Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Ty Mitch decides to go to...
Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 2, 2009

Back to regularly scheduled programming here ...

Kevin Dresser is doing a really good job at VaTech in getting talented wrestlers on board. This past class was ranked 8th by InterMat with three top 100 recruits.

Remember that this was a program thought for dead by some when Brands left for Iowa and took the recruits with him. They've rebounded well.

Jesse Dong was a NCAA qualifier as a true frosh last year at VaTech. Brian Stephens signed with VaTech and is a true frosh this fall.

Devin Carter is already on board in this year's class -- him being the #1 ranked 112 pound wrestler in 2008-09, though he projects as a 133/141 at the next level.

Good fit for both, and congrats to Ty.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 3, 2009

That fence which was supposed to be built around Ohio a few years ago...it's about as porous as our southern border.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 4, 2009

Hank, it was only some posters on this website and a couple other ohio websites that spoke of "building a fence around ohio". its never been realistic. Cael isn't going to build one around PA either.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 4, 2009

I agree Coach Sanderson won't get every PA wrestler to come to Penn State, but I guarantee he'll make a run at every National level PA kid that fits his team...and he'll land his share. He's had the job for a few months, and his recruiting class for this year (and probably next) is better then any of Coach Ryan's.

Maybe I'm totally mistaken on this one, but I thought it was Coach Ryan who used that phrase first when he was hired. I thought I remembered hearing it on a Flo interview. Also, I don't think anyone believes that Ohio State could or should keep ALL Ohio wrestlers in state. The general point behind the "build a fence" comment was to keep as much as possible of Ohio's best in state...something the previous regime failed to do.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 5, 2009

Such ideas as building a fence, establishing a pipeline or my own personal favorite cherrypick the bluechips are just political rhetoric. Great ideas when you are selling the dream but very much euphemistic generalities meant to engage the emotional side of people.

I would like to see Demas as a Buckeye as I think he could be a super college wrestler.

You can't do anything about the one's that got away other than learn from your mistakes. That goes for recruits, job opps and the hottie at the bar.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 5, 2009

"He's (Cael) had the job for a few months, and his recruiting class for this year (and probably next) is better then any of Coach Ryan's."
--------------------------------------------------------------

sure, Cael is on honeymoon---- no one ever was heralded more as a new college coach than Cael has been at Penn St, a combo of (1) his star power and (2) a super wrestling states flagship school staggering with underachievement & desparate to turn it around.

but Cael had alot of $$$ to spend, i know that and i'm sure Cael knew it when he took the job--- and Pennsylvania's had a super amount of senior talent last year and it does this year too----- so its been a "Perfect Storm".

3 straight years under Ryan, Ohio st has beaten Penn St at NCAAs, and i'm betting it will be 4 straight. let's keep our eye on the prize

Bob-

Cael does have star power and that will affect a lot of recruiting decisions.

Iowa is winning championships but not in a totally dominant way as they saw under Gable. They are being shown to have some chinks in the proverbial armor. The competition across the board is much better than in the 80s. The reason is that coaching is much better and continues to improve. Cael is an excellent coach but even he had his limitations at ISU. PSU will be tougher in short time due to improved recruiting. Will he get the Iowa monkey off his back? It remains to be seen. I think getting all those bluechips to compete at the next level is going to rely heavily on his staff. Star power has little to do with actual development.

OSU has done a great job at the last 2 NCAAs. Getting over the next hurdle will be difficult. As getting 10 young twentysomethings to compete at their highest level in March is a juggling act that entails hard work, guidance and luck.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 5, 2009

yes Rex, "getting over the next hurdle will be difficult", in fact to win an NCAA team title is a HUGE undertaking as you would know firsthand.

few realize How Many colleges in NCAA history have ever won the Div I or equivalent title ?? only 5 outside the states of Iowa & Oklahoma -- none since Michigan State in 1967.

None in over 40 years. Penn st won in 1953 and Indiana actually won it in 1932, Minnesota has won 3X in the last decade, and Arizona st won in 1988.

until Ryan came along Ohio st had NEVER been 2nd and he's done it 2 years in a row, so i'm on board with the Ryan Express. He has given us hope.

Coach Ryan and staff are doing an excellent job. Top 5 every year is a realistic goal for tOSU. They have exceeded that. I do want to see OSU athletes AA that are on the bubble as that benchmark is important to me. If devoting your life to wrestling during college, then the AA status becomes very important.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2