Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: Big News for Buckeye Fans
Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

Gary: I'm pretty certain you are correct. Central Iowa CC or something. Came in fourth nationally as a freshman. I was told he wrestled in a scrimmage/practice with Joe Williams of Iowa and lost about 6-2. Could be urban legend but came from a good source. Recently (a year or two ago) was named Coventry coach but only lasted a few months.

Absolutely the most exciting wrestler I ever saw. Hank described him perfectly. Never looked huge but upper body was always a possibiltiy. Had a way of getting the other wrestlers momentum working for him. Never lost his cool. Never seemed at risk the way Jameson was periodically.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason Johnstone added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

Mike,

I have vowed to never discuss current wrestlers on these forums and who I think would win/lose or anything of the sort. I sat here for years and listened to people bad mouth/praise kids. I've been there and know how it feels to read a post talking about how you are going to lose a wrestle-off, how you blew the dual, or what you should've done different. People don't understand that a lot of current wrestlers take things like that to heart and it eats at them. If you aren't in the room every day and aren't dealing with the every day grind of a high school or college wrestling season then you have no room to critique a wrestler IMO.

That being said, I will talk about Josh a bit. He is a great kid with a huge heart. For a kid who hasn't been wrestling since he was in third grade he is wise beyond his years. He understands positions and learns quicker than anyone I've ever watched/coached. He is certainly one of the best kids in the country in my opinion, and the difference between last march and right now is unbelievable. He is nowhere near his potential, but his desire to be the best will one day get him there. And no, the first time I wrestled Josh he was in eighth grade so I know that the duck is coming, but he has caught up and is getting a takedown here and there. The best thing about Josh is that I find myself trying not to get taken down as much as I find myself trying to score on him. I'm not going to make any predictions, he already knows what Coach Grant, Blake Maurer, and myself expect of him this year, but I will say that everyone should be ready for a show. (And I'm not worried about eating crow in this situtation.)

Bill Splete added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

Well we now know what Josh did this summer.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

Well said, Jason.

John Taylor added to this discussion on October 10, 2009

McGhee wrestled for Iowa Central Community College, probably the top Junior College in the country. He finished sixth in his freshman year (got hurt in the semi's and defaulted to sixth). He never competed again after that. There is no need to say why, but coaches there he was a great kid, he did however coach there for some time with them. I would have to give the best ever 160 to McGhee, just one guys opinion though. I think the way he wrestled he would of forced Luke into some crazy scrambling positions that he would not of been comfortable with. McGhee wins by 1.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 10, 2009

Jason: Since you were kind enough to post, I'd love to take the opportunity to ask you a few questions. If you choose not to address them, I'll understand.

1) Who was the toughest opponent you faced? I saw you wrestle guys like Gillespie, Poeta and C.P.. Was it one of them? Or someone else?

2) You spent your last two seasons at 157 pounds. Was that a weight at which you were comfortable? Would you have preferred to drop?

3) Outside of your Buckeye teammates, who do you think has been the best college wrestler in the nation over the last several years? Is there one person you can single out? Or are there several guys?

4) How does a college wrestler feel when a coach is recruiting other wrestlers around his weight class? Does it vary alot by individual? Or do most guys have the mindset that it's out of their hands and they don't worry about it?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 10, 2009

Hank,
i'll take your word i got the score wrong of McGhee vs Olson, since i cant find my records. (Those years i was on LSD must have taken their toll, dam that Timothy Leary he said it would enhance my brain.)
----------------------------------------

"and yes luke lost to king in his senior year at the dapper dan, but let's not start this debate...it was an all-star match. Brent Metcalf's record against Caldwell isn't 1-2...it's 0-2, if it doesn't show up in the official records then it doesn't count" -------

JJ,
first, call me Bob, i'm no Mr.
re your statement, it counts imo, esp since Steve Luke had to want to win it VERY badly given that the wrestlers themselves know very well who won the previous matches. And i had forgotten that loss to King in Dapper Dan: makes 2 at Beast, 1 at Powerade and Dapper Dan, thats 4 straight losses to Jared King.

but i've already long since agreed Steve Luke was terrific, i never said otherwise, i just favor McGhee. And yes i couldnt agree more, schedule counts.

Here's a true "Schedule Counts" story: when AWN did their senior AA team writeup, editor Ron Good asked me why Steve Luke, our first teamer had "so many losses". i told Ron Good "schedule, schedule, schedule".

