Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: David Taylor v. Cyler Sanderson at Penn State Wrestle-Offs
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 3, 2009

All - how are you?

Taylor wrestles Cyler in the PSU wrestle offs Thursday. Taylor seems to be a definite RS.

Am I naive, or are people drastically under estimating Taylor on the national forums? I would not be at all shocked if Taylor beat Sanderson.

In a PSU Student paper earlier this season there was an article about Taylor struggling with Bubba Jenkins. No doubt, every freshman would struggle with a former national finalist in their first week of practice. Taylor skeptics took this article as meaning that Taylor was getting dominated.

My opinion, I would not be suprised if Taylor could beat JENKINS right now. (when Jenkins peters out in the third and D.T. amps it up.)

Discuss.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 4, 2009

Ethan: Bubba Jenkins has one problem. He can't beat Brent Metcalf. He can take him down--frequently. But he can't sustain the effort in the face of Metcalf's constant pressure. Other than that, he has beaten everyone that matters at 149 in the past. Caldwell, Palmer, Burroughs, O'Connor, etc....he has beaten them all. Jenkins is a major stud with power and crazy speed.

Cyler Sanderson is too slick on his feet right now for David Taylor. Although they've practiced together a lot so perhaps it'll be close.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 4, 2009

I have read David's quotes on this subject he said it should be fun for Cyler. I think it could be close but I have a feeling right now Cyler has the upper edge here give it time and Taylor will be right there with him.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on November 4, 2009

The physical nature of college wrestling is something that the majority of incoming freshman struggle with. Taylor is not the most physically imposing wrestlers I've ever looked at. Jenkins is. However, I have no doubt that David will make that adjustment quickly, if he hasn't already. He may have one of the best training situations in the country in training partners, coaches, facilities, etc. to help him achieve his goals.

As for the wrestle off, I'd probably give a slight edge to Cyler too, but wouldn't be surprised if David wins. He's that kind of good...

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 5, 2009

at 157-- Cyler wins i think, much older, should be much stronger-- and should be VERY hungry too. Regardless Taylor redshirts..

Cyler Sanderson only a 7th in 2008 so far, surprising since he was a fargo Jr national freestyle champion-- i recall in their pool he beat Lance Palmer who is already a 3X AA himself to get to the finals-- i forget who Cyler beat in the finals ?

the previous year, his junior year he was leading J Jaggers by a good margin, but got pinned by Jaggers in the fargo finals, with what else? a cradle. s/BobP

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 5, 2009

Looks like Cyler is up 10-3 after the first... Wow. I admit, I am shocked by this.

John Ice added to this discussion on November 5, 2009

Ends up 11-4. The #5 ranked senior beats a freshman. Not that big of a surprise if you ask me.

John Ice added to this discussion on November 5, 2009

Then the freshman Kemerer beats the #9 ranked senior Valimont.4-3.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 6, 2009

Wrestleoff results should not be taken too seriously. This is not high school. Still, some of you don't recognize that David Taylor has an adjustment to make. It's not high school. Guys that succeed greatly as true frosh are uniformly strong. Andrew Howe, Lance Palmer, Dustin Schlatter. Taylor has great skill but will need to adjust to the speed and power of the college game.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on November 6, 2009

From the PSU website...

174: Senior David Erwin (Urbana, Ohio), coming off a season missed with an injury, met freshman Justin Ortega (Oxford, Pa.) at 174. Erwin went on offense early and notched his first takedown at the 2:40 mark and led 2-1 after an Ortega escape. The senior then countered an Ortega shot to nearly notch another takedown, but Ortega forced a stalemate with 1:00 left in the period. Erwin had one final shot at points as the period ended but could not score. Trailing 2-1, Ortega chose down to start the second stanza and quickly escaped to a 2-2 tie. Erwin continued to be the aggressor, but Ortega's defense kept the senior from putting any more points on the scoreboard. Ortega got hit with a first stall warning with 1:00 left in the second period. Ortega lifted Erwin with just :20 left and took the senior down for a 4-2 lead as the second period ended. Erwin chose down to start the third stanza but could not work out from a strong Ortega ride. Erwin gave up a stall point as well and Ortega broke open a 5-2 lead. The red-shirt freshman picked up a riding time point to post a convincing 6-2 win.

