Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: Big News for Buckeye Fans
Jason Johnstone added to this discussion on October 6, 2009

I wasn't going to say anything, and was going wait until it came out on InterMat to disclose the information, but Josh Demas's father Lou posted on JJhuddle that Josh has verbally committed to The Ohio State University!
Congrats to a great kid and his family!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 6, 2009

Thanks Jason. Excellent acquisition. Go Bucks.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 6, 2009

If you've never met him, let me tell you that he's a great young man, and he has almost limitless potential on the mat. He's got the kid of quickness and instincts that you can't teach and the kind of work ethic and class that a good family does teach. Great signing for Ohio State.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 6, 2009

i havent seen that much of Demas lately, except state finals, let me ask those who have---- will Demas beat Sulzer the next time they meet which could be at IRONMAN ?? who wins??

Sulzer has wrestled competitively alot and had a great "off-season" since state tourn: won NHSCA juniors in VA Beach--- 5th in fargo at jr nationals freestyle--- went 9 & 1 at Disney duals with only a one point loss to the great Marshall Peppelman.

While i don't believe Demas has wrestled competitively since state tourn in early March; meaning not anywhere with tough national comp where u win or lose, place or don't place.

what do the experts who know both wrestlers think ? who will win if they meet in IRONMAN ??

Steve Lester added to this discussion on October 6, 2009

O H

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 6, 2009

Bob...As I'm sure you know, they wrestled two times last season.
The first was the Medina final where Sulzer won in the final OT period because Demas was unaware that it was sudden death (he kicked 'em out). The second was the State finals, another tight battle where a close takedown call decided the bout late in the third. I would suspect that little has changed and that any matches they have this season would be just as close and could go either way. When two wrestlers are this good and this evenly matched (with vastly contrasting styles), it's almost impossible to predict a bout's outcome. They split last year and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they split again this year.

I will say this, when you watch their matches, it's clear that Sulzer is trying to slow the bout down, control Demas' unreal speed and physical gifts. While that stratigy can be very effective, I think the more aggressive wrestler will learn to adapt and be more effective the more times they wrestle. I think that Sulzer is the more polished wrestler right now, but Demas has much more upside at the next level.

Here's their state finals bout:

http://www.gohiocasts.com/video/main/show/id/160066-D1-FINAL-152-Josh-Demas-Westerville-North-VS-Nick-Sulzer-St.-Edward

You can really see, particularly early in how Demas wants an up-tempo bout and Sulzer wants work some front headlock and slow the pace. After watching it again, I'm not so sure I would have made that takedown call late.

BTW, I know I've been critical of Coach Ryan's in-State recruiting, particularly when the Sulzer signing came out. This signing negates that criticism. As you have said, you can't get them all. Just like you don't need Ty Mitch if you have Stieber, you don't need Sulzer if you have Demas. However, you still needed Clark:)

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 6, 2009

A couple thoughts, Sulzer is doing everything right to improve, and excel. He is on every coaches radar due to his productive summer season. What he has done is significant because it proves that he is a workhorse that is willing and able to dedicate to wrestling full time. This is a significant success trait that not every high school stud is willing or able to endure. What he did this summer speaks of his toughness.

Demas on the other hand has not pushed or been pushed in the off season to compete in a like manner. I am going off what BP said regarding offseason competition. He does get excellent coaching and MR acknowledges his personability and character. Basically, he is largely untapped as a recruit as he does contain the athleticism as witnessed by last year's record. What remains to be seen is what will happen when introduced to a higher level of intensity on a daily basis. I believe he has the athleticism and evenness to weather the storm of adjusting to collegiate wrestling. At the collegiate level, there is more effort to to bring about success in the individual today. It is not as much a survival of the fittest mentality amongst coaches. Also, he seems like a natural wrestler, put on this earth to wrestle.

I won't comment on outcome as both are excellent and deserve props for their efforts in wrestling.

good analysis guys--- yes Demas appears to have the physical gifts, i know buckeyes coaches like him alot, i do too.

