Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Anyone know how the big visits for the Buckeyes have gone?
Brian Morrow added to this discussion on September 24, 2009

Yeah I know the whole Demas situation. I know some people pretty close to Demas situation....

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 25, 2009

Bill, Bob, etc...

I love that Coach Ryan wants the top kids in the nation at each weight class. But here's the problem. It's hard to get them. Top programs from across the country want those kids and some of those programs have certain recruiting advantages. Okie State is very inexpensive to attend (from what I understand) so Smith can use less money to get the same kids--which means he has more to spread around. Plus, schools like Okie State have to recruit outside Oklahoma because there's not enough home grown talent.

It's very tempting to recruit great out of state kids but smarter to chase ones that's are almost as good and in-state (when those kids exist). Put another way--if you swing for the fences, you end up striking out a lot. But if you relax your swing, you hit a lot of doubles. Doubles usually win the game.

Ryan's first major recruit class featured Nemec, Touris, Weakley, Sponseller, Harrington and Triggas. That's five in-state kids. Plus, had more money been available, guys like Straughn and Kilgore wanted to come. There's a built in advantage for Ohio State when recruiting in-state kids that is negated when you recruit out-of-state kids. The whole idea behind taking the Ohio State job was to have the chance to keep the best in-state kids. Yet Coach Ryan keeps passing up homegrown talent while he's chasing the #1's from somewhere else.

I agree with Bob--Jamie Clark was a "no brainer". That's a kid you have to have--and probably could have gotten--if the major focus wasn't on Kindig. Hindsight...I know. But if your philosophy is to bring Ohio's best to Ohio State then you don't make that mistake.

I'm sure Coach Ryan thought that the programs recent successes plus the rise of the Ohio RTC were tremendous lures. He's right--yet Kindig and Peppelman went elsewhere as did Oliver and Meade the year before. Meanwhile, a lot of good Ohio kids have ended up elsewhere. Buckeyes can't get them all but Jeremy Johnson, Jamie Clark, Jedd Moore, Sam White and Sean Dong were too good to ignore. Same for Max Thomusseit and Zach Toal. Too many Ohio studs are not ending up in Columbus. As stated, Coach Ryan can't land them all but it would be great to see him end up with a big fistful every year.

This recruiting class--Logan Stieber--still has a lot of possibilities. Demas, Sulzer, Squire and Mitch have not yet committed to the best of my knowledge. They're all from Ohio and all very good. Focus on them, keep the best in-state kids at home and then snag the occasional out-of-state stud--if he wants to come.

One other thing--give these out-of-state kids a deadline. Tell them you need a commitment by a certain time or pull the offer.

And for next year--Cam Tessari and Chris Phillips are my "gets."

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 25, 2009

Quotes from the Kornblut blog & my responses below (i would like to put my responses in BOLD so they can easily be differentiated but unfortunately DanC does not offer us that option anymore. Its VANILLA only at this ice cream stand, ha, ha !!) :

"This recruiting class--Logan Stieber--still has a lot of possibilities. Demas, Sulzer, Squire and Mitch have not yet committed to the best of my knowledge." ----from BobP: Mitch not being recruited nor considering ohio st, probably not Sulzer either and i think thats a mistake, i have told Ryan so re Sulzer. Demas has been given a good offer and is deciding. And i think ohio st has good chance to get Brad Squire who could be a legit sleeper, out of action first half of last season and never got back to his previous form. But Squire no-mistake style may pay dividends in college.

"One other thing--give these out-of-state kids a deadline. Tell them you need a commitment by a certain time or pull the offer." --- from BobP: ha, ha i am pretty sure thats not legal by NCAA rules. But i think college coaches do it, by inference at least.

"And for next year--Cam Tessari and Chris Phillips are my "gets." ---- from BobP: yes and think # 1 at 189 Andrew Campolattano from NJ too.

REMINDER:
Just a reminder that Ohio St is honoring J Jaggers in their National Champion Wall Ceremony tomorrow Saturday Sept 26 at 9am at Steelwood.

Immediately following at 10am the team will be having an open workout session that you are all invited to stay for.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 25, 2009

Brad Squire would be a terrific pickup. I think he's very "undervalued".

Keith Sulzer added to this discussion on September 25, 2009

Just to end the speculation- Coach Ryan has been in contact with Nick and a visit was discussed, (so bob he must have been listening!) In any case this is September and Nick is at the end of this process. While it's good to have options, it's also very stressful and he decided he did not want to add another team to the mix. Honestly- he would have loved the idea to wrestle with Logan Stieber but it's not going to happen. Had the conversation occurred earler- his decision might have been different.

Tom R listens --eventually.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2