285: Sophomore heavyweight Cameron Wade (Twinsburg, Ohio), ranked No. 20 at 285, met senior Brendan Herlihy (Fairfield, Conn.). Wade finished off a single leg to get the bout's first takedown and lead 2-0 at the 1:17 mark. The sophomore then quickly turned Herlihy to his back for three back points and a 5-0 lead. He then rode the senior out to take a 5-0 lead into the second period. Herlihy chose neutral to start the second period. Wade added a second takedown after a Herlihy stall and led 7-0 with just over :30 left in the period. Herlihy gave up a stall point as the period ended and Wade led 8-0 after two periods. Wade chose down to start the final stanza and escaped to a 9-0 lead. Wade countered a Herlihy shot and got his own takedown with 1:10 left, adding another three point near fall to lead 14-0 with :34 left in the bout. Wade then rode Herlihy out, added the riding time point, and notched a 15-0 technical fall at the 7:00 mark.

157: 2008 All-American Cyler Sanderson (Heber City, Utah), ranked No. 5 at 157, met true freshman David Taylor (St. Paris, Ohio). Sanderson made his first seconds on a Rec Hall mat count with a sizzling four point move (takedown and two near fall points) right out of the gates against Taylor. Sanderson added a second takedown and two more near fall points to up his lead to 8-1 with 1:21 left in the period. A third takedown with :40 left gave Cyler a 10-3 lead after a Taylor escape. Leading 10-3, Sanderson chose down to start the second period. Taylor was able to ride Sanderson for nearly a minute before the All-American was able to escape to an 11-3 lead. Trailing 11-3 and needing back points, Taylor chose top to start the third period and nearly turned the senior for back points right off the opening whistle. But Sanderson was able to fight back to parallel and keep his eight-point lead. Taylor put together a very strong ride, maintaining control of Sanderson while trying to lock in on a cradle. But Sanderson was able to fight off every Taylor scoring effort and wind out the period. The strong ride out allowed Taylor to work up a 1:41 riding time edge and keep the bout to a regular decision. Still, Sanderson's sizzling start allowed the All-American to walk away with an 11-4 decision.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on November 6, 2009

I had this vision of Sanderson using lightning-like long distance ankle picks on Taylor. I remember Sanderson's skill with that move from the Dapper Dan and Senior Nationals, and thought David might be vulnerable to that at this stage, though I don't know what Sanderson actually used for his TDs.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on November 6, 2009

Quote from John Ice's post:

"Ends up 11-4. The #5 ranked senior beats a freshman. Not that big of a surprise if you ask me."

Probably not, but it must be to some based on some of the posts above.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on November 6, 2009

Quote from John Ice's post:

"Then the freshman Kemerer beats the #9 ranked senior Valimont.4-3."

Redshirt or true freshman?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 6, 2009

This result is a suprise to me. Most of my attention is paid to college wrestling and not HS, so I do understand the adjustment. However, I compare Taylor to the likes of Howe, Schlatter, etc. After watching his match against Palmer from last season I felt he was strong enough to compete from the outset.

This further validates how impressive Howe, Dustin, etc were during their freshmen campaigns.

Obviously, I believe Taylor will be just fine and this result has no lasting impact on his future.

I would really like to see Cyler have a great senior season.

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on November 6, 2009

David Taylor does not have the strength to compete effectively at 157 in college right now. He would be mauled physically by all of the top 157 lbrs. The good news is his technique is lights out and he has a year to add muscle to his frame. He will be fine when he hits the mats next year.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next