Sulzer is obviously very HUNGRY---- as good as Sulzer is he has been at state 2, 3, 2 -- now he has PROVEN himself vs top NATIONAL comp, thats a different game. IRONMAN will feature some of that comp & pressure.

bottom line, who was best last March doesnt tell us who would win today. HS kids grow and develop fast sometimes, the kid who works hardest can make leaps. (----btw, Tom Brands asked about Sulzer in fargo.)

more opinions, who would win at IRONMAN and why u think so ?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 6, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"good analysis guys--- yes Demas appears to have the physical gifts, I know buckeyes coaches like him alot, I do too.

Sulzer is obviously very HUNGRY---- as good as Sulzer is he has been at state 2, 3, 2 -- now he has PROVEN himself vs top NATIONAL comp, thats a different game. IRONMAN will feature some of that comp & pressure.

bottom line, who was best last March doesnt tell us who would win today. HS kids grow and develop fast sometimes, the kid who works hardest can make leaps. (----btw, Tom Brands asked about Sulzer in fargo.)

more opinions, who would win at IRONMAN and why u think so ?"

Bob, why the obsession with Ironman? (no need to shout it)

Is them meeting at Ironman (again, no need to shoult it) different than if they were to wrestle anywhere else?

By the way, no need to answer. That was a rhetorical question.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 6, 2009

As a Buckeye wrestling fan I can only say....Whew!

Demas became a necessity after Kindig and Peppelman made other plans. Also, as I have said in the past...his upside is huge. He has tremendous physical talent and seems to truly love to compete.

Stieber and Demas comprise a solid recruiting class. Add some guys with upside (Brad Squire leaps to mind) and the Bucks will be OK.

Thanks to Jason Johnstone for letting us know.

One other thing. The Buckeyes had tremendous competition for Demas but ultimately he chose Ohio State. Lesson that needs to be learned by the Ohio State staff--you have the inside track on the best Ohio guys. Too many kids have gone elsewhere while you pined after the very best from out of state. Stick with the top three in Ohio each senior class and you'll do better in the long run. At least that's my opinion (with the value of hindsight).

GS,
IRONMAN is the next event both are entered in (unless both are going to Super 32 or Oklahoma Open). Also there will be other real good wrestlers in that 160 wt there which makes it interesting. ---but u know that.

i'm asking for intelligent responses and i get your usual type stuff not related to the question. Same ole same ole.

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on October 6, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"good analysis guys--- yes Demas appears to have the physical gifts, I know buckeyes coaches like him alot, I do too.

more opinions, who would win at IRONMAN and why u think so ?"

Bob, why the obsession with Ironman? (no need to shout it)

Is them meeting at Ironman (again, no need to shoult it) different than if they were to wrestle anywhere else?

By the way, no need to answer. That was a rhetorical question."

isn't this supposed to be the place where we all get along for the good of the sport? You can tell those on here that love to bring the negativity ( like the ridiculous thread about that great David Taylor documentary and comparing him to Lebron etc).. The Ironman is germane to this discussion Mr Sommers. That will be the place these two meet up UNLESS they get knocked off by one of the many talented entrants in the meatgrinder that is the nations best high school tournament.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on October 6, 2009

I have thought about the match since I saw it, and if sulzer comes off the mat with the leg and doesn't allow himself to get in that type of scramble he wins. The way kids counter leg attacks, you can't sit on the mat, and it cost him a state championship. I hear alot of comments about talent and explosiveness about demas, which he clearly has. With sulzer's drive, which he clearly has, and as much talent as demas, who has paid the price and and is trying to jump levels. This is the real world and in it we take sides, win or lose right or wrong, and I would have to go with sulzer. This is in no way a knock on demas, i could be wrong about his training and it is up to him to prove it. This will be a good one. I love this talk, these kids bust there buts and should be regonized for it, remeber we are talking about two competitive kids who deserve then respect, but i have always said sit on the fence and some one will come by an knock you off it, so pick a side. Don't make it personal and always give the respect to the other guy.

As a side note it is great that they are both blue chippers and going to further there education and in that case they both have won.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Congrats to Tom Ryan and staff

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Derek Garcia of Washington announces late today, ohio st is very much in the running but they have serious comp. s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next