Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: Big News for Buckeye Fans
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Garcia! That's like getting Peppelman. He would be huge...it would turn this into a monster recruiting class.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

What happened to Billy T? We wouldn't have to wait til he announces later, we would've known by yesterday!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

I would LOVE to see us land Garcia!

Now back to Demas... SWEEEEET!!! Can't wait to see him in scarlet and gray.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

I've never seen Demas wrestle in person, but from some of the videos I've watched, he looks like a great recruit. Still appears to be growing (into 174?) A good fit for the Bucks.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

from local newspaper in Washington:

Three-time defending state high school wrestling champion Derek Garcia will spend his college years at Ohio State University.

The Sedro-Woolley High School senior announced his plans Wednesday at the high school.

Ohio State is the defending NCAA Division I runner-up. The school returns seven NCAA qualifiers, including three all-Americans.

Kevin Schlosser added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Unlike Bob I was sworn to secrecy by Garcia so I have withheld my comments. I will offer an article with comments from Derek and his HS football and wrestling coaches for my silence:

Derek Garcia is a Buckeye

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/25823

Josh Demas is a Buckeye

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/25822

Last edited by Kevin Schlosser on October 7, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Steve Lester added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

- I O

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Kevin! Way to go!!! You, sir, are an amazing man!

...and Michael Rodriguez...please spare us the "Boy can you imagine how good this class COULD HAVE been!" ;-) ;-) ;-)

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Kevin! Way to go!!! You, sir, are an amazing man!

...and Michael Rodriguez...please spare us the "Boy can you imagine how good this class COULD HAVE been!" ;-) ;-) ;-)"

When I'm wrong (which is often), I say it. Stieber, Garcia and Demas all in the early signing period is a very nice class, by far Coach Ryan's best...and who knows who they'll pick up from now through November and then after the season. It only gets better from here. I'm very happy for all you Ohio State fans. These are the types of classes you should expect from a program like Ohio State. From everything I've heard Garcia is a freak talent, with an eye on international competition. It will be interesting to see how he fits into the line-up; if he builds up to 174, is he your starter next year or does he red-shirt behind Sponseller at 165?

So anywhay, congrats to Ohio State and to Coach Ryan on three great wrestlers in the early signing period.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Where's Gary or Ray Finckle?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 7, 2009

Mike:

By far Coach Ryan's best? I remember when they got Sponseller, Nemec, Triggas, Weakley and Touris. I hope this class does prove to be much better. But that group seemed spectacular at the time.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Hank...Stieber is ranked on the Senior Level and has dominated every match against high schoolers not named David Taylor. He beat AA Zack Sanders going into his junior year. Garcia just won Fargo with a double tech in the finals and will only grow in skills as he takes another summer at the OTC We're talking about heavy hitters here...IMO, those two alone will likely have as many AA finishes as Sponseller, Nemec, Triggas, Weakly and Touris combined. And that's not counting Demas or any of the wrestlers Coach Ryan and staff may pick up over the next several months.

Think about it, of that class you mentioned, none have reached AA status and only Sponseller looks poised to do so, and that's at the insanely difficult 165-pound class. I can't imagine a senario (barring injury) where Stieber and Garcia are begining their third year on the sqaud without an AA between them.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Mike: Yeah, but at the time Ryan landed his first class, Triggas was already a high freestyle placer in Fargo as well as a greco champ and a CA champ. Nemec had finished 3rd in Fargo including a win over Scott Winston in addition to 3 state finals appearances. Weakley was a state champ and double placer in Fargo. And Sponseller had just won a second state title and was considered by many to be the top senior in Ohio. Triggas went on the finish second at Sr Nationals(he should have won in finals) while Sponseller blew away the field in the same event.

Yes, Logan Stieber is the best recruit of the Coach Ryan era. But I don't really see Garcia--a Fargo champ-- as more special than Sponseller was at the time. And Demas? He's got some obvious talent but so did Weakley. (in fairness to Weakley, he's a really good kid but he had so much to overcome in terms of his background and family issues. Demas, by contrast, seems to have a stable home life--that makes a huge difference).

I hope you're right and that this class proves to be better than Ryan's first. Again, my only point is that Ryan's first class was spectacular at the time it was announced.

FWIW: The Buckeyes got a little lucky with Garcia. He was thought to be interested in heading to the OTC. Then when he decided to investigate colleges, Ohio State was not even initially in his plans. In fairness, Coach Ryan reached out to him, convinced him to visit and the kid fell in love with the program (Garcia is a devout Christian and evidently there's a strong religious undercurrent within the Buckeyes program). My point is that won't happen very often. Nick Sulzer was in Ohio and interested according to his brother's post. The Bucks chased Peppelman, ignored Sulzer until it was too late and were exceedingly fortunate to end up with Garcia. Coach Ryan made his own luck in this instance but there was still luck involved. I hope the Buckeyes will stay more focused on Ohio's best kids in the future. A Garcia type situation isn't likely to occur again.

I will now cease to be a buzz-kill. Enter Gary....

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

Hank...I agree with most of what you said with the notable exception of this:

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"But I don't really see Garcia--a Fargo champ-- as more special than Sponseller was at the time. "

If I recall correctly, Sponseller DNP at fargo going into his senior season (although he did place going into his junior year). There's a big difference between not placing and winning by double tech fall. I don't have any rankings from back then in front of me, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sponseller was around 8-10 at his weight. Garcia is #10 all weights (and I think he's better than that). He's an Alton/Peppleman/Evans type talent. In fact, I think he's better than everyone not named Stieber or Alton. Wrestling up a weight this year I think Garcia will dominate and after another summer at the OTC I think he'll give Sponseller all he can handle in the practice room even as a tru-frosh vs a senior.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 8, 2009

You're correct re: Sponseller in Fargo. I think it comes down to just how good Garcia is. If your assessment proves accurate, then this class does rate ahead of the other.

I'm glad we have this issue to debate. Three days ago the only discussion was whether or not the Buckeyes would bring in any studs besides Stieber. Now, they have arguably the second best recruiting class behind Penn State.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next