Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: Big News for Buckeye Fans
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Hank...That St. Joes team was lights out. Three in the finals in '89 and 90. I still can't believe Petche never won a state title. That guy was a beast. Also, don't forget about Chad Gron, 4th in '90 and then won it in '91.

Bill...First off, I totally agree that high school wrestlers today are more skilled but less physical then in our day. But (like Rex), I think you sell yourself short. 4X placers in the middle/upper weights just didn't happen back then, particularly in the big school Division.

I can imagine that bout might be hard to watch. Although I would think it would be easier now knowing how good Randleman turned out to be and also I would think that your run your senior year would take the sting off a bit. "Cruiser96" and I have been working together to get some of those old matches online. I have your senior year finals match on tape as well, I'll get it to "Cruiser" to get online.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Bob: I agree with you on McGhee. One of the most dominating wrestlers I've ever seen. Most of his matches were blowouts except for, I think, Becks from Lake Catholic and one other guy who he usually faced in districts on the way to states. I think it began with a W. . .Wenger?

Hank: Please don't let relevant facts get in the way of a good theory.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Hank you cherry-picker. What about this quote from the article:

"Originally planning on returning to the Olympic Training Center, his recruitment began this summer after Fargo."*

Or this one:

"I started to think about Ohio State when Tom Ryan sent me a Valentine's Day card last February."**

*Actual quote

**Total fabrication to mislead readers into thinking I am smarter than I am

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Roe: John Wervey, Kenston, was a tough nut for McGee. So was Pat Knaze, Fairview, who wrestled him at 152.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

I would go:
1.Luke
2.Mollica
3.Sponseller

Did Mollica have a loss to Hepp one of those years?

With regards to the earlier topic, I'll take Demas over Sulzer if they are at the same weight. It seems like it's being made out like Sulzer is training like Loudon Swain while Demas sits around eating cheetos. I'm sure both guys are training hard to win a state title. Coach Grant gets guys ready to go and Westerville North has a number of other good coaches in the room (including Johnstone). I think as Demas gets bigger and fills out he will be even more explosive.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

scott,

good point about demas, he might be living in the room. He must have the right attitude for ohio state. seriously, the room is tough now, i can't wait for a couple more years. they have some real horses.

as far as a list. I can't put marcus in the top three even though he probably should be, but I do believe hepp beat him in freestyle, but not 100% on that. My reason is simple but personal, the list is good, and would agree with Luke, I've watched closely and see a guy that has the defense for the international style, and the position to score. would love to see him attempt it.

by the way marcus is a great guy and think the world of him and his accomplishments, he deserves the praise but i don't sit on the fense with my likes and dislikes, it's not personal my old clouded of the past.

What a great weight class, it would be hard for these guys to walk through kevin randleman, guys the match was close and I have my personal opinion on who won, watch end, but guys this wrestler should be up in the top three. he derves that.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

good choices but i still take Johnny McGhee for high school 160, folkstyle, heres why---- its all part of the legend of Johnny McGhee:

....at NHSCA senior nationals, he fell behind Otto Olson-- later for a time ranked # 1 at U of Michgan-- Johnny FELL BEHIND like 9 or 10 to 1, but to Johnny it never rattled him, he was a point scoring machine. No Deficit Mattered, can u say that about any other wrestler ??? He beat Olson and by DECISION, not by pin !!!

....i was at a scrimmage at Coventry with Walsh Jesuit, it was the heyday of both schools talent-wise, mid 90s. NO ONE on Walsh team wanted to wrestle with Johnny McGhee, he threw everyone around the room ---and Walsh had Heskett, Knupp, et all.

....Coventry had a drill something like Ride the Bronco, different wrestlers would try to ride Johnny McGhee to no avail, with those HIPS from HELL no one could ride Johnny McGhee, that was perhaps his best position.

...he had 3 UNdefeated seasons in his 4 state title seasons, thats unusual. Also he is the ONLY Ohio wrestler to win 4 state titles ALL in the MIDDLE wts, not starting at 103 like many have.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

I remember McGhee well as I am from NE Ohio and a couple years older. If I'm not mistaken, John had a least one loss as a sophmore. I watched a senior Clint Musser beat a sophmore McGhee in the finals at Bill Dies. One of the most exciting matches I ever saw in person.

McGhee had 3 hs losses, all in his soph or junior year --- but i know they were all in SAME year, he must have fallen in love that year.

3 losses were to stud wrestlers, Musser, Schroeder from Aurora and a real good kid i think from Ravenna Southeast ?

can someone who knows clarify, what year and who the 3rd wrestler was ? im too lazy to look it up.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Mike: Yeah, but at the time Ryan landed his first class, Triggas was already a high freestyle placer in Fargo as well as a greco champ and a CA champ. Nemec had finished 3rd in Fargo including a win over Scott Winston in addition to 3 state finals appearances. Weakley was a state champ and double placer in Fargo. And Sponseller had just won a second state title and was considered by many to be the top senior in Ohio. Triggas went on the finish second at Sr Nationals(he should have won in finals) while Sponseller blew away the field in the same event.

