Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: InterMat Preseason College Rankings Released
Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 23, 2009

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college

Things I noticed:

Hump and Pucillo start out #1. Palmer is #3 under Ruschell, but I think his 3 shutout wins over Ruschell should have outweighed his 1-point loss. I'm sure he will rectify that, though. Sponseller comes in at #8 in an absolutely hellacious weightclass. Triggas, Rella, and Morrison are also ranked.

Askren gets a lot of respect as the #2 guy over Keddy at his new weight.

They show Gelogaev a decent amount of respect for a guy who has never competed in folk before. Starts out at #4.

How is Garrett Scott still considered a sophomore? Seems like he's been around forever. He is ranked #5 at 149.

Oliver enters the rankings at #7. That's got to be the highest a freshman has started out in a long time.

Brandon Rader re-enters wrestling as the #3 ranked 141. I think this might be a bit high for a guy who has had some serious injuries and hasn't competed in 2 years, but he was certainly very good in his prime.

My fantasy team starts out with 6 guys ranked in the top 5. I'm pleased with that, but almost everyone else is ranked outside the top 10--for now.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 23, 2009

Bucksman and Bob P: Any idea when the preseason HS rankings will be out?

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 23, 2009

Ben:

Preseason high school rankings are floating around.

WrestlingUSA
http://wrestlingusa.com/02%20wusa%20web%20root/allmajorpages/bestwrestlers.html
only class rankings right now (seniors, juniors, frosh/soph); weight class rakings mid-November

WIN Magazine
http://win-magazine.com/Rankings/Brute%20Rankings%20Current%20High%20School.html

Amateur Wrestling News
they're not online yet as far as I can tell. Bob would know the date for sure.

InterMat
Expect them second week of November right before the early college signing period. That's the current schedule.
Class rankings WILL NOT be updated at this point, they will be next updated in very early December (just waiting for some of the "corrections" that come from an initial preseason set, as well as for the Tulsa Kickoff Classic in the junior high realm).

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 23, 2009

Gelogaev - I understand this is freestyle, but based on this he seems like a title contender to me:

Prior to OSU: Trained under Russian wrestling legend Buvaisar Saitiev in Krasnoyarsk, Siberia for five years ... Won an international tournament in Nice, France in 2006 ... Took third at the 2006 Russian National Championship ... Third-place finisher at the International Youth Wrestling Tournament in Kalinigrad in 2006 ... Placed second at the 2008 New York Athletic Club Open, pinning 2008 U.S. Olympic team member Andy Hrovat in the semifinal round before eventually falling to 2008 Olympian Nicolai Ceban of Moldova in the title bout.

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/gelogaev_alan00.html

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 24, 2009

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Gelogaev - I understand this is freestyle, but based on this he seems like a title contender to me:

Prior to OSU: Trained under Russian wrestling legend Buvaisar Saitiev in Krasnoyarsk, Siberia for five years ... Won an international tournament in Nice, France in 2006 ... Took third at the 2006 Russian National Championship ... Third-place finisher at the International Youth Wrestling Tournament in Kalinigrad in 2006 ... Placed second at the 2008 New York Athletic Club Open, pinning 2008 U.S. Olympic team member Andy Hrovat in the semifinal round before eventually falling to 2008 Olympian Nicolai Ceban of Moldova in the title bout.

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/gelogaev_alan00.html"

I absolutely agree he is a title contender, I just think from a rankings standpoint he hasn't done anything in folk to earn that high of a ranking. Rumor has it that he manhandles Jared Rosholt in the room, though.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 24, 2009

Quote from Josh Lowe's post:

"Ben:

Preseason high school rankings are floating around.

WrestlingUSA
http://wrestlingusa.com/02%20wusa%20web%20root/allmajorpages/bestwrestlers.html
only class rankings right now (seniors, juniors, frosh/soph); weight class rakings mid-November

WIN Magazine
http://win-magazine.com/Rankings/Brute%20Rankings%20Current%20High%20School.html

Amateur Wrestling News
they're not online yet as far as I can tell. Bob would know the date for sure.

InterMat
Expect them second week of November right before the early college signing period. That's the current schedule.
Class rankings WILL NOT be updated at this point, they will be next updated in very early December (just waiting for some of the "corrections" that come from an initial preseason set, as well as for the Tulsa Kickoff Classic in the junior high realm)."

Thanks!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 26, 2009

I really like Pitt's 141 lber. He's very very tough.

You mention Oliver at #7 -- just three sports below him is another freshman, Tyler Graff (WI). I'm sure well see plenty of battles between those two over the next 4 years.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 26, 2009

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"I really like Pitt's 141 lber. He's very very tough."

He gave Jaggers a very close match at NCAAs and wrestled pretty much everyone hard all year... I wouldn't be surprised if he AA'd

Joe Daugherty added to this discussion on November 2, 2009

I can't figure out why Tye Mitch is not ranked on the InterMat High School rankings at 119!!!

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 2, 2009

Quote from Joe Daugherty's post:

"I can't figure out why Tye Mitch is not ranked on the InterMat High School rankings at 119!!!"

That would be because the 2009-10 rankings have not been completed yet.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 2, 2009

Garrett Scott's not on the Edinboro roster anymore. Don't know if he'll transfer somewhere else, but Penn State & Edinboro apparently didn't want him. I think the Sponseller/King matchup in December will be interesting. Colt has beaten the defending NCAA Champ twice already, the last time rather convincingly.

Joe Daugherty added to this discussion on November 3, 2009

Quote from Josh Lowe's post:

"

Quote from Joe Daugherty's post:

"I can't figure out why Tye Mitch is not ranked on the InterMat High School rankings at 119!!!"

That would be because the 2009-10 rankings have not been completed yet."

I look forward to when they are. Thanks for the clarification Josh.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 3, 2009

AWN preseason indiv high school & also the Prep 40 team rankings are both posted on website www.amateurwrestlingnews.com

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 4, 2009

Bob: How does Garcia get #1at 160? What about Peppelman?

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on November 4, 2009

Bob said he took himself out of it and let Ron decide, I won't put my opinion on him letting Ron choose, but I do believe Fargo has a lot to do with it (just look at Sulzer over Demas). Pepp should def be number 1 though!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next