Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: David Taylor Documentary
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on September 17, 2009

My friend Scott Goodpaster put this documentary together with help from Don Burrows on David Taylor and it is simply amazing. It's about 45 minutes and the information in this is just out of this world. You can watch it on Flowrestling and I couldn't get away from the video it was so good.

Here is the link: http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/play/201243

Great job on this documentary on an even greater person.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 17, 2009

btw, today Brian Smith head coach at Missouri tells me Zack TOAL his freshman from Troy Christian is doing very well. College coaches are frank about recruits from my experience, so he must be doing great !

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on September 17, 2009

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"My friend Scott Goodpaster put this documentary together with help from Don Burrows on David Taylor and it is simply amazing. It's about 45 minutes and the information in this is just out of this world. You can watch it on Flowrestling and I couldn't get away from the video it was so good.

Here is the link: http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/play/201243

Great job on this documentary on an even greater person."

I am interested to see this, but I question doing documentaries on 18 year olds. Might very well not be the case with this young man, but stuff like this is what seems to often lead to the inflated egos (see T.O, Chad Johnson, LeBron James, and on and on) and associated problems with many athletes today.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 17, 2009

Pretty fantastic info. Seems like what everyone says he is: good kid with great talent.

Gary: for all LeBron has been through and all that he has received, I think he has held it together exceptionally well. He gives back a lot, too.

The others you mention, not so much. And while it is a great amature piece I wouldn't confuse this as a "documentary" in the artistic fashion. It gets the job done.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on September 18, 2009

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Pretty fantastic info. Seems like what everyone says he is: good kid with great talent.

Gary: for all LeBron has been through and all that he has received, I think he has held it together exceptionally well. He gives back a lot, too.

The others you mention, not so much. And while it is a great amature piece I wouldn't confuse this as a "documentary" in the artistic fashion. It gets the job done."

I know a lot is given in his name, I just wonder how much is out of his pocket and how much from his sponsors. Probably never know.

"All he has been through" is no father and a lazy/goofy mother, and sadly that is the normal state for certain parts of society. So yea in some ways he has "held it together", but by most standards he has just done what you are supposed to do in that regard. I know I don't give my kids any extra credit for staying out of jail, we just kind of expect that.

Now I won't go into the out-of-wedlock children, that might just be my old-fashioned values.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on September 18, 2009

Since he's been out of HS, I've thought LeBron has been extraordinarily down to earth for the star he is.

You sound like a bitter old man criticizing whether or not he gives enough back. Who are you to judge that? I bet he's given a lot more than you, and certainly mountains more than me.

Also, in one post you bash him, and in the next you say that "he has just done what you are supposed to do." I don't think LeBron would disagree with you here, and what's your point? He should be chided for not exceeding your expectations for functioning in society?

The truth is, LeBron probably received more hype and media attention at a younger than any other athlete out there. Many people would be complete egomaniacs with that type of attention. LeBron is not.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on September 19, 2009

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Since he's been out of HS, I've thought LeBron has been extraordinarily down to earth for the star he is.

You sound like a bitter old man criticizing whether or not he gives enough back. Who are you to judge that? I bet he's given a lot more than you, and certainly mountains more than me.

Also, in one post you bash him, and in the next you say that "he has just done what you are supposed to do." I don't think LeBron would disagree with you here, and what's your point? He should be chided for not exceeding your expectations for functioning in society?

The truth is, LeBron probably received more hype and media attention at a younger than any other athlete out there. Many people would be complete egomaniacs with that type of attention. LeBron is not."

Ben, I am not judging anything at all. I am just not quite so quick to praise hiim when I don't know the complete circumstances. If that makes me a "bitter old man", so be it. But to be honest with you, age insults are pretty weak.

By the way, yea he is pretty much a complete egomaniac. "King James" embroidered on the seats of his Hummer? "Chosen 1" tattoed on his back? "LBJ MVP" shirt in public? Uh sure, nothing egocentric about those. Now, if you want ot excuse or defend those have at it. But to ignore or deny them is kind of silly.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 19, 2009

"but by most standards he has just done what you are supposed to do in that regard. I know I don't give my kids any extra credit for staying out of jail, we just kind of expect that."

These young men don''t have"standards" to live by in the normal sense. The talent that David Taylor and LB have transcends what 99.99% percent of the world has in relation to others in their area. Right is right and wrong is wrong for anyone but these guys, for all the adoration they receive, seem to handle it very well.

And picture the worst part of any urban city and that is bascially where LB grew up in Akron. Given the other issues you mentioned it is amazing he is as well adjusted as he is. He is doing with his God-given talent what we want to see athletes do: make themselves and others better for it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 19, 2009

Gloria James managed to raise a son who has displayed exceptional maturity throughout his life. It's one thing to have talent; it's another to avoid trouble and make smart decisions. Lebron is a very rare combination of tremendous talent, discipline and a strong sense of self. Props to him and Gloria.

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

""but by most standards he has just done what you are supposed to do in that regard. I know I don't give my kids any extra credit for staying out of jail, we just kind of expect that."

