Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OSU Wrestle-Offs?
Greg Debbe added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

I've been out of the loop so I apologize if this has already been discussed but did the wrestle-offs already happen? If not, does anyone know when and where they are going to be?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

As far as I know, there is no public wrestle-off. The best we could get was the public wrestling practice they held during the coach's clinic.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

Anyone have any projections as to who is going to be where and wrestling whom? If they do it like last year I think there were round robins then a final.

Will redshirts stay out of the competition? I'm sure those close to the program have a pretty good idea of whio is at what weight by now.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

I'm assuming the lineup will look somewhat familiar as far as returning guys go...

125: Triggas
141: Humphrey
149: Palmer
165: Sponseller
174: Rella
184: Pucillo
285: Morrison

For new faces in the lineup...

133: Not really sure here. Harrington, Paddock, Henry, Kelly?
157: Nemec
197: Magrum

Just a side notes/ thoughts...
- I saw a Flo interview with Jameson and he is up in the 157/165 arena now.
- I'm assuming that they'll redshirt Collin Palmer.
- 165 is one of the most brutal weights I've ever seen this year. But I'm predicting Colt pulls through and gets on that podium.
- 157, on the other hand, seems to have cleared out a bit and Nemec has a very good shot of getting AA status
- What to do with 133?

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on October 23, 2009

I am thinkin lineup will look like this
125 Triggas
133 Paddock
141 Hump
149 Palmer
157 Nemec
165 Spon
174 Rella
184 Pucillo
197 Magrum
285 Morrison

I thought I heard that Hiles beating Morrison in room though. Not sure on that one though...

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 23, 2009

That's exactly what I think the lineup will be, Brian.

Brad Perkins added to this discussion on October 23, 2009

Was very impressed by Paddock during the practice at the coaches clinic. He could have a very bright future for the Buckeyes.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 23, 2009

I'm sure the investment made in some wrestlers has alot to do with how the initial lineup is determined. As to the Bucks this season, I think we'll see potential comp for spots at 133, 157, 174, 197 and 285.

133: Paddock will most likely start as long as he demonstrates that he is better than Henry and Harrington. If one of the latter pair were to emerge while Paddock faltered, they could nab the spot.

157: I expect Sean Nemec will start and make a solid accounting of himself. Still, there's depth at this weight so the pressure will be on him to perform. Tony Jameson is a former 4x champ. He's a high profile recruit in his own right so it's hard not to see him getting a chance to challenge. Then there are Kusar and Azargam both of whom have done some impressive things in open comp. Good weight for the Bucks. I'd imagine someone here could slide over to 165 if Sponseller were injured.

174: Rella will start but Heflin might give him a bit of a push.

197: Magrum seems the obvious choice because this is where the staff wanted him. Still, if he falters can anyone push him? Stolarksy?

285: Morrison is more proven and a 5th yr senior. It would be good if Hiles is pushing him; none of the other 285 recruits have been able to grab it. If Hiles can show in early season comp that he can start and win, this weight class could hold the most drama.

► Add to the Discussion