Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: Big News for Buckeye Fans
Bill Splete added to this discussion on October 11, 2009

Mike,

I remeber Elsas and his hair. great mid eighties hair and probably should be considered. The guy was tough and did handle Jason. Who was also a tough dude and competed at Tenn Chatt. while Elsas went to CSU.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason Johnstone added to this discussion on October 11, 2009

Bob- I don't know what question you are asking, but the Dustin match was a good one...one of the better memories of my wrestling career, the best part about it was that we were good friends before the match and became even better friends after the match. The goal was to beat him, but in the finals and we all know how bad i ended up choking in the finals haha (and then beat preston something like 8-1 for 3rd the following weekend).

Like I said before, I wont talk about my feelings about current wrestlers even though I really doubt metcalf would care what I think. I think everyone knowing I'm a buckeye and the fact that I despise Iowa should say enough.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 11, 2009

Alright this thread seems to have gone several different directions so I'll give my all time team. Here is my criteria:
1. Guys I've watched personally (I started watching wrestling in 1989).
2. Based on the level they attained while in high school. Future accomplishments were not considered.
3. Guys can on be on the list at one weight.

103: David Taylor (Sophmore) - Wins over Stieber, Clark, White, and Robinson to name a few. Obviously, many guys that started at this weight could have an argument.
112: Kyle Ott (Senior) - Probably the quickest human ever prior to multiple knee surgeries.
119: Eddie Jayne (Senior) - I had some trouble here but went with dominant 3xer Jayne. State finals his senior year versus freshman sensation Marchette was one for the ages.
125: Logan Stieber (Junior) - As if his dominant 3 state titles aren't enough his sucess on the senior level solidifies this pick.
130: Harry Lester (Senior) - I'm pretty sure this was Harry's weight his senior year.
135: J Jaggers (Senior) - Amazing run at senior nationals put him ahead of Lang and Taylor.
140: Alan Fried (Senior) - The greatest high school wrestler I had ever seen before I saw Dustin Schlatter.
145: Dustin Schlatter (Senior) - The greatest high school wrestler I've ever seen.
152: C.P. Schlatter (Senior) - Based on high school C.P. is the guy. Obviously guys like Heskett and Bertin have better college credentials.
160: Steve Luke (Senior) - See above several pages of discussion.
171: Marcus Mollica (Senior) - Fantastic as a senior. I thought about Nieder (bumping up and beating 2xer Anthony Gary at 189 was ballsy).
189: Mike Buddie (Senior) - This was a tough one to call. I was little too young to have watched Holman in high school and Bergman and Pliev certainly got consideration. In the end it was Buddie's style and dominance.
215: Tommy Rowlands (Senior) - Ohio has had some great ones since this weight began (Villers, Dennis, Koz) but this is a no-brainer.
285: Luke Fickell (Senior) - It's almost become cliche we've talked about it so much but nobody comes close in my mind.

Alright, let me have it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 12, 2009

Scott: You took all the fun out of it. You made great selections but the best part is not the answer but the discussion. Let's go back to 103.

Akron Coventry had a two time champ named Shawn Adkins in 1996-97. This kid was the most physical lt wt I've ever seen. I don't know that he beats an Ott, Taylor, McFarland, etc... But he headlocked everyone that stepped on the mat...and they knew it was coming. He was a bad hombre.

Dane Tussell was another physical mauler. I saw him wrestle when he was 14 and he was untouchable. I think he actually peaked at that time. Still very good in high school and he went on to wrestle for a while at Ohio State. He and McFarland met in a dual when both were college frosh and tied 9-9. What a match that must have been!

Bill Splete added to this discussion on October 12, 2009

Scott,

great list, and I only have two weight classes that I may not agree with. I think your list is great but because of the time frame leaves out heffernan, elisnsky, and those types. Alot of these guys are good but still.

The only real disagreement is with Buddie, he is probably the best athlete I have ever played against in high school, and i played with howard and grbac, by the way first team all-ohio in highschool, tute tute. Anyway, as far as wrestling he is the second best of all time at this weight. You have to look at the competition when rex was there, gt taylor, genevesse, these are beasts in there own right and state champs. Mike's comp. was no were near the same, i love mike, but it's just not the same. He is our thorpe,

The second is with mollica, no comp. He is very good, but scavuzzo in highschool was much bigger and I don't know how he would have handled that comp. When we look at his accomplishments he should be there. but number one at 171 i personally believe you should put buddie at and rex at 189, great list love the effort. but please don't forget the guys that started ohio's great run in the late 70's and 80's.

