon, 6 Montini and 17 Simley MN. More real high ranked teams than Beast or Clash.

all i can do is invite the best, its up to them, and sometimes teams have grudges or whatever preconcieved notions. Example, for years PA did Not like Ohio officiating, complained about it. We worked to change that perception, even though most our refs from Ohio

But anymore we don't get complaints, we have a great veteran crew, headed by National Hall of Famer Sandy Cageao, that let's the kids wrestle and does Not often call stalling. In fact ive had several PA coaches tell me our Ironman officiating is the BEST they have ever seen-- who in Ohio thought they'd ever hear that ???? Our refs had to learn to let em wrestle, get use to this high level of wrestling, and let the kids decide the match. i caution incoming teams that they must wrestle aggressively.

i can say once out of state teams come to Ironman, with rare exception they want to come back and do come back, as long as they have the team to compete here. i guess Brandon would be the rare exception.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

I really haven't ever seen much stalling at Ironman- those kids usually come in and throw balls to the wall, for lack of a better term.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"originally I think Brandon went to Cheesehead last season because they had connection, star freshman Rossi Bruno was from Wisconsin."

Parents actually send 14 yeal old freshman that far from home just for high school? Amazing!

Or, and I will try to give the benefit of the doubt here, did the parents relocate to New Jersey?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 15, 2009

Gary,
Brandon is a public high school in Florida. I agree that it would be pretty wild if a kid's parents shipped him off to Florida from Wisconsin but I'm not sure that was implied. Maybe the kid grew up in Wisconsin and at some point the family moved to Florida. I don't know.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on November 17, 2009

Bob (or anyone in the know), heard Andrew Camp was at the Penn State vs Lehigh match, how interested is he and Phillips in tOSU? Any visits scheduled? Who else is on the Buckeye list for next year, assuming this year is a wrap. Thanks.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 17, 2009

well Phillips and Campolattano are the 2 Ohio st wants, those 2 would make their class. Phillips i don't know firsthand, but i think he has many interests right now, even Cal Poly even maybe. Buckeyes not in the lead for Phillips right now from what i know.

Campolattano i think will choose betwen Ohio st and Penn st--- and Cael would seem to give Penn st an edge perhaps, but i hear Campo loves the buckeyes. Tossup.

Mark Adelman added to this discussion on November 17, 2009

I hope it would end up better for Phillips at Cal Poly than Chris Hahn. Remember him?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 17, 2009

yep, Cal Poly then Kent st then Cleveland st for former NHSCA senior nationals champ Chris Hahn.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 18, 2009

Didn't Steve Blunk got to Cal Poly out of HS, as well. Same year as Hahn.

As far as Phillips goes- I was told last year by somebody very close to the situation that he was going to wait to consider colleges until his senior year. Perhaps he changed his mind.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on November 20, 2009

How come Steve Luke is not a grad assistant with the Buckeyes? Is he helping out? I think he would help Sean and Colt (esp Colt) a lot. Thanks.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next