Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Life Champions... tOSU
Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on October 19, 2009

This video is impressive. Not only is Tom Ryan pulling out all the stops to bring the NCAA title to Columbus, but his program is set on outputting life champions. When you see something like this, it's not surprising how they can get such quality recruits.

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235728-the-ohio-state-university/205056-building-life-champions

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 21, 2009

Not at all to diminish what Ohio State does, but my wild and crazy guess is that they are not the only school or wrestling team who cares about what becomes of their athletes after wrestling.

John Ice added to this discussion on October 21, 2009

Well, you did diminish what they do. As usual.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 21, 2009

For those of you who listen to "The Really Big Show" on WKNR...
Gary is to Buckeye wrestling what Aaron Goldhammer is to Buckeye football.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 21, 2009

There's nothing wrong with being critical of Ohio State, I do it all the time. But as usual Gary, much like your comparision of David Taylor to Terrel Owens and your questions about where LeBron James' charity donations actually come from, you find a way to take something 100% positive and spin in a negitive light.

Whether you like Ohio State wrestling or not, this is a good thing.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 21, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Not at all to diminish what Ohio State does, but my wild and crazy guess is that they are not the only school or wrestling team who cares about what becomes of their athletes after wrestling."

I think this is true but I don't think it applies to a few of the top tier programs. Haven't seen much proof that Brands, for nstance, stresses anything like this.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

I think Gary has a point to an extent. I am sure every program cares that they put out good human beings. Kind of like a politician who is "tough on crime".

I think the point that can be made here is one Tom Ryan mentioned himself and that was the visual aspect of it all. How many programs are competing for community service and then placing the results on a board outside the practice room? 5? 10?? 50??? I don't know, but I do like it.

There are a great number of things that I enjoy seeing when I go into the Steelwood facility and one of them is watching practice.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

I don't think that the real point is how many DI schools are doing this kind of thing or how they are doing it. The point is, how many high school and middle school coaches will now try to emulate Tom Ryan and Ohio State. Just doing it is great. Letting everyone in the wrestling community know you are doing it and how you are doing it is what is truly important about this video.

As for other programs...OSU is in a unique position being located in the middle of a city as large as Columbus. How many of the other top tier programs are in that position? Not many. My point is that many programs do it, but a lot of them are campus based programs because the options are limited so we would never know about them unless we were on campus. OSU can be more far reaching and help a broader base of people and Tom Ryan is embracing that.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

Mark-

Excellent point on visual affirmation. Males are predominantly visually motivated. Seeing as opposed to listening is a better mechanism of delivery.
Hellickson did this with charts on the wall with regard to takedwns, pins, etc.
The next step is getting the troops to internalize it, which seems to be the focus of the book of which he speaks

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

Quote from John Ice's post:

"Well, you did diminish what they do. As usual."

Exactly how so?

Must the "buckeye nation" always be so sensitive to everything that is said? And can they ever give anyone else credit?

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"For those of you who listen to "The Really Big Show" on WKNR...
Gary is to Buckeye wrestling what Aaron Goldhammer is to Buckeye football."

Once again, how so? So you are saying they are the only team that cares about post-wrestling? That is ALL I mentioned.

And, comparing me to that goof is fighting words. :)

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"There's nothing wrong with being critical of Ohio State, I do it all the time. But as usual Gary, much like your comparision of David Taylor to Terrel Owens and your questions about where LeBron James' charity donations actually come from, you find a way to take something 100% positive and spin in a negitive light.

Whether you like Ohio State wrestling or not, this is a good thing."

Sure it is. Now back to my question, does anyone really believe they are the only program who cares? That they are the only one who have some sort of recruiting advantage because of it?

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"I think this is true but I don't think it applies to a few of the top tier programs. Haven't seen much proof that Brands, for nstance, stresses anything like this."

Roe, that might very well be the case. I would not dispute that at all.

Quote from Scott Shaw's post:

"I don't think that the real point is how many DI schools are doing this kind of thing or how they are doing it. The point is, how many high school and middle school coaches will now try to emulate Tom Ryan and Ohio State. Just doing it is great. Letting everyone in the wrestling community know you are doing it and how you are doing it is what is truly important about this video.