Realize in states like Oklahoma where u got 32 --- yes 32-- teams in each class at state, that they don't understand great wrestlers can lose in the east --and in California where they have had ONE 4X state champ ever. I've been working on Ron for years, re this point, i tell him "Ron, in Ohio 32 teams is a sectional". s/BobP

Last edited by Bob Preusse on October 10, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 10, 2009

Bob, you have a great point. Oklahoma having 32 teams in an entire division seems way too small. One correction about Ohio, though. There are approximately 50 teams per district in Ohio, which means there are only about 12-13 teams per sectional.

Random fact of the day... the only four-timer in California history was Darrell Vasquez.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on October 10, 2009

I have enjoyed all the posts and it looks like Johnny gets the top spot. Seriously, a book that cronicles the history, of ohio wrestling, with all the crazy stories of why they made it and didn't would be an interesting read. Our state has a great history and we are only on one weight class. Monday let's start with 103 that made it to the college ranks as a successful wrestler, dave range, tim derlin. I say we do a weight class a week and on sunday, who ever is the oldest poster decides the winner.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 10, 2009

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"I have enjoyed all the posts and it looks like Johnny gets the top spot. Seriously, a book that cronicles the history, of ohio wrestling, with all the crazy stories of why they made it and didn't would be an interesting read. Our state has a great history and we are only on one weight class. Monday let's start with 103 that made it to the college ranks as a successful wrestler, dave range, tim derlin. I say we do a weight class a week and on sunday, who ever is the oldest poster decides the winner."

Great idea, but by starting with 103 you are clearly eliminating guys from the 60s and 70s in any discussions. I know most of you are younger than some of us, but wrestling did start before the current weight classes. :)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 10, 2009

98-103 would be a combo weight class.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on October 11, 2009

That's perfect, Hank you set the weight class combo's each week. Out of respect we should allow the guys with more experience(age) start the list. To be honest I like that becasue you guys have perspective of time and seem to be able to reference all the years. I hope that sounded okay. I look forward to Monday!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 11, 2009

i recommend 98-103-105 combined all together. Problem is the way wt classes have changed over the years we have to combine several to have a legit discussion.

with that in mind here's 2 great candidates for the top spot: JOE McFARLAND of N Olmsted, 98 lb champ in 1979 and 105 lb champ in 1980. 2X NCAA runnerup, also World freestyle silver medalist.

or this guy was maybe the best, 103 in both 1994 & 95, TOMAZZ WILSON from Toledo pinned Brent Thomspon of Walsh Jesuit in 94 and won a classic over Shawn Smith of Massillon Perry, 14-12, in 1995. i think Smith went on to either win or take 2nd at NHSCA Sr nationals.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 11, 2009

Bob...That State final with Wilson and Smith will be up on GOhio soon. It'is one of best state finals I've ever witnessed. Those of you who love the high scoring shoot-outs are in for a treat.

As far as the best wrestler at the introductory weight, I don't know. There's no doubt that many of the all time greats got their start doing damage at the introductory weight. A few names to consider: Mark Zimmer, Dane Tussel, both Jim and Jeff Jordan, Don Horning, Erik Burnett, Dan Hanson, Alan Fried, Shawn Nelson, Tim Dernlan, Kyle Ott, Ryan Lang, Joe Pflug, David Taylor and Logan Stieber.

I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few. These guys were all heavy hitters early in their careers and many ended up winning multiple state crowns and there are also a few eventual NCAA titles and several All American finishes in that group.

There's also a strong group of guys who took a little longer to realize their potential, but did begin at the introductory weight before moving up and dominating at high weights later in thier careers. Guys like Shawn Enright, Dan Carcelli and Josh zupancic come to mind.

These are all big names that ended up doing great things further down the line later in high school and into college, but as to which one was the best whlie at the introductory weight?...I think I would say Tim Dernlan as a sophomore, maybe Ott. Truly, I don't know. I feel like, unlike some of the other weights, a reasonable case can be made for several of these wrestlers.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 11, 2009

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"As far as the best wrestler at the introductory weight, I don't know. There's no doubt that many of the all time greats got their start doing damage at the introductory weight. A few names to consider: Mark Zimmer, Dane Tussel, both Jim and Jeff Jordan, Don Horning, Erik Burnett, Dan Hanson, Alan Fried, Shawn Nelson, Tim Dernlan, Kyle Ott, Ryan Lang, Joe Pflug, David Taylor and Logan Stieber.
"

Would you put the Schlatters on this list?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next