Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Discussion Topic: Big News for Buckeye Fans
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Mark-

Where are you guys getting on the old footage?"

Well, after we raided the old man's cupboard, we headed up to Brian Brakeman's house. Yeah, another restraining order for sure!

Just razzin'. Michael Rodriguez has some old Cable 9 productions and he's handed them (incrementally) to me. Scott Nicola said he also has some old stuff as well.

What it stems from is really never letting go of the VHS tapes, or in some cases, BETA!!! (But I currently do have the capability to do anything with BETA.)

Let me know if you have any special requests...scratch that. Let them know if you have any special requests! They will, in turn and if possible, hand the desired tapes over.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

Rex...I've got broadcasts of the Ohio State tournament from 1986 through 1995. It's Northeast Ohio biased, but it does feature wrestlers from all Divisions and from around the state. I have a few Medina Tournaments as well: 1989 and 1990, maybe '86 and then maybe '94. Mark has already had Mentor from '91 and Medina from that year also. I don't know if he uploaded all the matches or just Vaughn/Gustovitch, Dernlan/Marchette and Musser/Grove. There are some other starts on that tapes as well. Nathanson was already mentioned, Chad Gron, Rich Hepp, Juggy Franklin, Eddie Jayne, Steve St. John, Roger Chandler and that's just at Mentor. Chandler/Franklin, LeeMaster/Dobosh, Foston/Wright, Plouse/Ramsey, Mollica/King, Poehler/Edmunds.

I can't remember what I gave Mark last week, but I know one of them was 1988, so (a guy who may be in that 103 coverstion) Dante Smith started things off, 112 was Tom Manning (over Russo), 119 was Neikirk (over Ohl), 125 was Billy Kopp (over Atienza), 130 Chad Cline (over Sasso), 135 has already been posted - Alan fried (over Robbins), 140 Brett Atkins (over Gregan), 145 was Aaron Moran, then the Joe Collins/Robert Taylor bout, 160 Marty Collins, I can't remember who was at 171, but I think I would remember if it was Buddie/DelRosa, Holman/Lewis (with that sweet Jap-wizz) at 189 and then Frimel over Lahr at heavyweight.

Some of the matches that I know have off hand are: (from '86) Minadeo/Elsass, David Range/Kuntz, Jack Deboe/Barron, Guy Palker/Joe Adrassy, Brian Kosla/Dunyasha Yetts, Mark Kerr/Joe Bryan.

(from '87) Zapadka/Zamiska, Cianciola/Nero, Fried/Pattie, Hanson/Bonaventura, Skelton/McClellan, GT Taylor/Steve Buddie

Come to think of it, there are way too many to list. Like Mark said, if anyone wants to see anything specific, post it and I'll see if I have it. If I do, I'll get it to Mark and he can work his magic. I'd love to see more of this stuff online. If anyone else has tapes of good matches, try to get them on youtube or Gohio. How great would it be to have "The Vault" at GOhio be a library of Ohio high school matches?

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"BETA!!! (But I currently do have the capability to do anything with BETA.)"

Is that true??? If it is, we need to have a conversation.

Scott...What do you have?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

Michael:

"GT Taylor/Steve Buddie" would be nice. With all the talk that has been going on about this might be nice to see it (again). Thanks.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

Mike-

You have some vintage stuff. That would be great if GOhiocasts becomes the vault. I find myself watching some of the old matches as they are interesting for one reason or another. If my memory serves me, I hit a Metzger in the finals that year but I don't remember a jap whizzer. I only know one person that can probably match you on 80s and 90s wrestling knowledge and he goes by the name Mathew Stout Esq. I would like for him to weigh in on the lightweights but by his own admission he would spend way too much time on these message boards.

Mark-

Do you have any footage from the Fort Carson Open in '98. I remember seeing you there and you were videorecording. Thank you for taking the time to upload all the videos.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

I don't have nearly the collection you have Mike. I was going through some old tapes and found a couple of Medina tapes (in addition to my own medieocre wrestling tapes). I not sure b/c I don't currently have a VCR hooked up but I think Neider vs. Gary as well as Musser and Johnson dominating guys in the finals.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

As far as request go, anything from the late 80's to mid 90's NE Ohio would be great. Fried, Buddie, Genovese, Juggy Franklin, Slates, Pariano, Nathanson, and Vaughn are a good place to start. The dominant Walsh and Coventry teams of the mid 90's might be cool too. If anyone has the Musser vs. McGhee final at Bill Dies you got to get that up. Some Chad Owens matches anyone?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

Roe...I'll get that '87 tape to Mark, it's a good one. GT, Rex's junior year, Fried/Pattie are the highlights.

Rex...The Landolpho/Collins match you asked about is on there too. On a side note, I can't imagine being so good that I don't remember hitting a jap-whizzer in a State final. Unless I have my terminology all mixed up, I believe it was late in the match, for two. It was actually featured in the intro of the broadcasts for the following season. I've heard from others that Stout knows his 80/90s wrestling trivia. We've never talked, but I'm sure it would be fun. Coincidentally, I have his 1989 battle with Gary Difine as well.

Scott...I think I have that Medina as well, when Neider bumped up for Gary, although I'm not sure on that one. As far as the guys you mentioned, I know I have Tony Pariano's junior ans senior year titles, I've got Genovese over Robbins in '89 and a Genovese over Hepp in a great Medina final the next year (14-18, I think). Juggy Franklin at Districts (as a sophomore?) and in the State fianls as a senior in '93. I've got Brian Slates (one of my personal favorite wrestlers) over Scott Bowers in their '89 finals match and I have both of Vaughn's titles (the one over Musser is excellent).

I'm not particularly computer savy, but I'm starting to think it may be easier (on Mark) if he just walks me throught the process of how to get this stuff online and then I start putting them on myself instead of saddling him with the duities. I mean, how complicated could it be? Unless it's a question of equipment? Mark, give me a call or shoot me a PM, or we'll just talk up at Open mats on Tuesday.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on October 16, 2009

Marchette vs Billman or Snyder vs Nakamura or Lenhard vs Ott, anyone?

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on October 16, 2009

I remember watching the McGhee vs Pat Knaze in 95. Classic battle that had John battling from beginning to end. That would be another good one to see.
I remember talking to Jeff Jordan, when I was at a camp at his house, about his 4 state titles. He told us he easily could have been DQed in one of those finals because he was knocked out cold during one of them (sophomore year...I think) and only because of an official "looking the other way" was he allowed to continue. That would be a cool one to see as well.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10