Yes, Logan Stieber is the best recruit of the Coach Ryan era. But I don't really see Garcia--a Fargo champ-- as more special than Sponseller was at the time. And Demas? He's got some obvious talent but so did Weakley. (in fairness to Weakley, he's a really good kid but he had so much to overcome in terms of his background and family issues. Demas, by contrast, seems to have a stable home life--that makes a huge difference).

I hope you're right and that this class proves to be better than Ryan's first. Again, my only point is that Ryan's first class was spectacular at the time it was announced.

FWIW: The Buckeyes got a little lucky with Garcia. He was thought to be interested in heading to the OTC. Then when he decided to investigate colleges, Ohio State was not even initially in his plans. In fairness, Coach Ryan reached out to him, convinced him to visit and the kid fell in love with the program (Garcia is a devout Christian and evidently there's a strong religious undercurrent within the Buckeyes program). My point is that won't happen very often. Nick Sulzer was in Ohio and interested according to his brother's post. The Bucks chased Peppelman, ignored Sulzer until it was too late and were exceedingly fortunate to end up with Garcia. Coach Ryan made his own luck in this instance but there was still luck involved. I hope the Buckeyes will stay more focused on Ohio's best kids in the future. A Garcia type situation isn't likely to occur again.

I will now cease to be a buzz-kill. Enter Gary...."

Hey, how did I get dragged into this? :)

Though I will admit, I have NEVER seen the phrase "defending runner-up" before. Interesting, very interesting. :)

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"good choices but I still take Johnny McGhee for high school 160, folkstyle, heres why---- its all part of the legend of Johnny McGhee:

....at NHSCA senior nationals, he fell behind Otto Olson-- later for a time ranked # 1 at U of Michgan-- Johnny FELL BEHIND like 9 or 10 to 1, but to Johnny it never rattled him, he was a point scoring machine. No Deficit Mattered, can u say that about any other wrestler ??? He beat Olson and by DECISION, not by pin !!!

....I was at a scrimmage at Coventry with Walsh Jesuit, it was the heyday of both schools talent-wise, mid 90s. NO ONE on Walsh team wanted to wrestle with Johnny McGhee, he threw everyone around the room ---and Walsh had Heskett, Knupp, et all.

....Coventry had a drill something like Ride the Bronco, different wrestlers would try to ride Johnny McGhee to no avail, with those HIPS from HELL no one could ride Johnny McGhee, that was perhaps his best position.

...he had 3 UNdefeated seasons in his 4 state title seasons, thats unusual. Also he is the ONLY Ohio wrestler to win 4 state titles ALL in the MIDDLE wts, not starting at 103 like many have."

This is all so hard to say. Now how do you compare kids from an era with freshman wrestling varsity and three divisions to an era without freshmen and only one class?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

Had to have been Neal Bailey.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

I was in the clouds during Johnny M. time. he sounds like a monster, and on film very tough, but how was it in color. What happen to him and how did he do at the next level. One more tough guy from the late 80's who deserves mention. Marty collins, tough guy and I think a two timer. I really don't think the guys wrestle like that today. Take his brother joe, robert taylor. These guys were fighters, during a wrestling match, I can verify this, I wish I would have caught them my junior or senior year, i owe them some pay back. My head is still ringing.

"This is all so hard to say. Now how do you compare kids from an era with freshman wrestling varsity and three divisions to an era without freshmen and only one class?"
-------------------------------------

Gary S, we all know that, but as i already posted ohio has only had the 160 class since 1988. (And if was easy to say, we wouldnt be debating it.)

Bill S, as u admitted yes i'm geting feeling not everyone paid attention during Johnny McGhee era, and it was an ERA. The only ohio 4xer to win at all middle wts, started at 135 Div II, ended at 160 Div II. No one could ride him and he could roll up the points as fast as anyone ever in Ohio high school.

no "next level" for JohnnyM, college not in his plans. But we are talking ohio high school exploits here.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

Bill:

Think of McGhee as the polar opposite of Dustin Schlatter. Dustin was the ultimate technician who'd use pressure and movement to create openings that he'd exploit to perfection. McGhee was the ultimate scrambler/gambler. Key to his game was that he had incredible hips. He'd let you shoot and toy with you while you held his leg. He could shoot and finish almost at will. And if you made the mistake of getting caught upper body with him your only hope was to land softly. Bottom line: He was impossible to score on by his senior season. And he was dangerous in all positions.

Tony Jameson at his best was reminiscent of McGhee.

I heard McGhee had a learning disability although I'm not sure if it was fact or fiction. He ended up picking Cleve. State in what was arguably the last fleeting moment of glory in the career of Coach Bonacci. But I don't think he ever actually competed after high school. I do remember that the PD put McGhee choosing CSU on the front page of the sports section and that has not happened before or since.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next