Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio's Other Top 20 Team
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 13, 2009

No one's talking about Kent but look at their potential lineup.

125: Nic Bedelyon
133: Dan Mitcheff
141: Chase Skonieczny
149: Matt Cathell
157: Mallie Shuster
165: Obie Simpson
174: Chris Estep
184: Dustin Kilgore
197: Adam Cogar
285: Brendan Barlow

I like this squad's potential alot. Bedelyon and Mitcheff are very strong at the top. Skonieczny probably slides in unless Clopton beats him out. Both did well last year in open tourney action. Cathell was the prize of the defunct Delaware State program. He's a huge pickup for Kent and gives them a 4th AA candidate (along with Bedelyon, Mitcheff and Kilgore). Shuster probably takes the spot from the surprising Tice while Simpson has shown a lot of ability when he wrestles hard. Only Estep represents a soft spot in the lineup although he's shown a ton of improvement since taking over at 174. Kilgore remains a serious AA candidate. Cogar had an excellent redshirt season and could be a big surprise at 197. His finals match with Scales two years ago, while low scoring, was a classic. Had Cogar not tried an ill-advised headlock, he might well have won. Barlow has also performed well in open action while waiting for Porter to graduate. He takes over. This should be a very solid lineup that can strongly challenge for a second straight MAC title.

It's really a shame that Kent doesn't wrestle tOSU this year. It would have been a very good match. Kent would have been favored at 125, 133 and 197 (slight edge). Ohio State would seem to have an obvious edge at 141, 165 and 174 and have been lighter favorites at 149, 184, 285 and 157. Still, if this match is held at Kent, you'd have had a sell out crowd watching what could have been a fantastic dual. It's a loss for fans throughout the state.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on October 13, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 13, 2009

Hank,

Thanks for giving a very deserving Kent State program their props. I agree. Andrassy and his staff have done a great job rebuilding. They finished in the top twenty at the NCAA tournament last year and were the MAC dual champions (over CMU, which is huge).

I don't think Andrassy's comments about the OSU/KSU dual affected Tom Ryan at all. I'd love for the dual to happen, too, but it is what it is.

125: Bedelyon had an amazing run to an All-America finish last season.
133: Mitcheff has been knocking on the door for two years now. I'd certainly say that he is in the hunt for an All-America spot.
141: Skonieczny is one who I've heard a lot of great things about in reports from the room. While this will be his first action on college mats, he might surprise.
149: Cathell is definitely an All-America candidate and a huge transfer for the Golden Flashes.
157: Shuster, a Pennsylvania state champion, had an excellent redshirt season last year. Expect good things from him.
165: Simpson, who transferred from North Carolina State two years ago, did a good job here last season.
174: Estep is definitely improving but will be in a difficult situation as this weight class in the MAC is led by none other than returning NCAA champion Mike Miller (a Uniontown Lake 2005 alum) which leaves a narrow window for qualification.
184: Kilgore was awesome last year. I'd be very surprised if he isn't an All-American this time around.
197: Cogar and Witt both had a lot of success in their redshirt seasons. The Golden Flashes have a great "problem" to have with their decision here.
285: Barlow has big shoes to fill (literally and figuratively) in taking over for All-American Jermail Porter. All results indicate that he can and will do it.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on October 13, 2009

Small correction... Mike Miller is the returning finalist, but should be ranked #1 coming into the season. Regardless, he's the MAC favorite.

I thought I remember seeing on a Flo video somewhere that Witt was considering dropping down into the 174/184 range. Maybe I just made that up... did anyone else see it?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 13, 2009

Oops! Yeah, I meant Miller is a returning NCAA runner-up, not champ.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 13, 2009

I believe Schuster had a win over Nemec last year in open competition.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 13, 2009

This KSU team is very solid. They're red shirts and non varsity wrestlers competed a TON last season. This is invaluable to program depth and future success.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 13, 2009

I agree this team could be very good. They return some proven top level talent like Bedlyon, Kilgore, Mitcheff, and the transfer Cathell. They also have a number of guys who should be able to step in and be competetive immediately like Schuster, Kogar, and Barlow. A tough team with balance accross their lineup.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on October 15, 2009

I think this is Kent strongest squad in a loooong time! Also isn't Whitt going down to 74, if so you better kiss the baby!

► Add to the Discussion