As for other programs...OSU is in a unique position being located in the middle of a city as large as Columbus. How many of the other top tier programs are in that position? Not many. My point is that many programs do it, but a lot of them are campus based programs because the options are limited so we would never know about them unless we were on campus. OSU can be more far reaching and help a broader base of people and Tom Ryan is embracing that."

Letting everyone know might be fine, or it might be a bit self-serving (let the criticism of me begin). It just reminds me a little of athletes who do charity work, but seem to make sure there is a camera around to capture it or a publicist around to promote it. I was always taught the best work is done in anonymity.

MIght there be advantages for others in knowing what and how OSU does this? Sure. Might there be an advantage for OSU in letting others know. Yea, I think so.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

Gary,
I wasn't comparing you to Aaron, I was comparing your "haterism" toward Buckeye wrestling to Aaron's toward Buckeye football. (And before you say that you drank orange juice in the morning and not haterade, let me point out that this topic would never have had a negative spin if you hadn't posted it.) TRBS is a very entertaining show -- I'm a fan -- and Aaron's anti-Buckeye opinions make him the guy we love to hate. While I vehemently disagree with him, I recognize that he does a good job over there.

Now if we could just get Rizzo to talk about wrestling... [Insert cowbell/cheer sound effect here]

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

Gary, your opinion is your opinion and I am not one to bash you for it. I will say that having listened to Tom Ryan speak, speaking to him and his staff, and asking them questions, it is MY feeling that he genuine and not self-serving. Will it impress a parent or two with kids interested in tOSU, yes, but in general I think that Coach Ryan was just saying, "Hey, this is what we are doing and we think that it is a good idea and it is working. Check it out." I personally will be reading "Talent is Never Enough" and will check out a second copy for my wife so that she can read it.

I would also recommend "Power Ambition Glory" by Steve Forbes. The parallels between the successes and failures of ancient leaders and today's business leaders are pretty astounding. Just thought that I would throw that out there.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

Cowbell/cheer sound effect entered here.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"There's nothing wrong with being critical of Ohio State, I do it all the time. But as usual Gary, much like your comparision of David Taylor to Terrel Owens and your questions about where LeBron James' charity donations actually come from, you find a way to take something 100% positive and spin in a negitive light.

Whether you like Ohio State wrestling or not, this is a good thing."

Sure it is. Now back to my question, does anyone really believe they are the only program who cares? That they are the only one who have some sort of recruiting advantage because of it?"

The answer to both your questions is no. You see how that works? you asked a question and I answered it. Could you answer a question for me? Why did you feel the need to look at it from that point of view? It's not about defending Ohio State (I'm certainly not a fan). It's about calling you out for your constant negitive attitude toward positive things.

In the last few months you have taken a negitive stance on David Taylor, Cael Sanderson, LeBron James, teachers (who switch Districts) and people under 50. You've even found a way to make charity suspect.

Now, when a video pops up showing a wrestling program doing something positive for its wrestlers and its community, your comment is, "they are not the only school or wrestling team who cares about what becomes of their athletes after wrestling". Again, my question to you is why?

And while your answering that, could you finally answer my question from our last discussion: When was this by gone era that you lived in where things were so different? You know, when integrity and honesty were so much more prevalent?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 22, 2009

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"Gary,
I wasn't comparing you to Aaron, I was comparing your "haterism" toward Buckeye wrestling to Aaron's toward Buckeye football. (And before you say that you drank orange juice in the morning and not haterade, let me point out that this topic would never have had a negative spin if you hadn't posted it.) TRBS is a very entertaining show -- I'm a fan -- and Aaron's anti-Buckeye opinions make him the guy we love to hate. While I vehemently disagree with him, I recognize that he does a good job over there.

Now if we could just get Rizzo to talk about wrestling... [Insert cowbell/cheer sound effect here]"

Dan, I think the only kind of wrestling he will ever discuss is what his father used to announce. I doubt if he knows anything about actual wrestling.

I got what you were saying, but just seeing me in the same discussion as Goldhammer was disturbing. :)

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next