These young men don''t have"standards" to live by in the normal sense. The talent that David Taylor and LB have transcends what 99.99% percent of the world has in relation to others in their area. Right is right and wrong is wrong for anyone but these guys, for all the adoration they receive, seem to handle it very well.

And picture the worst part of any urban city and that is bascially where LB grew up in Akron. Given the other issues you mentioned it is amazing he is as well adjusted as he is. He is doing with his God-given talent what we want to see athletes do: make themselves and others better for it."

Who has come here that he has made better? Not Larry Hughes. Not Drew Gooden. Not Boobie Gibson. How good did Mo Williams look in the playoffs? Not Damon Jones. .

And I have to disagree. Those guys don't save lives, they don't make anyone's any better. They play games. At a high level? Sure. But games nonetheless. And yes, right is or should be right for them too. That you or anyone else give them these kind of passes is what brings us the thug athletes we have now.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Gloria James managed to raise a son who has displayed exceptional maturity throughout his life. It's one thing to have talent; it's another to avoid trouble and make smart decisions. Lebron is a very rare combination of tremendous talent, discipline and a strong sense of self. Props to him and Gloria."

You do know that Gloria gave her kid to another family to raise until she learned that he could be her meal ticket, don't you? That her contribution to him was buying him a very questionably Hummer with what amounted to his money. That her raising was running through Mentor's student section with her son's picture on a popsicle stick waving it around. That she live in government housing eating government food while her kid had Hummer and a closet full of shoes and throwback jerseys.

How was his maturity any more exceptional than the 99% of other kids who don't go to jail and don't get high school girls pregnant? How is maturity any more exceptional then the 17 year old tennis players who are classy enough to shake opponents hand both after victories AND after defeats?

Look, the guy can play basketball, though his ability to lead and win is still unproven. And at this point in his life that is about it.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on September 19, 2009

"That you or anyone else give them these kind of passes is what brings us the thug athletes we have now."

There is no way that this assertion belongs in a discussion about Lebron James.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on September 19, 2009

"Who has come here that he has made better? Not Larry Hughes. Not Drew Gooden. Not Boobie Gibson."

The history of Lebron James consists of his being the leader of teams that overachieve. St. Vs beating nationally-ranked teams, that were basketball factories typically attacting recruits from across the country much like Blair Academy does in wrestling? Are you kidding me? Lebron James took a bunch of his homeboys to the number one ranking in the country. With what talent other than James? Travis Romeo and Dru Joyce? They enjoyed their finest moments when James was running the show.

The Cavaliers team that made the finals was woefully short of all-star talent except for James and and aging center. How did they do it? By having a coach on the floor named Lebron James.

Do you really think that the Cavaliers had the best talent in the east? Moe Williams was beat up at point guard, prone to be physically taken off his game by stronger players. No mobility at center, no coordination from wild thing, no height (thou toughness to be sure) from the (apparent) head case playing the two, plus no real athleticism coming off the bench. That the Cavs earned the best record in the east was astounding.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on September 19, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Since he's been out of HS, I've thought LeBron has been extraordinarily down to earth for the star he is.

The truth is, LeBron probably received more hype and media attention at a younger than any other athlete out there. Many people would be complete egomaniacs with that type of attention. LeBron is not."

Ben, I am not judging anything at all. I am just not quite so quick to praise hiim when I don't know the complete circumstances. If that makes me a "bitter old man", so be it. But to be honest with you, age insults are pretty weak.

By the way, yea he is pretty much a complete egomaniac. "King James" embroidered on the seats of his Hummer? "Chosen 1" tattoed on his back? "LBJ MVP" shirt in public? Uh sure, nothing egocentric about those. Now, if you want ot excuse or defend those have at it. But to ignore or deny them is kind of silly."

The Hummer and tats were in High School. If you'll read my post, I said "Since he's been out of HS, I've thought LeBron has been extraordinarily down to earth for the star he is."

Even LeBron has said the Hummer with the embroidered seats was overboard.

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

""Who has come here that he has made better? Not Larry Hughes. Not Drew Gooden. Not Boobie Gibson."

The history of Lebron James consists of his being the leader of teams that overachieve. St. Vs beating nationally-ranked teams, that were basketball factories typically attacting recruits from across the country much like Blair Academy does in wrestling? Are you kidding me? Lebron James took a bunch of his homeboys to the number one ranking in the country. With what talent other than James? Travis Romeo and Dru Joyce? They enjoyed their finest moments when James was running the show.

The Cavaliers team that made the finals was woefully short of all-star talent except for James and and aging center. How did they do it? By having a coach on the floor named Lebron James.

Do you really think that the Cavaliers had the best talent in the east? Moe Williams was beat up at point guard, prone to be physically taken off his game by stronger players. No mobility at center, no coordination from wild thing, no height (thou toughness to be sure) from the (apparent) head case playing the two, plus no real athleticism coming off the bench. That the Cavs earned the best record in the east was astounding."

Truthfully, and yes I understand they did make the Finals, that Cavs team won what was arguably the worst conference in the history of American pro sports and then got their lunches handed to them by San Antonio.

In six years they have won one division championship, one conference title, and that is it. Better than some teams? Sure. A legacy? Far from it.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next