As for 98,103,105: Were does tim dernlan fit, I just think the kid at his level at his time may have strengh over mcfarland, because of the training methods,

Right now I go:

1. Tim Derlan
2. Joe Mcfarland
3. ?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 12, 2009

For all of you history buffs, this is a great resource... http://www.ohiowrestling.net/history/

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 12, 2009

"Incidentally, no one has yet brought up one great 103 pounder that won two state titles." ----Hank, yes i did, Tomazz Wilson of Toledo Woodward 1994 & 95.

at 103 and 112 we got to allow discussion of freshman and soph, esp 103. Doing the national rankings every year for AWN i have noticed most top 10 kids at 103 are freshman or sophs.

Solution: u can list a kid no matter how old-- fresh, soph, jr, or senior take your pick-- but can list SAME kid ONLY ONCE at his best wt, in most cases thats his senior wt but not in all cases. ----Try to list each kid only once. Case closed.

"Akron Coventry had a two time champ named Shawn Adkins in 1996-97. This kid was the most physical lt wt I've ever seen." ----- Hank, yes he was but i saw Mike Kulczyki beat him soundly in a dual meet.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 12, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""Incidentally, no one has yet brought up one great 103 pounder that won two state titles." ----Hank, yes I did, Tomazz Wilson of Toledo Woodward 1994 & 95.

at 103 and 112 we got to allow discussion of freshman and soph, esp 103. Doing the national rankings every year for AWN I have noticed most top 10 kids at 103 are freshman or sophs.

Solution: u can list a kid no matter how old-- fresh, soph, jr, or senior take your pick-- but can list SAME kid ONLY ONCE at his best wt, in most cases thats his senior wt but not in all cases. ----Try to list each kid only once. Case closed."

As did I. Ron Angelo won 103 and then 98, both the lightest weight class in his respective junior and senior years. And again, when there was only one division.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 12, 2009

I think it's safe to put Dernlan (sophomore), Taylor (sophomore) at the top of the list. One guy to consider is David Range. As a senior 105-pounder and a great pure athlete, he would have been significantly stronger and probably a little quicker then anyone mentioned so far. The fact that he was able to compete at the Big Ten level at 118 while still being that same size (he made 105 for international style while in college) speaks to his skills. I don't think he's the best guy, but if all these names were in one bracket, he's going to win some matches.

Bill...I was waiting for someone to mention Scavuzzo. 2nd, 1st, 1st...the last two years undefeated at 171. I always wondered if he was on your radar. I know you were on his. In the '89 breakman it mentioned that Mike Atkins (Olmested Falls) had beaten you and that let Scavuzzo know he was in for a dogfight at Districts and he knew that Atkins would likely be his State finals opponent as well. Both things ened up being true. It's that kind of guy that makes these discussions and lists so great. Was he the best 171 ever? Probably not. But for those who saw him, it's hard to imagine someone much better.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 12, 2009

Here's another hypothetical question for another day. If you take John McGhee and put him in a bracket with the other top 15 guys selected at this weight class, is he likely to come out on top? Would anyone actually approach 50% likely? My only picks at 50% or above would be David Taylor, Dustin Schlatter and Alan Fried.

talking 171 Sam NEIDER of st Eds a great candidate, his senior year won NHSCA tourn in Pittsburgh, thats when sr nationals was really something.

Neider in 1994 and Heskett are the ONLY two ever in Ohio, as far as i know, to PIN their way thru sectional, district and state tourn in the same year.

Neider was so so very physical.

Mike,

That match hurt because i felt like I didn't show up and he did, and it didn't go well for me He actually is a good guy, and I was never a 171, those guys were legite 171 I don't think I was. I never wrestled Scavuzzo and either did Brett for North olmsted who worked Atkins. Actually was invited to wrestle him in an allstar match and declined, I stood next to him at the state tourney and to this day could not believe we were within 20 pounds of each other, The guy was huge, and I was a 158 in college. Not a good idea to wrestle him. I was lazy in school not necessarily dumb.

I have to find out more this week about those other guys, and maybe catch some video. By Friday, I should have my top three.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 12, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"talking 171 Sam NEIDER of st Eds a great candidate, his senior year won NHSCA tourn in Pittsburgh, thats when sr nationals was really something.

Neider in 1994 and Heskett are the ONLY two ever in Ohio, as far as I know, to PIN their way thru sectional, district and state tourn in the same year.

Neider was so so very physical."

I don't know if you caught it Bob, but I gave props to Neider in my earlier post. That guy was an animal.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next