Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Video: 1988 D1 Final at 152, Robert Taylor (Southview) v. Joey Collins (St. Ignatius)
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 19, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2E3rrHMZCw

Robert Taylor (Lorain Southview) v. Joey Collins (Cleveland St. Ignatius)

I'll have Joey's brother up soon. He wrestled in the 160-pound finals match.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Video: 1988 D1 Final at 152, Robert Taylor (Southview) v. Joey Collins (St. Ignatius)
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 19, 2009

Good match between two b-dass-s of that era. As an aside, you can see how skills have improved since that time. Both wresters were physical and strong but neither was demonstrating the type of technique you see in most state champs today.

Doug Noel added to this discussion on October 19, 2009

Great Match- Thanks!!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 19, 2009

Great bout. This match was the culmination of one of the most brutal brackets in Ohio High school history. Taylor was the defending champion, Joey Collins was Taylor's last loss of his championship season and also beat him in at the Mentor District the week before. Aaron Schetter (a runner-up from the season before) took a strong third in OT over the excellent Gilmore from Rogers. Two future state champions Splete and Corso battled for 5th/6th. Interestingly, Taylor could have wrestled 160 and won the title, having beaten the eventual champ rather easily at Brunzwick earlier that season. That 160-pound champ was Joe Collins' twin brother Marty.

Hank mentioned how much the technique has changed (advanced), but the other thing that stands out to me is how different the team race was back then. Ignatius qualified three wrestlers to the State Tourney...and they won the team title. Not possible in today's climate. When was the last time Division I was won with as little as 77 points? And when was the last time St. Edward scored less than 50 at the State Tourney?

Mark...The 140-pound match on that tape is a good one, with two undefeated wrestlers meeting in a highly anticipated bout. It ended in an upset and it was over in less than a minute.

140...got it. Just picking the right time to unleash it...given it's brevity.

I think I'm going with the MIGHTY Rex Holman next. NO!!! I have to put the brother at 160 up. (I've been on the receiving end of that, "Oh yeah, he DID have a brother" syndrome.) I've got your back, Marty!

After that, I'll put up the MIGHTY Rex Holman.

Brother Marty is up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fChcQN8oaA

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 19, 2009

Cruiser/Mike, etc...

I am thoroughly enjoying these videos. Thanks very much.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 20, 2009

Fun to watch for sure. Hard nosed wrestling, straight forward; A different sport than college wrestling. Watching these videos remind me why I wanted to be a wrestler.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on October 20, 2009

I remeber the match well, real dog fight. I hear that wrestling today has better technique and we would not stand a chance against them. This is were I disagree. I think rex still walks through ohio states room. I know for a fact shawn nelson still works the guys in his room. I see very good technique today, but put toal, or lang against either one of those guys and you would be very supprised at how they would do, those guys had technique but you have to put up with the head banging snaps that make your teeth rattle. It's the attitude at which they competed. they tried to break you and not out finesse you. That is how they are wired. they prefer to knock each other around then out slick each other. It was a different time and it wasn't always nice. The mistake that you guys make is that you mis take the brawling for lack of technique, it ain't pretty, but very effective. All the tech. doesn't help when your just fighting to keep your head up. Right or wrong, there were real tough guys, and they could win at any time, because they are not the type to be denied.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 21, 2009

And it seems there is a lot of value regarding technique in doing a few things exceptonally well.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 21, 2009

There is a lot of truth in some of the points you make, but I see things a little differently. The scrapping of which you speak is the common denominator in wrestlers regardless of era. Technique is better nowadays; thanks in part to our generation paying its dues and figuring out how to improve upon what was presented by the old guard. This takes into account changes in rules and technical evolution that is more efficient and effective. Bear in mind that the generation before us went through the same cycle. There was a large focus on head banging and snap downs in the 80s. There is more focus on movement and hand fighting today. A person that has wrestled for the greater part of a lifetime, body willing, understands position better than a newbie and can take advantage of the relative inexperience of a green wrestler.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 21, 2009

Clarification to my last post...

I don't think wrestler's today are better than those from years past. Champions are champions. The qualities that make one a great competitor now are the same as twenty years ago...forty years ago...one hundred years ago...

What I noticed was the difference in technique from the star wrestlers of today as opposed to those from twenty years ago. The biggest changes are in the riding techniques and the countering/scrambling.

But I do not think that these evolving tactics make today's wrestler superior. The only difference is in the type of moves used.

Joe Daugherty added to this discussion on October 23, 2009

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"I remeber the match well, real dog fight. I hear that wrestling today has better technique and we would not stand a chance against them. This is were I disagree. I think rex still walks through ohio states room. I know for a fact shawn nelson still works the guys in his room. I see very good technique today, but put toal, or lang against either one of those guys and you would be very supprised at how they would do, those guys had technique but you have to put up with the head banging snaps that make your teeth rattle. It's the attitude at which they competed. they tried to break you and not out finesse you. That is how they are wired. they prefer to knock each other around then out slick each other. It was a different time and it wasn't always nice. The mistake that you guys make is that you mis take the brawling for lack of technique, it ain't pretty, but very effective. All the tech. doesn't help when your just fighting to keep your head up. Right or wrong, there were real tough guys, and they could win at any time, because they are not the type to be denied."

Yeah thanks Bill, my teeth still hurt! Glad to see you are still around.

► Add to the Discussion