Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: What's next for the Ohio Wrestling Network?
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

With one of the "other" sites going absolute goofy with membership, I was wondering if there were going to be any changes on this forum.

Please , list some things you would or wouldn't like to see changed..

PLEASE don't change...

1) Screen name = real name. I love it!
2) The home page. A TON!!! of info and it is (more importantly) it is laid out in a very organized way.
3) Keep the links! The four that are listed - Gohiocasts, BuckeyeWrestling, BaumsPage (personal fav) and JakesWrestling - are all wells of knowledge that are great for info hunters.

Thaings that could change...

1) At the bottom of the screen, give me a link to either the top of the page or to the main forum

That's about all I have for that.

Actually, I wouldn't mind paying for this site, if it was going to remain relatively the same.

Any other thoughts...

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Lou Demas added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

You may not mind paying,thats cause you got them deep pockets!!!

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

Dear. OhioWrestling.Net:

Please don't change anything one bit. And by change anything one bit, I mean don't make us have to pay for this site.

Thank You!

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

Sounds like Mark wants to be a paying sponsor. That's passion for the sport. You could have your picture to the right side soon>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

Suggestion: get back to options we used to have: BOLD, Parentheses, Underline -- options that can make certain names or points stand out. Kind of bland now.

(what other sites are going bananas with membership? forums are dying, imo due to anonomous posters chasing off legit posters-- i wish more members would contribute here, but at least this one has much less garbage than most others.)

And Bob, that is why I thought THIS very site might take off even more than it already has.

People are going to go crazy looking for info...and they ARE going to go somewhere. And when they find this site, they'll look to post here.

I just wanted to praise the group that runs this site. LOVE IT!

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

To clarify- there has been no discussion regarding making this a pay site. I wouldn't like to see it become that, not to mention I hardly imagine there is much of a drive/market for that.

Thanks to all for the compliments. We will discuss linking the homepage (it is linked up top, but not too visibly). The main forum link is something I agree would be an improvement.

Regarding the news portion of the homepage- don't get Dan and I started on that one. (holds back tounge).....

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

Mark,
i also thought this site might take off more than it has, but we have to understand that -- SADLY-- most internet forums depend on anonomous jerkoffs who like to amuse themselves by harrassing posters, planting rumors, settling grudges, & inciting arguments. This is the state of much of the internet, it attracts the devious who prefer to operate from the shadows.

but this forum will prevail i think, according to records it has hundreds of members signed up. More just need to say something, voice an opinion-- alot of smart wrestling people have signed up on here. s/BobP

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

What I love about this site is the tremendous quality of the posts (with a few exceptions). So many knowledgable posters on this site who have have been following the sport for so long...

John Ice added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

How many JJ Huddlers will show up once they start charging? The fee to use the Huddle will be happening soon.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

This is by far the best site. Not to be a wrestling snob, but I'm a fan of the smaller number of posters. The other sites are absolutely watered down with zero accountability.

Also, I check out JJHuddle often. The charge is a buck a month. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"To clarify- there has been no discussion regarding making this a pay site. I wouldn't like to see it become that, not to mention I hardly imagine there is much of a drive/market for that.

Thanks to all for the compliments. We will discuss linking the homepage (it is linked up top, but not too visibly). The main forum link is something I agree would be an improvement.

Regarding the news portion of the homepage- don't get Dan and I started on that one. (holds back tounge)....."

I would like to state that I didn't say you guys were going to start charging. However, I did say that if you did go that way, I would pay. This site offers SO MUCH MORE (and if you read and follow Bob P's post, you'd know that normaIly would have made those last three words bold and underlined... but NOOOOO!) than the Huddle does in the way of charting specific colleges and giving results for them.

Also, any link I want I can most likely find on here.

Not to mention the radio show. Interviews!?! With some of the greats in high school and college wrestling!?!?!?!?!?! Are you serious!?!?!?!?! GET OUTTA HERE!

Not to mention, as B. Golden pointed out, the shear quality of posts that are on here. "The Philosophical Hammer"... need I say more???

Mark Adelman added to this discussion on November 11, 2009

I've been posting on this site since it's inception and think it is great. I love the information available. But I rank wrestlers (or did) on the huddle and OWS. I'm vinman on the Huddle and Firestonefan every else. To start ranking wrestlers on this site would cause all the readers to come and beg to differ. That's why I haven't Besides I'm only a NE Ohio ranker. I have met Dan Cosimi (at Maple Heights). Do you really want people coming on here and disagreeing with everything you post.
I say let this forum be the one without the controversy. I don't know how many more you will get though, because all the credible wrestling fans have known about this site for years!! It's great.

Good Luck to all wrestlers!!

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 11, 2009

Mark- I knew you weren't incinuating that- just wanted to clarify so nobody thought we were.

Dan probably won't appreciate me going into this much detail, but I will anyway. When we decided that we would switch from usernames to real names, we knew we would be sacrificing volume of posts, but what/who was left would be of greater quality. Would I love the kind of numbers you see elsewhere? Of course.

We love all the support and appreciate it as much as you know. Yeah, this is a great place for links. Anything you can't get here, you can get to from here. Dan did a great job with that.

As far as the radio show goes- the station screwed us on the tapes. We should have all of them availible here (or at www.ohiowrestlingradio.com), but we don't. Being as it was a project I loved doing and thought the product was okay minus some follies, I would have loved to have every broadcast availible to you guys and everybody else. Some of the interviews were just awesome.The tapes are gone, though, and I don't expect to ever see them again. The ones availible on www.ohiowrestlingradio.com are the early couple and are pretty rough. We got better every week, and this was early on.

After rambling, I will at least tell you a funny story.One week, and if you listened to the show, you will know which one I am talking about, we didn't go to a commercial for over an hour (supposed to be every 20 minutes). Pat Hopkins had walked out of his booth and we never saw him come back. So Dan and I are sitting there rambling trying to fill up space because our producer is gone and we can't go to a commercial. After about 40 minutes of Pat missing, I went to look for him. He had gone to go to the bathroom, got locked out of the studio, and was banging on the glass window for a half an hour trying to get our attention.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on November 11, 2009

I don't feel that any major changes are needed. I for one love coming to this website and reading the back-and-forth between such posters as Rex, Hank, Michael, Mark, etc. I wish that I had more time to contribute (not that all of us aren't on a time crunch), but I still try to check in for five minutes every other day to catch up on the banter.

One of the great aspects of this website is the level of accountability that everyone speaks of. It is pervasive in most every thread. It is nice to see educated and well thought out discussions on a range of topics. One item of note, I would venture to guess that the average age range of our posters is from early 30's to 50's. There are, of course, exceptions. This may have something to do with the general civility in our postings. With age comes a greater level of acceptance or tolerance for varying views.

The very first day that this forum switched to using real names, I applauded Dan and staff knowing that it would create a more civil and professional environment unlike some other forums. Once again, I want to say "thank you" for Ohiowrestling.net.

BTW, a "thank you" and "God Bless" to our current and former men and women in uniform on this Veteran's Day.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next