Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Video: 1988 D1 final at 189, Rex Holman (Upper Arlington) v. Nate Lewis (Libbey)
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 26, 2009

The Philosophical Hammer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf_xBFVNvpE

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Video: 1988 D1 final at 189, Rex Holman (Upper Arlington) v. Nate Lewis (Libbey)
Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 26, 2009

Watching it was kind of painful for the following reason:

I lacked composure. He slammed me after the whistle in the second and knocked the wind out of me. I started wrestling a little dirty thereafter as my emotions controlled me in a negative way.

If I could be the coach of that young redhead with what I know now, then I could have set him straight on so many things.

Nate Lewis was an extremely talented athlete.

Nice mullet. It was a social norm at the time. It looks really stupid now though.

Last edited by Rex Holman on October 26, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 26, 2009

--Sweet arm spin. And great half off the arm bar. I don't know how Lewis could breathe let alone get off his back.

--Lewis was tough. We used to see more kids like him. By that I mean public school products from little known programs that rose up and accomplished something major.
--You sound like Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption when you chastize yourself. In spite of all your flaws, you won two state titles and attained "legendary" status. All of us would do a lot differently. If I could do it over, I'd invest everything in Microsoft...

Hank-

Here is the thing with me; It is painful because I see myself act of anger without the discipline to negotiate the situation properly. I had not developed/evolved a skillset, which allowed me to manage my emotions. Typical of an 18 y/o. However, an athlete can and will show amazing emotional skills to match technical skills, if instructed on how to do so. Thus, my reference to an older version of myself instructing a younger one would be that of developing the emotional intelligence to couple with a technical skillset. I would be able to explain the importance of this skillset and how it would better serve one greatly in life as opposed shooting double legs. Not that double legs are bad, but they are limited in their application.

Anger itself is not a bad things as long as it is used at the right time, right place, right degree and right manner. I competed anger appropriate a lot of times. i.e. dual vs. Iowa my senior year at OSU (one of my favorite performances)

I guess I see a system that was not in place. Efforts like those of Coach Ryan emphasizing Life Champions is a start or rather a continuation of efforts to develop the whole athlete.

I still see a lot of programs that just emphasize winning; all other things be damned.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 26, 2009

Keep typing, Rex! Like McDonalds... I'm loving it!!!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 26, 2009

"If I could be the coach of that young redhead with what I know now, then I could have set him straight on so many things. "

I'd be willing to bet there isn't one poster who wrestled that doesn't feel that way. Competitive intelligent people always look back and see what they could have done better. I understand your disappointment however because you were waxing the guy and the only thing anger could have done is make you do something you wouldn't have normally done.

I was really impressed with how aggressive and technically sound you were while also having great defense. Always in good position. High school coaches should show this match to their wrestlers. Great stuff.

Never saw any of your matches before. Any others out there that could be posted?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 26, 2009

Rex: I understand your lament. Most of us have them for a variety of reasons. But what it really comes down to is that rarely at that age does a coach teach you the type of mental/emotional control that you wish you'd had. As a former hs coach, most of my focus was on trying to make sure my wrestlers were ready to go. I wanted them pumped up. The type of mental toughness you wish had been part of your make up for that match just isn't something typically taught at that level. My point--you performed as you'd been prepared to perform.

When you got to the next level, someone must have helped you harness your emotional energies. At that point, when all the competitors are elite, it makes more sense for coaches to work on those skills.

Just my thoughts.

Roe-

Thanks. With regard to old matches on video, I have a bunch, some of which are worthy of review. If I get some time, I will look into it as I know I have enjoyed watching others' videos.

Hank-

You make a good point about coaching the athlete to compete and that is one of the things about high school athletics that is great. It is all brand new to the athlete and the emotion is largely raw and true.

Obviously, I have a different perspective now than I did back then. It's true that sometimes you are your own worst critic. I am unable to look at it from a spectator and entertainment view, I look at it with a critical eye to detail, some of which is good and some not so good. That is all I was saying.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 26, 2009

[quote="Rex Holman"]Hank-

Here is the thing with me; It is painful because I see myself act of anger without the discipline to negotiate the situation properly. I had not developed/evolved a skillset, which allowed me to manage my emotions. Typical of an 18 y/o. However, an athlete can and will show amazing emotional skills to match technical skills, if instructed on how to do so. Thus, my reference to an older version of myself instructing a younger one would be that of developing the emotional intelligence to couple with a technical skillset. I would be able to explain the importance of this skillset.[quote]

If "old" Rex were coaching "young" Rex's high school team, how specifically could you have taught young Rex and his teammates this? I have my own ideas I use with my wrestlers now, but I'm always open to new ideas.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on October 26, 2009

