Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Phillips vs. Ruth match is up!
Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/play/203198-171lbs-ed-ruth-vs-chris-phillips-walsh-ironaman-12708

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

jmho

this is an objective assessment

Ruth is well coached, he downblocked and squared up his hips everytime Phillips shot. He wrestles a college style that emphasizes defensive/counter wrestling. His leverage coupled with his defensive skills provided the ability to defend the outside carry. In essence, he took away Phillip's primary offensive move.

The pace seemed to frustrate or lull Chris into complacency which resulted in him being flatfooted and motionless in the 3rd when Ruth scored the go ahead takedown. That is part of Ruth's style as he will stay in position for the whole match and make safe attacks while waiting for his opponent to make mistakes.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

"That is part of Ruth's style as he will stay in position for the whole match and make safe attacks while waiting for his opponent to make mistakes"
--------------------------

Rex, yes, exactly Blair's style, alot of handfighting and tie ups, patient wrestling on their feet, then a hi crotch usually. On top they are tenacious with the cross leg Turk and chicken wing. U don't get out often.

two who were absolutely STUNNED when they walked in at Ironman & saw that Chris Phillips had lost in the 10 AM Saturday quarterfinals ---the best round in high school wrestling imo--- were Brian Brakeman and Justin Kerr of ohiowrsite.net I've only seen Brakeman that stunned twice, the other when Brent Metcalf beat Dustin Schlatter at Medina.

Brakeman may not have seen great wrestling outside Ohio, if so he doesnt realize what all is out here, its a BIG country.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Early in the first period, Ruth shoots, Phillips sprawls and then executes flawless technique on a front head go behind. Ruth just muscles his way out of it. That's serious power.

You can't coach that type of strength. Phillips was the aggressor all match but Ruth had the horse power and great defense necessary to win.

If this proves to be Phillips only loss, it's not as if he wasn't wrestling hard. He just got beat by a freakishly strong, well balanced stud.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Hank-

Something that always stuck with me from my time at ASU and Coach Bobby Douglas was that every body trains to be good for the first part of the match but the champion figures out a way to win at the end.

My interpretation is that everyone can maintain position for awhile i.e. maintain stance, fight off attacks, creates attacks, but as the match progresses it becomes increasingly more difficult to do so due to a lactic acid build up and consequent mental and physical fatigue. That match illustrates it to me. Phillips went hard from the whistle and had a small lapse in the 3rd on which his opponent capitalized

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Ruth reminds me of Joe Williams. Same body type. Same explosiveness. He lulls people to sleep and then explodes right through them.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Rex: I view wrestling through the prism of a former hs coach. You see things from the perspective of a national champion. That difference is reflected in our comments. I feel fortunate to have the chance to get your perspective. Thanks for adding to my knowledge.

Mike: Good comparison.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

they key was, i think the word i used was "Patience", that is Blair's style, a College style.

Phillips initiated the action for over 2 periods, but Ruth frustrated Phillips with patience, tieups and great scrambling ability. Phillips had not faced that before in high school. As Rex says, by period 3 the match had tipped to Ruth's favor.

credit coach Jeff Buxton, The Master.

(Ruth not built quite like Joe Williams who i saw in high school. Williams built more like super big muscular John Weakely or Ryan Kirst in high school-- Ruth muscular but longer, leaner, maybe quicker.)

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Hank-

Just picking it apart and trying to offer a more detailed explanation.

Going a little stir crazy as I have had the flu and have not got out of the house much.

► Add to the Discussion