Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Garcia Picks Buckeyes!
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Big comeback for Ryan's recruiting. Like I've always said...you've got to scour the nation--not just stay at home ;)

http://www.goskagit.com/home/article/decision_day/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Really good article by Kevin Schlosser on Derek Garcia. Sounds as if Garcia verballed at least a week ago but waited to make the announcement. Buckeyes did a good job keeping his decision under wraps.

Link to article: http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/25823

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

THIS IS HUGE!!!!!!!! (That was supposed to be 12 million font size!)

I JUST posted on the other tOSU thread that I'd love to get this guy! WOW!!!!! tNDG is THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like Jessie Spano and I want to scream I'm so excited! I'm so excited!!!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Hank,
and like ive been saying to the naysayers-- esp on another ohio forum where they are more plentiful-- WAIT until November before closing the casket.

btw, in October issue that already went to print, Garcia is AWN # 1 at 160. s/BobP

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Wow, no commits in over a year and all of the sudden there are 2 great ones in 2 days. I like it!

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Bob is tOSU looking at anyone else? What happened with Evans?
Oh yeah Kevin great article as usual!

Well, it's been a strange situation for the Buckeyes. They got a verbal from #1 Stieber over a year ago (I think...old man brain cells don't work so well). They had a great season with second #2 finish. And then it seemed they couldn't land anyone they wanted. They were left at the altar by Kindig. Peppelman picked Cornell. Plus, the David Taylor saga played out--he's going to ISU, now he's available, now he's going to Penn State. Then Jamie Clark picked the Illini. Suddenly Nick Sulzer looked terrific but it was too late to get him. On and on. Was Logan Stieber going to comprise a class of 1?

Now, the Bucks get a great talent in Demas and a Sponseller-type competitor in Garcia. A roller coaster recruiting season that dipped precipitously has abruptly risen. And Ohio State remains relevant to the discussion of which programs are poised to challenge for national titles. No guarantees of course...we've been spoiled by Jags, J.D., Iron Mike and Reece. But at least we can look at the roster and feel that enough studs have arrived to continue this great run of success.

"They were left at the altar by Kindig. Peppelman picked Cornell. Plus, the David Taylor saga played out--he's going to ISU, now he's available, now he's going to Penn State. Then Jamie Clark picked the Illini."
--------------------------------------------

Hank,
and ohio st took 2nd in the race for Jordan Oliver & Alex Meade, Tom Ryan was overdue for a break and it came in spades. -- however Ryan was doing great job even though he kept finishing 2nd on some studs, but he was always in the game and always trying very hard.

what sense would it be to give up on a coaching staff who brought us 2 straight NCAA runnerup team finishes? some people just love to be negative, almost always under an "alias". U can read their babble every day. And when they are wrong, which is often, the aliases never return to admit it.

i think buckeyes add to this class still, no more big names but not done yet. s/BobP

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

"some people just love to be negative, almost always under an "alias". U can read their babble every day. And when they are wrong, which is often, the aliases never return to admit it."

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"When I'm wrong (which is often), I say it. Stieber, Garcia and Demas all in the early signing period is a very nice class, by far Coach Ryan's best...and who knows who they'll pick up from now through November and then after the season. It only gets better from here. I'm very happy for all you Ohio State fans. These are the types of classes you should expect from a program like Ohio State. From everything I've heard Garcia is a freak talent, with an eye on international competition. It will be interesting to see how he fits into the line-up; if he builds up to 174, is he your starter next year or does he red-shirt behind Sponseller at 165?

So anywhay, congrats to Ohio State and to Coach Ryan on three great wrestlers in the early signing period."

Bob: you make good points. I can only offer this defense. I suffer from Cleveland Sports Fan syndrome. I'm used to lousy teams. And when they're good, something always goes wrong. Hence my panic. I think my defense is viable.

Here's another nugget worth discussing. Where does Chris Phillips fit in? If you're Ohio State, do you go all out to get him? Or do Demas (174-184) and Garcia (165-174) plus Heflin make him less important?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Here's another nugget worth discussing. Where does Chris Phillips fit in? If you're Ohio State, do you go all out to get him? Or do Demas (174-184) and Garcia (165-174) plus Heflin make him less important?"

No, they go after him extremely hard.

Brady: I agree with you. I think he's so good that you can't not make him a top priority.

yes they go hard after Chris Phillips, too good, have to want him-- can outslick yourself trying to figure who will be at what wt. Get the great wrestlers and let them work it out, BUT that 165 & 174 area no longer a critical need. Jameson & Heflin in the mix too.

i think Ryan has learned the hard way, u don't wait around for the future maybes, if u can get a great prospect NOW u do it. ---If u want to be a buckeye u got to make it known loud & clear & asap.

(i got ur point MikeR. --- Its the "aliases" that get my goat the most. Ohio st has alot of subway alumni, hanger-on aliases. They drift with the wind.)

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Garcia vs Alex Ortiz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeqzgFP4DiM

Garcia vs Michael Mangrum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP3-HuIOnlI

Garcia vs Joey Fio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrRj3lhP4OQ

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Bob: How big is Jameson?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next