Rex,
I'd love to see the Iowa match you are refering to (your senior year at OSU).
Along the same lines of an earlier question, how were you taught later in your wrestling career to control the emotional side of the sport? How did you get to a point to wrestle anger appropriate? Clearly, you are the most qualified to answer this.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 27, 2009

Brady-

I would incorporate classroom lecture(about 30 minutes) into practice 1-2 week. I did this when I coached at New Albany. I would show video and point out qualities, scenarios and situations while discussing processes. I would usually get inspired by some wrestling concept and put a class together. It was done on the fly as I would call Cofer and ask whether we could do classroom. If I were to get really organized and coaching was my primary attention, I would put a lesson plan together that illustrated concepts central to wrestling and the importance of developing skillsets that you would carry forward for the rest of your life. I think some kids are better classroom learners; I think it let's kids see things in a different light(sports and education are a natural mix); I think it hammers home the importance of concepts and aids in retention. I would make kids carry a wrestling notebook in which they took notes and had to do small but very constructive assignments.

For example, I was concerned with how some of our kids, one in particular was dealing with losing. He had developed some very bad habits. I related it to the grieving process by Kubler-Ross and how losing can be a function of denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance by default and how feelings of worthlessness are a mutation of anger misdirected. I pointed out how with a learned response, the individual can have a positive response to losing as long as one accepts as a learning opportunity and motivation to work harder. So, that was the basic premise for one lecture.

It seemed to be well received and the kids took something of value away from it.

I could put something together like that that would cover an entire season and it adds so much value to the learning experience of sport. The topics of the lectures can be of a technical or emotional nature.

Hope it is of service to you.

Last edited by Rex Holman on October 27, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Mike-

My dad has been the strongest influence in my life. He wrestled in high school at Franklin Heights, graduated from the USNA and went to law school at OSU. He is a function of discipline. Everything he has done in his life, which includes influencing and guiding me relates back to his experience at the Naval Academy.

He instilled a lot of discipline, work ethic and love of wrestling in me. As I look back, I did not necessary understand why or the processes that were important, I just followed his lead. So, out of high school and in college, I had not developed a real strong skillset to deal with a lot of adversity. My emotional skillset was largly developed on the fly through trial and error and emulation of people who I admired. It is the technique of default that most of us use, which is to find someone that we admire and aquire some of their traits. If your hero acts the douchebag, then it is likely you will follow suit. If you hero is a stand up guy, then you will likely act in accordance with their actions. Hence, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

I like to deconstruct situations and look at the pieces and parts; kind of like an engineer but with relation to emotions and processes.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on October 27, 2009

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Mike-

My dad has been the strongest influence in my life. He wrestled in high school at Franklin Heights, graduated from the USNA and went to law school at OSU. He is a function of discipline. Everything he has done in his life, which includes influencing and guiding me relates back to his experience at the Naval Academy.

He instilled a lot of discipline, work ethic and love of wrestling in me. As I look back, I did not necessary understand why or the processes that were important, I just followed his lead. So, out of high school and in college, I had not developed a real strong skillset to deal with a lot of adversity. My emotional skillset was largly developed on the fly through trial and error and emulation of people who I admired. It is the technique of default that most of us use, which is to find someone that we admire and aquire some of their traits. If your hero acts the douchebag, then it is likely you will follow suit. If you hero is a stand up guy, then you will likely act in accordance with their actions. Hence, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

I like to deconstruct situations and look at the pieces and parts; kind of like an engineer but with relation to emotions and processes."

As a Navy guy myself, I already like your dad. Thanks for the reply.

Mike-

Back to your question regarding wrestling anger appropriate; here is a test and analogy upon which one can learn; does the emotion affect you in a negative or positive way and does the emotion allow you to act in accordance with your self image? An emotion should be the passenger in your vehicle, if you give him the wheel, he is likely to veer off course. Utilize the passenger to augment your focus and determination in a manner that acts in accordance to the route you want to take. I realize that is brief but I don't have the time right now to deconstruct it more objectively.

Last edited by Rex Holman on October 27, 2009; edited 1 time in total

I mention default in regards to mindset a lot. It is the way we respond to a situation whenever we have not developed a toolset for proper engagement. Everyone's toolset is a work in progress. Some are more evolved than others. With a highly evolved toolset in place, one can navigate whatever situations with a higher likelihood of success.

Without a learned toolset, we are at the mercy of our default response.

Think Terrelle Pryor. He makes a lot of mental mistakes which lead to poor decision making, which I propose is caused by an underdeveloped toolset; remind yourself that he is 19 y/o. Couple that with some skillsets (technical aspects) that are good (not great) and what you have left is a lot of raw talent that still needs to be developed. I am not picking on him. I am just giving an objective view of what I see. He is thrust into a situation in which everything on offense revolves around a quarterback and he is being overwhelmed when the level of competition and variables are increased. Without the toolset and skillset in place, you are in effect set up for failure.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next