Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Lake Erie College adds wrestling!
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

Lake Erie College, a small liberal arts school in Lake County (Painesville), has made the decision to add a wrestling program. Head coach will be former Chanel standout, Kevin Hoogenboom.

It has been kept very quiet over the last few months but became official today. LEC will compete in 2010-2011 in Division 2. What a great opportunity for Ohio wrestlers as well as a positive sign for our sport.

Congrats to Coach Hoogenboom. And let me express my appreciation to the administration at LEC for adding wrestling.

More details to follow...

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

Wow.

They added football two years ago and now wrestling.

I think they've paid close attention to the successful moves made by Notre Dame. Hopefully, LEC will have the same commitment both from an administrative and financial point of view.

NDC went wrestling first then football. LEC has gone the opposite route.

You guys do realize the state of Ohio has added three wrestling programs over the last five years.

NDC (soon to be D2), LEC and Tiffin. Such good news!

Interesting. If a school drops wrestling, we get a long thread and a lot of discussion. But when a college adds wrestling, there's barely a peep.

I respect the right of people to discuss what they wish but am disappointed at the lack of comment this post has generated. Even just a simple "that's good news" would suffice.

We've seen four schools in the Ohio area (including Ohio Valley college) add programs in the last four years. All are or will be D2--that means scholarship money as well as a substantial increase in the number of wrestling opportunities for Ohio hs wrestlers. Isn't this worth a discussion? Can we discuss what this means? At a time when many D1 programs are on shaky footing, is it significant that our state has added three new programs? Does Kevin Hoogenboom wear boxers of briefs? Bueller? Bueller?

Steve Lester added to this discussion on November 12, 2009

I'll add some random thoughts.

Cuyahoga County has 5 college programs (Cleveland State, Baldwin Wallace, John Carroll, Case Western, and Notre Dame). Portage County has Kent State. Lake County gets represented by Lake Erie College.

Now there remains Summit County (Akron) and Lorain County (Oberlin).
Akron's a long shot and Oberlin probably a longer shot. Any colleges at all in Medina County?

Is there such a thing as too many?
I say no, not for the Greater Cleveland region.

No Juco programs for wrestlers that may need to initially go that route is a bit of a void.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 12, 2009

I don't think Medina County has any full bore colleges.

Tri-C had a wrestling program that got cut a few years back - don't know when or why though.

Certainly good to have additional programs. Schools figure that they're going to get 20-plus students they didn't before. These are tuition paying individuals. Remember that these schools will probably be getting more incoming income from these students than the outlay in launching a program. It's an investment for these schools.

William Danforth added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

Another wrestling program is always good. I have never heard of Lake Erie College. Is it a new school?

Steve Lester added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

Located just west of downtown Painesville, off what you might call Euclid Ave. extended, doors opened in 1859 according to it's website (history tab). That 's 150 years more-or-less. Some of the buildings there look that old (LOL).

Interesting reading. Has some "different" educational specialties. As Hank mentioned they are looking to broaden their horizon (and appeal).

Matt Schein added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

That's fantastic! Never too many wrestling programs in Ohio.

Chris Claflin added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

The new additions would give Ohio five DII wrestling programs between Notre Dame, Findlay, Ashland, Tiffin and Lake Erie. Throw in independent West Liberty State from West Virginia and there may the potential for an Ohio based league. Many of these schools are in the same conference in other sports.

John Mackesy added to this discussion on November 14, 2009

There is definitely a need for JUCO wrestling in Ohio. My son Lucas wrestled for Tri C his first year (and their last) out of HS. Without having had the opportunity to wrestle at Tri C, I don't know that he would have transferred to Findlay to wrestle for Shawn Nelson. Hank you are right, this announcement is something to talk about and be happy about.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 14, 2009

Quote from Chris Claflin's post:

"The new additions would give Ohio five DII wrestling programs between Notre Dame, Findlay, Ashland, Tiffin and Lake Erie. Throw in independent West Liberty State from West Virginia and there may the potential for an Ohio based league. Many of these schools are in the same conference in other sports."

Ohio Valley College just added a D2 program as well. Just terrific to see this boom in wrestling opportunities.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on November 14, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Chris Claflin's post:

"The new additions would give Ohio five DII wrestling programs between Notre Dame, Findlay, Ashland, Tiffin and Lake Erie. Throw in independent West Liberty State from West Virginia and there may the potential for an Ohio based league. Many of these schools are in the same conference in other sports."

Ohio Valley College just added a D2 program as well. Just terrific to see this boom in wrestling opportunities."

Hank, I have live in Ohio 53 years except for my two glorious years in Ann Arbor :), and have never herd of Ohio Valley College. Where is it? What is it?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 14, 2009

http://www.ovu.edu/base.cfm?page_id=5137

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 14, 2009

Lake Erie College is about ten minutes away from me.

That's awesome that they added wrestling! This is their second year of football, I think, and I know a few guys from my alma mater are going there.

I have to say that it's very promising to see schools adding wrestling now rather than eliminating it! Great job, LEC.

Best of luck to the Storm and Coach Hoogenboom.

► Add to the Discussion